All reviews the owner train station short walk swimming pool within walking distance choices for each course peaceful hotel no additional cost archeological zone next morning set menu ancient city country hotel perfect location visiting paestum our room was spacious grounds are beautiful
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My family ate dinner here for the set fee of 25 Euro per person. Do not make the same mistake. Eat somewhere else. Prior to visiting Paestum, we had thought about spending a night at the Villa Rita but settled on spending the night at the Hotel Cerere. We decided to check out the Villa Rita by having dinner there. The food was horrible. We wished we had eaten at one of the restaurants near the temples.

The first course consisted of large portions of overcooked pasta, like the kind one might be served in a bad Italian restaurant in the U.S.

The second course consisted of an overcooked slab of meat with no vegetables or garnishment. It sort of reminded me of U.S. college cafeteria food.

As for dessert, the owner asked us whether we wanted ice cream or fruit. My daughter and I went for the ice cream. In the land of awesome gelato, this had to be some of the worst ice cream I have ever had. When my 13 year old son told the owner he wanted fruit, the owner responded, "Strange." or in Italian, "Che strano." The fruit consisted of a whole orange, banana, and apple on a plate. My son liked it. But I thought, how strange.

There was one good dish. They served tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella cheese at the start of the meal. It was great. Just eat that and skip the rest.

Room tip: Bad restaurant, but hotel might be okay.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2018

I chose to stay at Hotel Villa Rita because of all the reviews commenting on the genuine welcoming nature of the family who runs the facility. This family run hotel definitely was one of the more personal aspects to our trip to Italy. We were able to chat with Luigi and his daughter, Rita in the evening and morning and hear about their lives and Paestum. We arrived in the evening and were able to walk from the train station, past the ruins which are lit up at night, and to the hotel. The walk is very short and easy. We were booked at the hotel on the very last day of the season and still were treated with a lovely breakfast buffet. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are comfortable and clean (simple decorations not over the top). We were given a few pine cones from Luigi, some pine cones from the home which I made into an ornament, thank you for that Luigi and Rita!!!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2017

A really family style hotel with attractive grounds. The swimming pool area was lovely. The room was very basic but served our requirements. There was a good selection of food at breakfast and it was ideally located to walk 5mins to the ruins.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 12 November 2017

Paestum is one of the best archaelogical sites in Italy, and the family owned and operated Villa Rita has got to be the best place to explore this exemplary place from. Merely 200m from the still extant walls of the ancient city it's impossible to get closer. The Villa Rita is a comfortable, well-run little boutique hotel with lovely gardens, pool, and photogenic grounds. The service and general ambience of the place is such that you feel you own the villa and are at home. Can't rate highly enough.

Room tip: There are a variety of rooms and room sizes, also cabin-like separate accommodations.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2017

This small hotel is a gem! The rooms are spacious and very comfortable and the staff and owners are welcoming and helpful. We came to this hotel for the proximity to the train station and beach, and we found so much more to love about this place. Don't miss the excellent breakfast buffet and wonderful gourmet meals that they serve at dinner! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Date of stay: September 2017