“Best ristorante”

Ristorante Acquasalata
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Ristorante Acquasalata is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 510 Restaurants in Viareggio
Price range: US$47 - US$76
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Best pasta I eat in Italy !!! All the dishes were very good and fresh! Amazing ristorante !!! And good service

Reviewed 13 December 2016

This super little restaurant made an important evening great. We took clients who have eaten in some of the best restaurants around the world and they were impressed. The staff were friendly and efficient, guiding us through the menu in English. The food was of a really good quality and standard, as was the wine. I hope that they continue to to do well and thrive. We would certainly return with or without clients.
My only one, slightly negative point is that a few of us chose the Tempura lobster for a main and although it was good, we all said it would have been better as a starter.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

After experiencing an unbelievably good lunch at a competitor, we planned on returning there Monday - but it was closed. So we had to look elsewhere and the next choice, (culled from our trusty Italian food guide), was Acquasalata. Boy - were we lucky!

You will walk past and miss this unassuming gem of a restaurant - and this should make you very sad. Because you will have missed, (IMHO), the best “bang for your buck” restaurant I have ever had the pleasure of taking lunch. Honestly.

Where do I begin? Let's start with the wine list, or to be more precise - the “Who's-Who” of Italian wine. It actually comes in book form - honest. Also, for those who do not drink alcohol, they have a very extensive “list”, of mineral-water. Not something I concern myself with too much to be honest. Up to this lunch, the best white wine this holiday, was an innocuous house-wine in another Viareggio restaurant. So as my knowledge of Tuscan white wine is limited, I asked for a recommendation. What I got was an educational, blow-by-blow account of every local region, grape variety and style. This was a gentleman who really knew his stuff. From the bewildering choice, I heard the name of a grape variety, not common in Italy - so I chose that. My wife looked on in panic. Knowing that when it comes to wine, I can be a little (cough) “over-enthusiastic”. However, it was superb and best of all - was a mere €25 a bottle. From there on - the good news just kept rolling-in.

My wife began with a delicious grilled octopus, followed by a classic linguine with clams, datterini tomato and fresh herbs - wonderful. I started with a monumentally good “Fantasy” of seafood. It began with oysters served two ways. The traditional way on the half shell and shucked in a shot-glass, with a piquant shallot and mild vinegar dressing. Delicious. Next came two more huge plates of prepared, fresh-tasting (raw) fish. To describe them all would take pages - but all were wonderful. Save that is, for a timbale of white fish with capers, where the caper flavour dominated a little too much. It did cost €35 but was worth every cent. My main course was a tranche of perfectly steamed cod, with an accompaniment of the sweetest red onions I have ever eaten. I should mention that before we had our starters, we had a “pre-starter” course consisting of deep-fried potato croquettes with Bechamel, accompanied by the Viareggio classic - deep fried baby shrimp. Astonishingly good.

As we waited for our desserts, we pondered on how good they would be. Our favourite restaurant in Viareggio, (up to that point), had employed a classically trained “patissier” who delivered breathtakingly complex and daring, (not to mention delicious), desserts. Could Acquasalata match that? Well the answer honestly is no - but they were still staggeringly good. Before the desserts arrived, we had another intermediate course of whipped cream, with a fragrant, delicious sauce, (fig?). The waiter smiled and told us, “To prepare your mouth for the sweetness of the desert” and how right he was. My wife had what can only be described as a “deconstructed” banana-split - which she adored. I had Malaga biscuits, with cream, crushed meringue and a rum sauce and it was epic. The Malaga biscuits were more like a light sponge-cake but the whole thing worked incredibly well.

As we sat back, utterly and completely satisfied, I popped the question (no...not “that” question). “So which was best - this lunch or our previous favourite”? At this point, we had not received the bill, so we're unaware of the total. My wife pondered for a minute before declaring it an honourable draw. She also estimated the cost, and to be honest, I wasn’t too far from her estimate. However, when the bill arrived, we had the most pleasant of shocks. It was an astonishing bargain - and I do mean astonishing! For a meal of this quality at these prices it was quite breathtaking. No doubt there are some who will carp but they are buffoons. We ate and drank like royalty - for €80 a head. Three courses, two intermediate courses, four glasses of Ferrari sparkling wine. One while we read the menu, one with the “amuse-bouche”. Then a bottle of boutique Tuscan white wine, a glass of superb Moscato plus - a glass of the greatest dessert wine in the world (IMHO), Donnafugata Ben Rye - plus coffee and exquisite petit-fours - for €80 a head? I promise you - you will never see a better bargain. I swear, food such as this would cost at least twice as much in London.

If you’re in Viareggio and you love good food - this place is a MUST visit.

1  Thank JandApe
Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

We had a great time at acquasalata. The food is absolutely delicious and is great value for money - the whole staff and especially Luigi was lovely, very welcoming and very professional. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Relatively new restaurant that I tried for the first time this year in April and enjoyed very much with friends who had advised to book and go there. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the fish/food, price value for money as well as service. Highly recommended as I shall make sure to go again whenever I visit Viareggio again.