All reviews great location breakfast staff the piazza del popolo shower stall bit dated free wifi common areas the hotel staff room was spacious yogurt exploring orvieto one night stay glass of wine train station lobby balcony town
Reviewed 7 January 2018

The Grand Hotel Italia is close to the Piazza del Popolo and therefore very conveniently located. The only problem is that it´s very difficut to get there by car, especially on market days. Anyhow the staff helped us with this. As we visited in winter, it would have been nice to have a duvet instead of the typical sheet and bedspread, but the room was warm enough so it was ok. Lovely view over the city.

Room tip: We stayed on the 4th floor which offers a great view.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2018

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past eight years and each time has been pleasant. The staff is always eager to help you and the rooms are clean and comfortable. They don’t have magnifying mirrors but do supply shampoo and a hair dryer. Breakfast is good and I enjoy sitting in the lobby with a glass of wine or a pot of camomile tea at night.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Right in the middle of Orvieto. Rooms are comfortable and quite. Nice patios to sit on and have a drink. Staff is great. A few of the minuses are: frugal breakfast, tiny shower and beds on the hard side. Pluses include staff, location and very quiet.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Spent several days at Hotel Italia with a student group in mid-July. It's a very comfortable, relaxing hotel, with a very good staff. Michelina and Paula were great to work with.
The location is a huge plus for Hotel Italia. You walk out the door, down about a block and boom - you're on the main pedestrian thoroughfare in Orvieto. Plus, my wife and I did a "pre-trip" visit, and were lucky enough to stay in one of the 500-numbered rooms with a beautiful terrace overlooking Orvieto. Waking up in the morning and relaxing on the terrace was a nice way to welcome the day.
The guest rooms are all pretty much centered around a main staircase, which is important as the elevators are somewhat small. Also, they only go up to the 4th floor, so if you're on the 5th, you need to walk up a couple very short flights of stairs.
The hotel's meeting rooms in the basement were okay. We actually asked for a cooler room for the final evening's session, and met in a very unique downstairs room that was actually a better meeting space for our group.
Breakfast is very good, but nothing to write home about. I will say that one of the breakfast staff got to know that I loved my "doppio espresso" every morning and would ask me when I sat down. The eggs and bacon were great, along with the meat, cheese, breads, croissants and jams...along with juices, yogurt, cereal, etc.
If you drive a car here, (which I'd recommend not doing), but just know they do have hotel parking however it's in a parking lot that for an American driver like me was like threading a needle, even driving a Fiat 500L! Not for the faint of heart with tight turns and very careful navigating in and out of their parking lot.
Hotel rooms themselves were nice, although a bit dated and older. There was no coffee in the room so I would sneak down to the breakfast room to grab a cup to bring up to my room before breakfast.
Very comfortable, large lounge-type lobby, and they obviously cater to high school and college groups, as a study group from SMU was on the tail end of a six-week stay, as we were beginning our time in Orvieto.
Orvieto is amazing and Hotel Italia is great place to stay while there.

Room tip: Try to get a 500-numbered room, for the views, most have a terrace or balcony.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2017

My husband and I had a two night stay at this hotel when we were on a group tour in 2014. We enjoyed the town, and this hotel, so much that a return visit was in order! We traveled to Italy with friends, four other couples, in June of 2017, and spent our first 24 hours in Orvieto, with a stay at this hotel. Everything was just as wonderful as we remembered it. We arrived in Orvieto by rental car, from Rome. The hotel had emailed me some suggestions, in advance, as to where to park and how to get to the hotel. I'd asked for those kinds of instructions and had gotten a very prompt and helpful reply. We parked for free in a public lot by the train station in the newer part of town, at the foot of the tufa rock cliffs on which the older part of town sits, surrounded by the medieval city wall. We then took the funicular up to that older part of town. At the top, we caught a shuttle bus which took us, in less than five minutes, to the piazza near our hotel. The hotel staff provided very friendly, helpful service during our brief, one night stay. We requested a recommendation on a restaurant for dinner, and the suggested place was perfect . . . great location,wonderful service and delicious food. The lobby of the hotel is unusually spacious and well-furnished for a a hotel that I would categorize as a "boutique" hotel. It includes a bar at which you can get a cocktail or glass of wine. The 4th floor room that was assigned to me and my husband had comfortable beds, a great shower, and a lovely view of the red tiled roof tops of Orvieto. Everything you want to see and do is within very easy walking distance of the hotel. We arrived at the hotel at 1 p.m., hoping to be able to catch a 2 p.m. public walking tour of the city that would commence in the Duomo piazza. Because of the convenient location of this hotel, we were able to check in, get our room assignments, go to our rooms and change clothes, meet back down in the lobby, walk down to the Duomo piazza, get a quick sandwich and beverage from a counter-service restaurant there, and get to the meeting spot for the 2 p.m. tour, and we even ended up with a little time to spare. Our stay was on a Friday night. The next morning, we enjoyed the included breakfast buffet. Although the breakfast room is located in the basement level of the hotel, the room was spacious, bright and cheery. The food was bountiful and delicious. We were able to enjoy the large public market that sets up every Saturday morning in the piazza right around the corner from the Grand Hotel Italia. We wandered among the local residents who were buying produce, cheese, meat, flowers, clothing, household supplies, you name it. Orvieto can be touristy, but in the two times I've been to this particular public market adjacent to the Grand Hotel Italia, I saw few tourists . . .it was mostly local residents. As we were leaving the hotel, I believe everyone in our group of 10 was wishing we had another night or two here! It's a great place to stay, in a wonderful city. We paid an extremely reasonable price for our stay in this hotel. For the service and amenities we enjoyed, I would expect to pay way more!

Date of stay: June 2017