All reviews old town art museum very nice hotel bit dated bed was very comfortable quiet location wonderful location glass of wine piazza terrace fabio hill
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

On checking in, the arrogance of the chap was something we had not experienced in our previous thirty one days in Italy. We doubt he was Italian as his attitude was so very different. He asked for our passports (three Australian passports, two in one room and one in the other, remember this as it adds to the story!) and said we could have them back later. We asked for them back at least twice and eventually they were available around dinner time to my husband and I, our friend got his back a little later. Meanwhile we were given our keys, and took ourselves to the second floor where we were unable to unlock the door. Back to reception, our abrupt chap came up with a steak knife which he proceeded to use to unlock the door. We were left astounded but managed to ask if we would have to use a knife instead of a key to unlock the door each time we returned. We were assured it would be fine so in to the room we went. Inside the room was very clean but no fridge. Not a big deal for most but one of the reasons for choosing this hotel was to have a fridge for my husbands medication. Oh well we were told you can put the meds in the fridge downstairs and the freezer pack in their freezer. An inconvenience but as the fridge had only broken down the previous day and a new fridge would be available the next day we decided that for a day we would go to their kitchen twice daily for the medication. After unpacking a few things we were about to head out when there was a knock at the door saying that they were offering us another room as perhaps the new fridge wouldn’t be coming the next day! Fine we said so we moved everything to the room next door which again was nice and clean and more spacious and had a fridge. Great stuff really and we were happy that we didn’t have to trudge down stairs for the medication and also use a knife if the lock didn’t open. Before meeting our friend for dinner we showered and the shower leaked badly, not wanting to complain as the chap was not very friendly we thought we would cope with this, so put a towel down after each shower for the next three nights. Towels were replaced daily so we had dry towels. On the last day we thought we would finalise our bill before we went out for drinks and dinner. Couldn’t be done till six pm we were told. My husband went back down at a little before six and was told rudely “I said not until six pm”. He sat in the nicely appointed sitting area watching the clerk and his two offsiders chat until six pm when he went over to them to pay. Took him two minutes to take our money but couldn’t answer why he couldn’t take the money at 10 to six!!! After an early breakfast, which was very nice, we checked out to catch a train a little after 7am having a bit of a laugh about the whole situation, it seems our friends shower head kept falling down but he coped. Off to Rome we go where my husband and I were staying one night before flying back to Australia. We put our friend on his fast train to Venice for the next part of his holiday. On checking in to our hotel in Trastevere we were sickened to find that my passport was there but the second passport was our friends passport in my husbands clearly labelled rfid passport cover!!! Thus a trip to Venice for my husband to swap the passports as our friend’s phone had only an Australian chip and he was uncontactable! Unnecessary expense and our last day ruined!!! The hotel itself is positioned well and rooms fine but bathrooms obviously require work! Breakfast is pretty good for Italy. Desk staff could used a personality transplant and perhaps be reminded about customer service. Breakfast staff very welcoming, the older chap who mad3 our early breakfast was lovely.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank RickyG48
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

A lovely, comfortable hotel well placed to easily access the historic town of Spoletto. The staff are friendly and efficient and went out of their way to be helpful: we asked the hotel staff to make a booking for us at a local restaurant during the 2mondi fsetival. When they were unable to raise the restaurant on the phone, they sent a member of staff to make the booking in person! Well done.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2018

This hotel has many good features, which is why I chose it. It has a wonderful location, approximately halfway between the lower town where the train station is and the upper town where the church and the viaduct are. The public areas are beautiful. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated in an understated way. The food offered at breakfast is perfectly fine, and includes a variety of homemade cakes. So what was the problem? First of all, we had booked the junior suite. Based on the photos on the website, the room we were assigned was not it. Our room was the triple room pictured. It faced the front square and had one large window. Therein lies the problem! We were in town during the Flower Festival. The town was swarming with people. It was cool in evening and we tried to keep the window open. But the noise from people in the bar across the square, along with cars and scooters, made it impossible to sleep. There was some event in the Art Museum the second night, from which the sound of live music went on until well after midnight. Even worse was the cigarette smoke. The stench woke us up the first night, and we closed the window. Early in the morning, (3 or 4 AM) we smelled smoke again, and this time it was coming from within the hotel. We opened our bedroom door, and the smell was overpowering. Sickening! They call themselves a non-smoking hotel, but this is simply not true. Between the noise and the smoke,we found ourselves dreading the moment on subsequent nights when we had to return to the hotel and go to bed. I mentioned the problem with the cigarettes at the front desk in the morning,and they blamed it on people smoking outside. When we said it came from within the hotel, they seemed dubious. I doubt if we could have changed rooms during the Festival, as it attracts masses of people, but I should have requested a room change after that. I should also have inquired about the room I booked but didn't get, and for which I was charged anyway. The junior suite doesn't face the square, so if I had gotten the room I had booked, the problems with noise and smoke might have been avoided. As it is, let me dissuade you from booking a room that overlooks the square if you require peace and quiet. Sadly, I would have to dissuade you from booking this hotel at all if you despise the smell of cigarettes. You may avoid the smell from people smoking on the street if you don't have a window, but there is no escaping smokers within the hotel. At least the downstairs breakfast room was smoke-free. But after the first two days, breakfast was moved to the terrace, where guests were permitted to smoke. To make matters worse, the room prices were considerably higher during the Festival, which is when the square out front was noisier and smokier than ever. The smoke problem didn't improve when the festival was over, but at least the square was quieter after that. I expected to like this hotel, but I I have to say that staying here is something we endured rather than enjoyed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the square if you value peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JonesieLinthicum
Reviewed 20 May 2018

Hotel Charleston is a charming mid level hotel half way up the hill of Spoleto. It is surrounded by the most wonderful and classic town scape. Friendly service provided throughout our stay and very good advice on where to go in Spoleto.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Excellent address in the centre of Spoleto's exciting Old Town, clean, warm welcome, friendly staff, prices a nearly too cheap.
Very nice bedroom with a stunning view over the houses besides.
A lot of reasons to recommend this place.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo