“Stupendous Sea dining - an absolute must if you are visiting the Amalfi Coast”
Review of L'Antica Cartiera

L'Antica Cartiera
Ranked #3 of 42 Restaurants in Ravello
Price range: US$37 - US$98
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2016

I am very lucky that I moved from the UK to the Amalfi Coast and so consider myself as a local – it can be difficult to choose where to go as most places along the Salerno Gulf are very good. L’Antica Cartiera Restaurant at the 4 star Mamorata Hotel, however stands out for many reasons. Firstly the scenery is beautiful. The non assuming and almost hidden hotel from the road side houses a fantastic restaurant which opens up on a beautiful terrace where you have breathtaking views all around you. Uninterrupted sea views, straight ahead, rugged buildings clinging to the right dotted by flowers and to the left mountains leading to Salerno. The restaurant sits on top of the hotel’s swimming pool, which is above the beach bar and steps into crystal clear water below. It is tranquil, peaceful and simply stunning. The restaurant and terrace itself is traditional, dark wood offset my blue and white linen and the waiters are dressed in formal attire and complements the professional, attentive service – the perfect balance of reserved etiquette with warmth and genuine kindness. This can be difficult to find, but Mamorata hits the nail well and truly on the head and one is relaxed and assured as soon as the order is placed, and in actual fact from the moment you step foot from the boat – its lovely to have a shower in the very well equipped changing rooms when you’ve been on the sea the whole morning. Finally that brings me on to the cuisine – I’ve gone to this place 3 times now and each time the food is amazingly tasty. Highlights are the mixed seafood zupetta – the octopus is morbidly soft, as are the chunks of salmon, yet the fried anchovies and mini fish cake add a contrasting crunch and the pesto, balances the dish perfectly and brings the whole thing together. The aubergine croquettes are heavenly with rich, thick creamy fresh local ricotta. The pasta is equally delicious we’ve had the ravioli and gnocchi – but we always come back to the astice linguine, which is perfectly cooked and just sheer indulgence with the deep, strong sauce making an impact but not overpowering the astice (similar to lobster). I’m quite fussy with my zuppe di pesce or any kind of seafood dish – my boyfiend has mastered the art of cooking with these ingredients that are on our doorstep, the key is fresh as you can and take off the heat as soon as it’s only just cooked. Marmorata without question uses the very best and very freshest of ingredients and the chef knows exactly what he is doing so it’s a real treat to have perfectly sautéed clams, muscles, prawns, squid either in just a little white wine or with a sumptuous tomato sauce. Any fish for your main here will be a sensible choice – whether the stuffed squid (my personal favourite) or a grilled whole seabass – the choice is yours but I can’t account for the meat nor the desserts– we have never ordered a meat dish or a pudding so I can’t comment. However I would be confident to say that they will be every bit as satisfying as the fish. With Ravello just on the back of the hotel and the mountains minutes away I can imagine everything being simply super.
Then we come on to the price… as this hotel is on the way to Minori, it is definitely more economical than beach restaurants around Amalfi, Positano and Capri. If you look at the prices then they do not appear particularly cheap, however when you balance it with the quality and quantity of the food then I would say it is exceptional value. Marmorata might be a little more difficult to get to, but in my opinion it is worth the effort – I wouldn’t hesitate to say it is in my top 3 places to eat on the Amalfi Coast – and that is a huge compliment considering the exceptional high standard of food that is in abundance. Bravo Marmorata… Bravo!!

1  Thank VictoriaLC1979
marmorataalbergo, Owner at L'Antica Cartiera, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Dear VictoriaLC1979
Thanks for the wonderful and enthusiastic review. It is a great satisfaction when a customer spends his time writing so many nice words about our restaurant

Reviewed 28 September 2016

perfect for lunch with a spectacular view. from all the tables you can see the beautiful coast and watch the boats sail across the oceans. highly recommend the lobster linguine.

marmorataalbergo, Owner at L'Antica Cartiera, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2016

Dear kmm119,
Thanks for the nice words, I'm glad you had a pleasant dinner

Reviewed 4 September 2016

So this is in a Best Western "art" Hotel. But don't let that stop you. It was the best meal we had in Minori. We were 2 couples and 3 our of 4 loved our entrees. The 4th ordered a salted cod that basically looked like a deep fat fried fish stick....artfully prepared of course. Two couples had a sea bass with mussels and clams, artfully presented and every bit delicious. The coniglio ( rabbit) was pressed in a roll and though a tad dry (easy to do with rabbit) was flavored well and again, well presented. There was also a frutta di mare appetizer that had the best flavor of all....very well seasoned and just delicious. We finished dinner with a chocolate torta, and a tortuffo and sorbet. All did not disappoint. So go and enjoy. You won't be disappointed. OH, only down side was as typical of European restaurants, it took forever to get the check!!

marmorataalbergo, Proprietario at L'Antica Cartiera, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Dear mtdickson,
thanks for the nice words, I'm glad you and your friends have enjoyed our restaurant and that you have considered the best where you had dinner

Reviewed 29 August 2016

Usually served at the terrace, which however is often used for events - so check with the hotel. The terrace overlooks the sea in a very quiet area. Good menu and wine list selection. Tasty food and good service.

Dear alkof
Thanks for the nice review you gave us

Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

Quite simply the standard of the food was superb and bursting with flavour and taste. Fresh quality ingredients that made for a beautiful final night meal for our holiday.
Tuna tartare - gorgeous and delightfully served by Marco !!
Lemon risotto, catch of the day all brilliant.
Also the service is excellent, well trained very polite capable staff. We highly recommend a visit.

marmorataalbergo, Proprietario at L'Antica Cartiera, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

Thanks for the nice review, I'm glad you enjoyed our restaurant

Manuela Camera