“An excellent golf club with a good restaurant”
Review of La Montecchia

La Montecchia
Price range: US$63 - US$97
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Proof that simple, traditional, vegetable-based dishes can hold their own in the Michelin guide, La Montecchia has maintained one star since 2009. The menu is 85% vegetarian, but also includes Alajmo family classics like Erminio's steak tartar. The wine list contains over 600 bottles, over half of which are available by the glass.
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Golf Club della Montecchia is located about 6-8 miles outside of central Padua, and is a charming, beautifully maintained club. Adjacent to the club is the Montecchia estate, which is a wine estate which also serves as a resort. Its restaurant functions on two stories and offers a delightful selection of Italian dishes, with emphasis of the cuisine of the Veneto. The food is tasty, at times delicate, and creative enough to have earned one Michelin star in 2008. One of the most memorable experiences at this restaurant id the assembly of a giant Millefoglie (Napoleon) for our entire group in front of our eyes and the delightful enjoyment of it, just moments later. Clearly a very enjoyable experience, day or night. Closed Mondays.

1  Thank Gabriel H

Reviewed 26 September 2016

We had lunch, which was delicious except one dish that was a bit
too salty. This is Michelin one star restaurant. I understood why it is not a two-stared.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

My husband and I ate in this restaurant as we were staying in the cottages next door ( also wonderful) The menu is not extensive and you pay for 2, 3 or 4 courses, with premiums for dishes such as lobster. We ordered a glass of Prosecco to start which was so silkily delicious we kept the bottle and then a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino which was decanted and served in the biggest balloon glasses that I've ever seen! I had a first course named simply "summer" which was a bowl of pureed aubergine, lightly cooked beans and fresh cherry tomatoes....sounds bland and simple but was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life. God knows how they get such simple ingredients to taste so sublime. I had steak for my main, also lovely, with Balsamic. Service was attentive and friendly, other diners all golfers staying in the hotel but good atmosphere. The bistro downstairs is also good for cheaper evening meals, especially with children, except for their pizzas which are stodgy.

1  Thank Virginia G
Reviewed 30 August 2015

This restaurant is at the Montecchia Golf Club and is part of the family Alajmo who seem to breed Michelin stars.

Sit outside on the terrace for views over the greens or sit inside .the main restaurant which was originally a tobacco drying room.

The food is superb and always pushes the boundaries. This season is concentrated on vegetarian and vegan dishes, with a handful of meat dishes thrown in for good measure. I never understood how it was possible to be a Veggie until now, but with food at this level it is.

Try the unusual and you will not be disappointed, ask Mauro, the head waiter to choose your wines, and you will be doubly not disappointed !

Reviewed 7 April 2015

I couldn't even finish the desert. First time ever. Usually I enjoy helping my wife with her desert. My son was able to eat up. At the neighbouring table they sent deserts back untouched.
But it was quite delicious though.
The crispy goose leg was also a huge portion, as well as the fish starter.
Quite few dishes in the prime tasting menu (five including appetizer), but enormous portions.
Reminds me more of Bib Gourmand than michelin star. But the room and service were up to par.
Maybe a lack of research on my behalf, but beware, you are not in for interesting experiments, and daring dishes if you choose the tasting menu nr. 1.