“Unimpressive for adults that already know a bit about electricity”

Musee EDF Electropolis
Ranked #6 of 40 things to do in Mulhouse
Reviewed 5 April 2015

We did not have any child with us and we have already visited a few science museums with electricity sections (for instance in Milano, Italy and in Munich, Germany). Maybe due to these reasons, we have been disappointed. Indeed, compared to other museums, Electropolis has few ancient apparatuses; the much-advertised electricity show basically only shows to children that when "minuses" (i.e., electrons) are removed from materials, they want to come back and in so doing, they generate sparks. The spoken explanations (for instance at the entrance, with the model city and in the electricity show) are in French only. Almost no explanation is provided on how a nuclear power generator works; note that the France national grid relies heavily on nuclear power; maybe they are ashamed of it...From the show perspective, there is not even any big sparks generator, which is almost commonplace in similar museums. We'd save two parts only: the history of electricity, with a clear and interesting explanation of the role of the earliest scientists; and the impressive generator at the lower level of the museum.

1  Thank Sergio b

Reviewed 28 January 2015

I was actually reluctant to go here, given that I did not think I would be interested. However I was very pleasantly surprised to find it fascinating! Well presented, relevant and interactive, I learned heaps and thoroughly enjoyed the couple of hours we spent here.

Reviewed 6 January 2015

It was a decent museum. Lots of detailed information on how electricity was discovered and the subsequent inventions. Very cool opening scene describing how towns and cities evolved using electricity. The big generator in the basement was a highlight. The outside exhibits are shabby, tired and need an uplift. Children's area in the basement looked good if you have kids. Lots of placards in English.

1  Thank sarahjeaton
Reviewed 27 December 2014

The exhibit starts with an extensive model city that takes you through how we use electricity and some of the ways we produce and transport it. Be aware that the voice over for this area comes in both French and English so if you have a preference wait 5 or so minutes for the next language to begin.
The rest of the museum is a series of rooms with items in to explain the discovery of electricity by scientists, to the development of initial products to their full commercialisation. All of the descriptions for the exhibits are given in French, English and German.
There was a demonstration on static electricity which happens 3 times a day for 30 minutes. The demonstration is given in French, though I was given an English transcription but I feel that you don't follow it very well with the transcription as whilst I was able to follow (with my basic French and knowledge of electricity) my brother had neither of these and felt entirely lost.
You end with the big machine, a steam drive generator which is an awesome sight to see and a great end to the journey.
The temporary exhibit on radioactivity and nuclear power is entirely in French and this was followed by an interactive games area to demonstrate some of the different applications of electricity.

Overall I found it a very rewarding experience, highly amusing, however it would have been nice if the tri-lingual descriptions were carried throughout the entire museum as the ending spoilt it slightly for us.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Very interesting with a tour guide who is obviously passionate about her job. Our guide adapted the tour to her public.