See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 June 2006

After a very busy business trip in Florence and Milan, we chose to "wind-down" for a few days prior to returning to the States. The borgo was a perfect choice. Though it is certainly located in the 'country", if a relaxing few days is what you're after, this is a great place to do it. Room was charming, the weather was great for lounging by the pool, and the food was quite good. There are lots of activities if you so choose (golf, bocce, etc), but leaving the pool was not an option for us! I enjoyed my stay so much that I am looking forward to another visit in early Fall.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank hollymail
Reviewed 19 June 2006

What an absolute gem of a find is the Borgo Paraelios located just 40 minutes from the heart of Rome, but so remote from its hustle and bustle. My husband and I stayed there for our anniversary and enjoyed every minute of it. It is elegant in its decor and refined in its service and we were made to feel very comfortable and at home in this very luxurious setting.

The highlight for us was the outdoor swimming pool (they also have an indoor one) and its surroundings. A spectacular pool itself in a lush and peaceful setting with dressing room accommodations was where we wanted to spend all our time. The outdoor seating areas are beautiful spots for an afternoon session of reading or a before dinner drink. They also have a beautiful golf course. As it was August, we wanted to spend our time enjoying the scenery, lush gardens, and all things exterior, but the very grand yet cozy interior rooms are a very romantic setting for a getaway weekend in the fall and winter months as well.
We also very much enjoyed our private terrace where we had breakfast every morning.

The staff was bi-lingual and very professional, but very willing to answer all questions especially about day trips in the immediate area - a beautiful and lesser known part of Italy worth exploring.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank Rabnnif
Reviewed 19 January 2006

I will never stay at this or any other Relais and Chateaux hotel ever again!

Our room was infested with bugs crawling over the floor, in our luggage and flying around the room. The management promised to fix this or give us another room. They twice failed to take any action and we were forced to stay overnight (no management were available after dinner when it should have been addressed the 2nd time). We had to stay the night as this hotel is in the middle of nowehere! The next morning I showed a very apologetic manager the room and counted all the bugs in front of her (20-30 left after I had killed even more). She claimed that they were understaffed and that the room hadn't been checked after the doors were left open. The food was awful. Filet Mignon with asparagus gratinee was plain grilled filet with some boiled asparagus - no gratinee! The pasta was very poor, the courses came at the wrong time, the wine I ordered wasn't available, so they picked another and brought it to the table already opened. Even worse, the Matre'd didn't think this should be a problem - serving another wine already opened! The poolside sandwiches we had were stale and were half a sandwich with no salad and just the filling (tuna and a thick spread of mayo). And all this food was expensive and supposedly gourmet! You can get better at any little, cheap restaurant in Italy.

The owner refused to make amends and reduce our room rate (300 Euros) because of this awful experience where we were forced to stay the night in an infested hovel. The worst thing is that after writing a complaint to Relais and Chateaux, all they did was forward it to the hotel and then pass on the hotel owner's response! The hotel owner's response did not even try to address any of my complaints and just said we stayed the night, the maids were always on top of things and that everything was fine, he also praised their "5 star" food. He ignored the fact that I named his manager and that she had admitted that the bug situation and the service were unacceptable and that she had called him personally when we checked out (and he refused to credit us then)!

Relais and Chateaux did NOTHING apart for deliver our e-mail complaint and response. They offered NO recompense, not even a voucher off a future stay - and it was so obvious from the owner's letter that he wasn't addressing my complaint. Relais and Chateaux seem to have no pull with their members and enforce no standards. Now my my credit card co. are telling me that if you stay the night you have no rights... My advice is - Don't even think about staying here!

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank Kamall S
Reviewed 20 March 2005

we stayed here in may 2002 and found it to be a fascinating place--indoor pool with fireplace, outdoor pool, bocce ball court, golf. the hotel is laid out almost like a one level ranch house palace/castle with winding passage ways, antiques, and low number of guests. yes, the wine list is short and expensive, but we thought the food was very good--and we came from il falconiere and before that the st. regis in rome. this would be the perfect spot to come with some friends for about 3 days and relax--it is very peaceful and quiet. i would not use it as a base to visit rome--too far out. but, for the first few days in italy or the last couple of days on an italian tour, it would be ideal. also, for a 3 day weekend trip to italy, it would be perfect--45 minutes from the airport. beautiful views, activities galore, and your own private castle.

• Stayed: May 2002
1  Thank Don Y
Reviewed 24 October 2004

An expensive mistake. The "suite" was a small room. Nice balcony, best part of it. Dinner was the worst "food" we have ever had in Italy. The menu was a joke, the chef made a point of coming into the dining room and screaming at the matire'd, the wine list was very short and very overpriced. The spa costs an extra E25, by the way. And don't think the advertised shuttle to Rome is free. Just stay away!

9  Thank Voyage38463