“Chased down the street by waiter for 1 Euro extra for service charge”
Review of La Mangiatoia

La Mangiatoia
Ranked #24 of 101 Restaurants in Volterra
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I am writing this just after I have been chased down the street for 1 Euro extra in service charge. They put a 15% service charge on our bill. The bill came to 29.50 before service charge and they asked for a 4.50 service charge. I put down €33 including service charge and thought that was adequate considering we were never presented the wine menu. We saw other tables being given the wine menu who had a choice to buy a carafe. We would have purchased his if we were given the option. All our service was was asked for food, given food and then told the price. I had to ask for an actual bill. To then be almost forced in the street to pay an extra Euro. I was in another street and had been walking for 2 mins before they chased me. Absolutely appalling. I would not recommend this unfriendly establishment. I am annoyed I gave in and paid but felt I had to as the waiter was causing a scene. Very embarrassing. You should never be forced to pay service.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

We were here last week, passing through the town of Volterra. We needed a quick bite so stopped here. The pizza was terrific - just the right balance of dough, cheese, and sauce. We sat outside at the tables so we could enjoy the atmosphere and people watch.

The service was reasonably quick, pizza right out of the hot pizza oven, and the house wine was good.

Great little place!

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Very good and speedy service. I chose the pizza Sexy which had spicy sausage and a lovely thin base. Here got two weeks, will be back again. Priced very reasonably considering the central location.

Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

Great climate and really good food. If you want to listen to all time best rock, eat great pizza and drink 1litre beer - this is a place for you!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

We sat outside on a bench with others had 2 pizzas and a drink each. The pizza was ok and what I would have expected for 7.50 Euros each. But then to be charged 15 Euros for service? You have got to be kidding me. I feel ripped off, I didn’t see this charge stated anywhere.