“Come to Orvieto just to eat here!”

Il Malandrino Bistrot
Ranked #2 of 176 Restaurants in Orvieto
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: Bar
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Absolutely outstanding! The truffle tortelli was amazing. The stuffed rabbit was perfect, stuffed with potatoes, olives, and herbs. The staff was very helpful with pairing the correct wine selection, and even gave us samples at no extra charge. Lemon tiramisu cake was delicious. A wonderful touch was the outstanding jazz music that started at 9, with a great vocalist and saxophonist. Do yourself a favor and experience this truly terrific place.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Without hesitation, this was the highlight restaurant of our 2 week holiday in Italy and France. In a town filled with excellent restaurants and service, Il Malandrino was the best. We had dinner on two occasions and had to restrain ourselves from 3 nights in a row. The food was sensational on both occasions and in my husband's words was the best food he'd ever had. Some really good and well priced wines too. And then there is Riccardo and his team - wonderful, knowledgeable, so kind and generous. The quality of food, service and atmosphere is unsurpassed and we very much look forward to returning soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Visited on latest trip. What a great place to eat. The food as always was excellent and the staff attentive and good fun with a well drilled patter and enthusiasm for the food. Serve my favourite sangiovese Paterno by Trappolini all round brilliant

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

We had a surprisingly delicious Italian dinner in this jazzy restaurant! Leaving the more touristy spots and streets a bit beside, we came across the cosy terrace of il Malandrino. And no regrets at all! Nice wine, a surprising amuse, tasty dishes and very friendly staff! Our 4 year old enjoyed the typical Italian kindness towards children, they even brought him some toys to play! We had the special of the day, a spaghetti with cod, zucchini, mint and lemon, our son the spaghetti sea fruits. A shame it's an hour drive from our vacation home.
( Belgian family, 2 adults and a child)

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Those who love food will have many times read accounts of the finding of a "little gem"; of an overlooked delight, and so on. Elizabeth David bases the title of her book "An Omelette and a Glass of Wine" on her discovery of what she thought a perfect omelette served at an inauspicious restaurant.

This place lives up to and indeed surpasses any travellers' tales.

We were looking for a bar - a proper bar where the gin is poured by a proprietor with a wobbly elbow so that he might just as well leave you the bottle. One lunchtime we found such a bar in the Via Garibaldi. After a few drinks our thoughts turned to lunch.

As in most of Italy, restaurants - even those which have their eye largely on tourists -serve great food, but we were only there for a few days - we had travelled for a wedding, rather than a holiday - and we were keen to have dinner at the best restaurants recommended in the guidebooks.

But lunch could be a simpler affair.

As we finished our drinks we saw il Malandrino (difficult to translate - perhaps "Mischievous" is the closest I can find) - red-checked tablecloths etc. Not in a smart area, not ostentatious, but at one of the outside tables we saw four members of the Red Cross lunching.

You don't need me to tell you that it is a sure sign of the quality of a restaurant if the locals eat there.

So, lunch it would be.

But, what a lunch.

I will not tell you what we ate - reviewers recent to this have described that which gave them pleasure. I will not tell you because the dishes we ate may not be to your taste and you may think "I don't fancy that" and move on.

That would be your loss. (I will say that the restaurant is clear that they have already anticipated unconventional dietary requirements (including gluten-free) and will do whatever they can to accommodate your needs.)

The first test of any restaurant has to be the service - here, charming and unhurried; you are not pressurised into ordering in the first five minutes. Notably an effort is made to speak English to you (as in our case) but if there is the slightest risk of misunderstanding the waiter will find another more fluent than he.

Two, separate, appetizers were provided free (what the French would describe as "amuse bouche"). Each were both excellent and imaginative.

These were no marketing ploy to demonstrate a spurious generosity - they displayed the desire of the owner to show off that joy of tastes and textures which informs his cooking.

We both chose Primi from that day's specials. Secondi from the menu.

I would not be writing this review if I had not thought the food unsurpassingly excellent.

I can say no more than this.

I told the boss that I counted this as amongst the five best lunches I have had in my 30-odd-years of gourmandising, and I meant it.