All reviews sun area indoor and outdoor pools brisk walk reception staff lake garda approx minutes flat walk relaxing holiday room was large stayed here for three nights bus service mini bar lovely hotel star hotel would highly recommend this hotel busy road each evening
Reviewed 1 October 2015

During a recent 3 night stay at Hotel Acquaviva del Garda we were faced with nothing but endless rules and restrictions.

Can we have an Iron to the room please? No, because apparently it's a health and safety risk and in the Receptionists words, "you could burn yourself".

Can we just relax by the outdoor pool and enjoy the sunset? No, because even though the Hotel booklet states the pool is open until 19:00 during September, the lifeguard obviously wanted to finish early and we were told to leave at 18:20. Great service.

Can we use the free wifi? No because the hotel has run out of wifi codes and even when we did eventually get one, we had to constantly log back in again (that's when it worked of course)

Can we use the not-so-warm indoor pool facilities around the Spa area? Not unless you wear your provided swimming hat otherwise it's a no-no. Oh and the same applies for the outdoor pool. We couldn't get a clear explanation for this rule, especially as there's no signs to explain the reasoning.

The only upside I would say is that our room was very spacious but still 3/4 full with unnecessary shelving and storage units. We were provided with two single beds pushed together for a couple and the shower drove us crazy, spraying all over the floor despite pointing it as far towards the wall as the basin was too small. I felt sorry for the maid having to mop up the built up mini pond in our bathroom every day.

As you can guess, we weren't impressed and won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jonesy_Travels
Reviewed 27 September 2015

This is a very nice and comfortable hotel except that the hotel imposes some idiosyncratic rules:-

1) No self-made coffee in your room (kettles are a fire risk !!)

2) No swimming in the hotel pool at temperatures of less than 18ºC (risk of hypothermia!!)

3) No WiFi if they are holding a conference - it breaks their download limit!!

Room Tip: get a room with a view (of the lake:-)
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David T
Reviewed 27 August 2015

I had high hopes for Acquaviva del Garda after reading the online reviews. I was disappointed from the start. This is hotel has so much potential, but is not yet a four star hotel. If you are looking for a place to just relax and use the spa then this is a great hotel. The grounds are beautiful, and the room is large and comfortable. However, If you are looking for a hotel that is good for sightseeing and excels in customer service, then perhaps look elsewhere for a four star hotel.

The closest bus stop is 400m or about a 6-7 minute walk. The bus runs only until 8 pm and about every 30-40 minutes. I would suggest staying in the town of Desenzano. Desenzano has a ferry port. The ferry port is needed if you plan on visiting the other towns of the Lake Garda area. Also, taxis are hard to come by at night and not dependable.

The Good: Rooms are spacious and clean for the most part.
The hotel is clean and bright. It is very modern.
The breakfast buffet is one of the best I have had in my travels.

The bad: The staff is not on par with a 4 star hotel.
The check in was quick, but they told us nothing about the hotel or how to get around the area. The only time the front desk provided information was when we asked. They were knowledgeable and provided maps upon asking.
I could not open the door to the balcony without many bugs flying in.
The ceiling on my room was covered with remains of dead squashed insects.
I did not know the hotel had a pool until my last day, when I spotted it from the roof top terrace. The terrace area has such potential, but only contains weather beaten outdoor furniture without cushions.
The front desk staff is business like and not that welcoming.
At checkout, I was told that only one person could assist me even though two other clerks were just standing around.

The amenities of the room were not that great. In the bathroom there was 2 towels, a bar of soap, a shower cap, and a gel labeled shampoo/shower gel. No wash cloth. The room had 2 robes and 1 pair slippers.

We had booked 2 rooms. One room had 2 chairs and the other room had none. Not even a chair at the desk.

I did email the hotel before arriving, and asked the best way to get to the hotel from the train station. I was told best is to contact the local tourism office for a bus schedule. Every other hotel I have contacted during this trip provided detailed instructions, and also, they offered to arrange transportation to hotel if needed. When we arrived at the train station, we decided to take a taxi because of all of our luggage. However, there were no taxis to be found and so, we called the taxi service. After being told that there would be a 15 min wait and waiting for 45 min, we gave up waiting and walked the 2 miles with our luggage. We arrived at the hotel quite tired and sweaty. Here is the email from the front desk:

"The best way to get from the railway station to the hotel is by taxi or by bus.
Desenzano del Garda (the railway station) is not so far from the hotel. I suggest you to contact the Tourism Information office to know the timetable of the bus and the taxi fees Best regards,"

This hotel is great for the spa goer or a business hotel, but is not at all a four star hotel for a tourist.

Room Tip: If you are a tourist select a hotel in Desenzano
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank img712
Reviewed 17 August 2015

Currently enjoying a relaxing in this very well run hotel. Staff have been charming, helpful and responsive to all requests. The hotel provides a wide range of facilities, is very clean and good food. The hotel is a good 30 minute walk from the centre of Disenzano or 10 minutes by bus/ taxi. The private beach and facilities are really good. Definately will return!

Room Tip: Rooms with view of outdoor pool or lake view.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2015

Leaving chaotic Venice to Acquaviva was a blessing. This is truly a beautiful peaceful place. Everything on this site was so peaceful. The private sunbathing area by the lake and the pool were the highlight of my trip. I did not use the spa so i can not comment on that. The staff was very nice. I arrived early and they held my bags. I was given a locker in the spa to store my things while i waited for my room to be ready. Breakfast was fantastic! Great selection. My room was great. Very roomy and comfortable.Bathroom was spacious. Balcony was very peaceful. The only negative was that my air did not seem to be working properly. I did not complain about it because i was ok with it. Over all i would highly recommend this hotel for some well deserved peace and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo