“Great Lake Views. In the heart of Riva.”

Hotel Sole Relax & Panorama
Ranked #16 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Nothing beats a balcony overlooking the lake. And that's the reason to stay here. The rooms are clean, nice and adequate. The restaurant is decent - especially the outdoor dining by the lakeside. Breakfast is ok - pretty standard fare for the area - although it's very to have a leisurely breakfast while gazing at the lake.

My only complaint s- some of the front desk staff were rather unhelpful on multiple occassions. For example, the room temps are centrally controlled and set at 24 C. It was a very hot week (32-35 C) and I was told they couldn't lower thermostate below 24 C when I asked for 23 degrees (they said it was hotel policy).

Room Tip: Request a balcony with Lake View.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flyer427

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I would like to start out by saying that I am writing my review from my room (which I'm not sure is allowed) because the staff is doing nothing to help. My second point is that I am very easy to please... clean rooms, and a smile and I'm pretty happy.. well I can tell you... I am not happy.

Check in was fine, and the front desk clerk was friendly. They don't tell you that their parking requires you to walk downhill with your bags on a very busy street. Not the end of the world but not great.

Now, I have been to Riva del Garda before.. so when I booked, I SPECIFICALLY asked them to be on the back of the building as I know that there are shows in the square and I was bringing my older father so I wanted, at least, his room to be at the back to avoid noise. Due to high demand, they said they couldn't accommodate but that the city requires loud music to stop at 11... well it's way past eleven.: and there is a rock concert going on outside my window.. so I can only guess that my father is experiencing the same thing.

Finally, our room is very warm for my standards (25 degrees) but the AC is centrally controlled so we called down and (again) they said there was nothing they could do. Now, this may sound picky... but I don't want to be sweaty while I sleep.:: I have had hotels that put a minimum on their AC.. but never one that is centrally controlled. Ridiculous.

I am very disappointed as this is my 3rd time in RDG and we stayed at another hotel the other two times and loved it; but it is currently being renovated. Save your $300 per night... unless you don't mind a pink floyd cover band outside your window at midnight.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Montrealer87
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for 7 nights as part of an inghams holiday package. We had researched the hotel website and we were very excited for our stay. On arrival, we were not disappointed, we were greeted by one of the hotel porters and our luggage taken to the hotel on a little truck whilst we walked through the square. This was most helpful as, being nurses, my friend and I suffer from shoulder and back conditions. The location is perfect, the hotel is right in the main square with wonderful views out towards the lake and mountains. The square has loads of nice places to eat and relax with coffees bars, ice-creams parlours etc and a really good vibe. Really beautiful area with the paddle boat and ferry boats right on the doorstep of the hotel.

The check in process went smoothly and our luggage was waiting for us in the foyer, however, there was no offer of help to assist with the luggage to our room. The gesture would have been appreciated. We were then shown to our room by the receptionist, we appeared to be in the annexe as we had to pass the kitchen and food delivery area. This was a little bit of a surprise as we had paid extra for an upgrade and for a four star establishment we didn't expect to be walking through an alleyway.

The room itself was nice however a little on the small side. It was clean and comfortable with lovely fresh bed linen and we had the most amazing view of the lake. Plenty of storage for the clothes, however, the bathroom could have done with another shelf as there was nowhere to put toiletries. Shower was good, powerful and lovely hot water. Towels plentiful and clean. The air conditioning seemed to be working efficiently. Wifi was okay. Fridge with a welcome bottle of water. All seemed well but then it started to go downhill......

On our first night at dinner we were a little disappointed to find that we were allocated a numbered table in an enclosed dining room which was for the whole week. We were expecting to have dinner on the terrace but it appeared that the outside seating was allocated for the paying customers only. This was a shame as eating out on the terrace was planned to be one of the highlights of our holiday, having dinner overlooking the lake but it was not to be. We were instead crammed very closely to another couple who were lovely but we were so close it was uncomfortable as we could hear each others conversations. It wasn't a very relaxing atmosphere, my friend and I felt a little tense. The service wasn't too impressive, we weren't really made to feel welcome in the dining room and we felt a little in the way. The food was most disappointing, I was expecting a selection of fish, various pastas, pizzas, vegetarian options etc but the menu was disappointing. I know people have different tastes but I don't think anyone would expect sliced turkey, frozen chips and gravy for a main. Pudding was on a help yourself basis and by the time we had got to them there was hardly anything left and nothing seemed to be getting replaced. Squirty cream in cans to go with the puddings.....

On a positive note the dining area was very clean and the breakfast was good. Large selection of hot and cold buffet, could make fresh juice and smoothies etc and you could sit outside which was really nice. Coffee self serve in big flasks which was weak and warm.

My friend and I had booked various excursions throughout the week which meant some evenings we would not be in for dinner therefore the rep advised we ask for a packed lunch or a cold plate for our return. At breakfast you had to choose your evening meal from a tick menu. This had to be done each morning and each morning we informed them when we were out for dinner but no offer of lunch, cold plates or packed lunch. We felt uncomfortable asking as they should know to offer alternatives if you are away for dinner. We had paid for half board after all. The evenings we were in for dinner it was just as bad as the first. Small vegetable pie starter that was made from tinned vegetables, asparagus soup which tasted like packet soup. There seemed to be minimal cooking involved. My main meal arrived and it was a beef tomato with a lump of mozzarella in the centre and nothing else. Yes, I did order mozzarella and tomato caprese but being as it was a main meal I was expecting maybe some fresh veg or garlic bread. Just not the standard for a four star hotel. My friend couldn't eat hers and she felt embarrassed and uncomfortable sitting there after trying a few mouthfuls. No one came back to ask us if everything was okay.

There was a buffet salad starter with quite a nice selection but if you came down a little later there was hardly anything left and again didn't seem to get topped up. Nice whole salmon but nothing left on it but bones and small flakes. As we had to pass the kitchen delivery area to get to our room we saw the food deliveries arriving........lots of tins and packets.....not a fresh vegetable in sight. We never ate there again.

In general we were happy with the room but were disappointed when we returned one day to only the beds being made....no bins emptied, no fresh towels, patio door left ajar and the air conditioning turned off. It was 33 degrees outside so was unpleasant and we struggled to get it restarted. We certainly weren't impressed when it happened again after a late return from an excursion and we had no service at all.......beds unmade, no towels......nothing done. Now come on......these are basics.......this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel??? We paid over £1000 each for the week here and didn't expect this level of service.

On our day of departure we had to leave the hotel at 7am, we had asked if the buggy would be taking our luggage and we were told no, it was too early???!! For a busy hotel with guests flying in at all hours, they can't even help with luggage? No offer of help was given, in fact one member of staff walked behind us watching us struggle with the cases to reception. My friend and I were left to struggle through the square. It felt like once our stay was over they couldn't wait to get rid of us........didn't value our custom at all.

We fell in love with Riva and we had the most amazing time. We have planned our next visit already but will be steering clear of this hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Samantha22Lichfield
Reviewed 2 August 2017

Room amazing. Booked room with balcony & lake view it was perfect. Would definitely come back as loved Garda and all the places we visited Riva had lovely atmosphere music festival on when we visited. Lots of good restaurants & shops. However would not return to Hotel Sole. Had trips booked at time of booking with inghams such as Venice & the Verona opera which had late returns back to hotel Sole. We were advised by inghams representative that on these occasions we would be offered a packed lunch or a cold plate for our return. However after advising staff we would be back to late for dinner when asked to make our choices for dinner at breakfast every morning their was no offer of packed lunch or cold plate. We were told that they were just informing us that we needed to choose our meal at breakfast if we intended to eat dinner. We were made to feel very uncomfortable by staff so did not feel we could ask for packed lunch. The meals we did manage to have (except for breakfast which was really good) were awful especially for a 4 star hotel. Veg of the day was mostly tinned. starters of over salted what appeared to be packet soup, mains of turkey with frozen chips & Gravey and angel delight type desert with tins of spray cream left on table are some examples of the hotel Sole dinner menu. Our room was left unmade with dirty towels even though it was a daily service. Air con. Was turned off and our balcony door left open when we were out of our room. We had no help with our bags through the town to the coach for our return home even though they had a buggy for luggage. They just said it was to early. Well yes it was 7am but it was also a hotel dealing with guests coming and going on a regular basis.

Room Tip: good room doesn't make up for awful food and unhelpful staff.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank tinydee2017
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We recently stayed here for 4 nights, we had two rooms as we are a family of five. The rooms had magnificent views over the lake but in every other respect were very plain. It claims to be a 4 star hotel but it did not live up to this accolade. The biggest shortcoming was the lack of adequate air conditioning which was set at 22 degrees on the first night. We got very hot and uncomfortable during the night and spoke to the reception the next morning, we were given very unsatisfactory excuses, (that the thunderstorm may have effected it), we were told that it would be reset. When the AC was reset, it made matters worse as it was reset at a higher temperature, at 24 degrees which was far too warm to sleep comfortably. My husband tried to explain that 24 degrees was the equivalent of a summers day in England and still too warm but they insisted that it was the law in Italy that the AC couldn't be set lower than 8 degrees below that of the outside temperature, which in itself was inaccurate as it was easily at least 22 degrees at night and no breeze. We resorted to turning the AC off and sleeping with the windows wide open each night as this was the cooler option, in fact, turning the AC on actually made the room warmer! Unfortunately though, having the windows open, means that you are woken up by the sound of the early morning bottle collections (from 6am) and the ferry which starts preparing for its departure around 7.30. I didn't mind the early start but my sons in the next room certainly did! We presume that their only reason for not lowering the temperature of the AC was to cut costs.
The breakfast was taken in a lovely setting but was rather unexceptional, the bacon was always cold and the fruit appeared to be of the tinned variety. The coffee, to which one helped oneself, was watered down. My sons who love their breakfast normally and have big appetites, stopped getting up for breakfast altogether as hey didn't enjoy it.
On a positive note however, the ice cream parlour, which is part of the hotel , sold excellent ice cream and gave generous portions!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Florence T
Gardahotels_Sole, Manager at Hotel Sole Relax & Panorama, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Dear Florence, we are sorry to read such considerations on the way A/C is managed in our hotel. As explained in other answers, we set a fixed temperature in order to let the machines work properly. In addition to this, there really is an Italian law which does not allow a broader difference of 8° C between inner and outern temperature. For what concerns breakfast, our staff can prepare espresso and cappucino for our Guests if they prefer to have a stronger coffe rather the help-yourself one, of course this goes according with your habits. Kind regards from Riva, the Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Riva Del Garda
Lido Palace
#2 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
0.1 km away
Hotel Portici Romantik & Wellness
Hotel Portici Romantik & Wellnes...
#11 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
0.9 km away
Villa Nicolli Romantic Resort
Villa Nicolli Romantic Resort
#8 of 62 in Riva Del Garda

Been to Hotel Sole Relax & Panorama? Share your experiences!