“The most authentic cuisine in Viterbo (even according to the locals)”
Review of Il Richiastro

Il Richiastro
Ranked #11 of 337 Restaurants in Viterbo
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant at lunchtime. Being solo,
I was proposed a table outside, although the garden was not prepared for guests; it was obvious a table for two in the restaurant wouldn't be sacrificed. I was also given a used tablecloth. I didn't get annoyed as I sensed I would at least be served some good food and I knew that my enthusiasm would change the ambience (which proved true). Indeed, I tasted with a lot of pleasure a soup with spelt, chicory and asparagus; then (delicious) boiled meat meatballs (a favourite of grandmas, the server told me, as they can eat them even without teeth!) with broad bean purée with apple and honey; and then last, but believe me not least, pecorino, i.e. creamed goat cheese, with chillies and honey served with celery sticks (not for the faint hearted). Although I expected a kinder welcome, I don't regret. I did indeed enjoy my lunch and I'm glad places like this one still exist in touristic areas.

IlRichiastro, Proprietario at Il Richiastro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Sorry that you believe we have not been welcomed with all our attention. It was not like that, believe it.
We thought we would prefer the garden and maybe the blanket (not the tablecloth) could have been inadvertently spotted ... However we are happy that the food liked it, this for a restaurant is a key factor! It will always be a pleasure to receive it at our restaurant.

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

incredible food and service in a simplistic atmosphere. Home cuisine that you cannot taste anywhere else. Let them guide you through the menu, and take your time. Do not worry, they are patient. Go Go Go.

Reviewed 30 September 2016

Il Richiastro is open only three days a week, and its menu is very limited, but you will be treated to the best soups you have ever tasted. We had the ceci and castagne (chickpeas and chestnuts) and the lentils and mushrooms, both of which were spectacular. The portions were generous, so we did without a pasta course. (You can get a four-soup tasting if you prefer.) The fegatelli were excellent, but the tripe was exceptional. It was pork tripe, not the usual veal or beef, and the sauce was a white sauce, without tomato, with a little cinnamon to flavour it. A puree of fava beans with honey and onion accompanied our main courses.

The service is very friendly and informative, and the dining room is comfortable and atmospheric. Il Richiastro should certainly be on your list when you visit Viterbo.

Thank James Norman Re... D
Reviewed 7 December 2015

Loved this restaurant....tucked away in the alleyways of Viterbo it was tricky to find but it was worth the bother.We went early knowing that it would fill up quickly( and it did).
Our waiter was exceptionally helpful and described all the dishes in depth.Soups and pasta and meat,a large choice of options, and anarray of desserts, all homemade,were available.Typical food from the Tuscia region..cooked with passion and care.A recommended visit to anyone who wants to taste real, slow food at its best.The price range is moderate, I would not say economical ,but quality and genuinity is ensured.

Reviewed 25 November 2015

Il Richiastro is a delicious homey restaurant with wonderful modern art pieces as decor and both comforting and creative menu items. We started off with the restaurant's famous "bruschetta" - slices of warm bread with a series of different sauces. Then we had a sampling of soups with legumes and vegetables, each one more delicious than the next. I especially loved the lentil soup with mushrooms! On sunny days you can enjoy the lovely patio outside. Highly recommended!