All reviews close to the hotel borromean islands balcony overlooking stayed two nights ferry terminal reception staff perfect location lovely hotel lakeside stresa parking road cappuccino isola villa
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the San Gottardo, one night in room 813 on the 3rd floor of the main building, and one night in apartment 1in the dependence. Room 813 was excellent: not for gorgeous design but because it’s perfectly renovated, airco, very clean, excellent beds for parents and two children, spacious bathroom. The second night we moved to the dependance in the back alley., into a one bedroom apartment with and additional sofa bed. Very spacious, although no airco but a fan. Unfortunately there are a lot of people walking through the alley in the night, a bar disposes of its garbage and in the morning the hotel kitchen is steaming the milk for the cappuccinos. This noise level worked for our kids but my wife who is a light sleeper was exhausted in the morning and eventually even I woke up.
The staff is very friendly, the hotel,looks out over the lake, nearby there are tennis courts and a fantastic infinity pool with a view over the lake (9€ pp) and lots of rental bikes for decent prices.
I would go back again, but then make sure I a room in the main building.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Good hotel overall. Has a nice parking nearby, not 200m as they say but few minutes walk. Clean. Matresses are old and so uncorfortable. Breakfast is poor, but ok for 3 stars. I was not sure about it but they proposed me my two kids to pay 5 euro only (one was sick so only one would pay) so we accepted. When it came bill they said my little girl eat 2 eggs whites so they charged her. Never trust italians. I should have argued. Destroy a morning for 5 eur? No thanks. Keep my money and you will never see me again. Totally unfair. My advice: Stay Out.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2017

After my horrible stay at a B&B in Stresa I booked lastminute this hotel were I was so lucky to find a room for 4 people. It was in a separate building behind the hotel but very new and large and clean and could have used all the hotel facilities. Amazing buffet breakfast! Parking not close to the hotel but still free. The hotel is in the center in a beautiful position!

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank FrancescaP_74
Reviewed 26 October 2017

We really enjoyed our stay here. Very spacious room with 3 French windows opening on to a balcony overlooking the small ferry terminal at Pallanza. Modern shower-room with nice toiletries and overall a good standard of house-keeping.
The reception staff were particularly friendly and helpful and offered good suggestions. The breakfast was good but we didn't eat dinner in the restaurant as we felt it lacked atmosphere in the evenings. However there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance.
We used the hotel as a base for exploring the region and did some hiking in the various National Parks including the Antrona Valle. We also had a lovely day on the lake using the frequent ferries which stop at the Borromean Islands and across to Stresa. The palazzo and gardens on Isola Belle were quite spectacular and a wonderful revelation - well worth a visit.
We had no problem finding a free parking space near the hotel although you have to ensure that you don't park in front of the hotel on a Friday when the market is held.
The choice of Pallanza was the right one as we discovered that Intra (the main part of Verbania ) was much busier and more commercial. There is a nice walk along by the lakeside into Intra where you can visit the impressive Botanical Gardens at Villa Taranto.
Thanks to the staff at Hotel San Gottardo for a great holiday!

Room tip: Pay extra for a lake view!
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Enjoyed a one night stay here for our anniversary, we were delighted to be upgraded to a lake view room. View was amazing. Hotel is opposite the ferry point and parking is just opposite the hotel, free spaces are white. Room very clean and looked liked it was recently refurbished. Great service from staff. We only wish we could have stayed longer. Would definately recommend this hotel as a great price for a lovley hotel in a stunning area.

Room tip: Lake view room
Date of stay: October 2017