“Happy with our Visit”
Review of Regia Osteria Vecchia Ragusa - MOVED

Regia Osteria Vecchia Ragusa
Price range: US$18 - US$59
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a tipical ragusan food restaurant and a pizzeria with possibility for groups.
Reviewed 24 October 2014

Eight of us found ourselves walking around Ragusa on Saturday night without restaurant reservations. Unable to find any place near the St. John the Baptist Cathedral that could seat us, a friendly waiter directed us down the street to Regia Osteria. The owner was happy to accommodate us and pushed several tables together in a corner. Many of us were really planning to order pizza and were initially disappointed when we were told that the restaurant did not serve pizza at night. However, after looking at the menu, we all found something we liked from full dinners to simple salads. Everyone was very satisfied with their meals: the food was well-prepared and served hot, further everything was delicious. The owner was attentive and readily provided individual bills to each couple. We were all very happy with our visit.

Reviewed 9 October 2014 via mobile

We could not find our first choice, but were directed here by some locals. This is a family run, simple fare bistro, not a fancy dinner out for your anniversary.
After climbing all over Ilba we were thankful for a carafe of wine, good al dante pasta and pleasant service.
Find yourself in our frame of mind and you too will enjoy your meal. Want more, pay more elsewhere.

Reviewed 2 October 2014

This restaurant had many Italian diners and offered a range of local dishes at good prices. The house wine Nero d'Avola was very good and the Pasta alla Norma exceptional. Only criticism was 2nd course coming too fast after the first.

Reviewed 1 October 2014

We spent 4 days in Ragusa and ate here twice- the first time by accident as it was 11pm, we were hungry and it was the first place we saw. The second time just to check that we weren't wrong about it being so good! We have both travelled widely in Italy and Sicily and like to think we know quality food when we find it- and I think we did.
The décor is a little tacky but it is spotlessly clean with interesting pictures on the wall. The owner was lovely and very apologetic when I knocked over what I think was an old wooden plough. The service was cheery and helpful, and unlike many places in Italian tourist centres I wasn't made to feel cheap and unwelcome because I have a relatively small appetite and didn't want 4 courses and an entire bottle of wine.
I had a beautiful plain ravioli with tomato sauce which was faultless and a proper cassata, and we shared an extremely good carafe of white wine.
On our two other nights in Ragusa we went to much 'posher' restaurants and had pretty good meals- for more than twice the price and with not such pleasant service. This restaurant also has the advantage of being in the new town where our hotel was, so we didn't have to climb up all of the steps from Ragusa Ibla after dinner!

Reviewed 21 September 2014

My wife and I chanced upon this wonderful little restaurant as we walked home to our hotel and boy were we pleased we tried it. The food was excellent and from the start I knew that it would be good as there were bottles of olive oil and balsamic on the table. The owners were lovely and the simple pasta dishes were of the highest of standard. I loved the red wine, which was sold by the carafe. Well worth a visit.