“Try and live long enough for your food to arrive”
Review of Le Gandhi

Le Gandhi
Ranked #25 of 257 Restaurants in Lorient
Price range: US$9 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2017

I will try to be fair about this restaurant, so the good things first. It won't take long. Pleasant ambience, welcoming staff who took our order quite quickly. Food good, pleasantly spicy, I had the vegetable bhajis. Mind you there was more than half an hour wait before they arrived. Then another half hour passed. No sign of the main course. I should mention there were only 3 other couples in the restaurant apart from ourselves and 2 people called in for their pre-ordered takeaways. So, in no way was the restaurant busy. (I estimate there was room for about 40 covers in all) Time dragged on, nothing. Then the waitress arrived and aid "we have no prawns" I had ordered at the very beginning a gambas massala. How could they possibly have not known until that moment, well over an hour after we placed our order, that there were no gambas? Obviously they intended me to look at the menu (again) and choose something else,and then wait another half an hour whilst they cooked it. We gave up, paid for our starters and drinks and left.
There is no way I could recommend this restaurant since therewas no evidence of an apology and nobody showed signs of being sorry
I did tell them I was goingvto write a review for TripAdvisor!

1  Thank Ann W

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Due to business commitments its been a couple of months since we've eaten here, but once again we had a great meal. Our eldest son is home with us for a while and we thought it would be a nice treat for him as we'd been raving about this place for a while.
It was the chef/owners birthday and so we got a complimentary aperitif followed by a brilliant vegetarian thali consisting of a starter of salad, onion bhaji, pakora and probably the nicest samosa i've ever eaten...along with a pickle tray. Main was a creamy vegetarian curry then for pudding a homemade kulfi ice cream.
All totally delicious and made from scratch and all for around eleven euros, which I think is super value for money.
The thali isn't available at weekends or public holidays which is my only criticism....otherwise we'd eat here pretty much every weekend when at home...

Reviewed 15 April 2017

We'd been promising to try this place for ages after passing it in the car and I am so pleased we gave it a go. decor is nothing flash but perfectly acceptable but the food is outrageously good!
Been back several times and had brilliant service and brilliant food every time and this is now our go to restaurant when in Lorient.
Every time I've eaten here I have had the Vegetarian Thali which costs €10.80 for three courses. For starters I've had a plate of Onion bhaji, Pakora and a samosa served with salad and a pickle tray. The homemade lime pickle is the best ive ever tasted. For mains you get whatever the vegetarian dish of the day is and i've had a delicious dhaal, a lovely veg korma with cashew cream and on the last occasion the chef/owner came out the kitchen and asked what my favourite dish was (spinach and paneer) and he prepared it fresh for me...home made cheese too! Pudding is a halva and is a perfect way to end the meal.
Someone on here says it's expensive but I really don't know what they ordered as I think it is absolutely tremendous value! Three courses for two people; a quarter litre of rosé, a litre of badoit water and a coffee for €28.
The waiter is friendly and speaks english of you need it but you'll know all the names of dishes on the menu...and if you want it a bit spicier than the French like it then just ask!
Brilliant and can't wait to go back again...which won't be long!!!

Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Lovely clean and colourful restaurant, very nice staff and a great chef. Food is flavour ful and delicious and is well spiced... Unusual for France. This is the best Indian we have had here in 12 years. Very reasonable prices, had the Veggie thali, starter main and pud for under 11eur a head. Will be back.

Reviewed 3 August 2015

We had a delicious meal served by a very accommodating hostess who spoke very good English. There was a good choice of vegetarian food.