“upped its game in 2017 (restaurant is on stilts in the lake)”

Trattoria del Moro - Aronne
Ranked #6 of 176 Restaurants in Orvieto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2017

I had the most amazing fish medley ('puzzle') twice this year (2017) and it was right up there with ultra-posh London posh-nosh. They were always friendly, and the outside tables are to die for, and they do all the usual Italian things well (pasta, good value, wine, child-friendly, great starters). Local lake fish is fine (corregoni or something), but it's the combo of Italian service and smiles (they really seem like the WANT you to have a good time) and the really exotic setting, I have been at least once a year for the past five years) but I was amazed at the non-typically Italian food they served (next to the lovely Umbrian food you expect when you go to Umbria)

There are newer reviews for Trattoria del Moro - Aronne

Reviewed 1 August 2017

On a quiet street, this restaurant has about 3 small rooms. We were a party of six; it was slightly crowded at our table. Some dishes were really good like the lasagna and tagliatelle with boar ragu. I really wanted to eat pigeon in Orvieto, but it was the least favorite dish. Good house wine. Nice service. Reservations made in advance by our hotel by email.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Upon our arrival in Orvieto we immediately made a reservation. We loved it so much on our first visit, we had to return. To start our meal we split an antipasto plate of percorino mousse with fava bean sauce and pickled onion (excellent!!!). For our primo piatto my wife and I both ordered the Nidi. Unfortunately there was only one order left, so we split it, each getting a nest. I'm sure others have previously described the Nidi con miele. It is the must-order-dish here. For our secondo piatto we also split a very good herbed rabbit. Include a half liter of Orvieto Classico and we had a very nice bargain at 48 euro. While this wasnt our best meal in Orvieto, it was very good, and I hope to have a third visit to this trattoria in the future. We dearly love Orvieto!

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My sister and I have been living in Florence for three months now, so it's safe to say we can typically spot "touristy" places from the authentic ones. This is NOT a place for tourists. Come here if you're ready to eat with Italians and enjoy the process.

We came to Orvieto for the night to get out of the city, and this restaurant was an amazing example of what Tuscany/Umbria is supposed to be like. The wait staff is very Italian- slow and easy going service, proud of their food, and very inviting. If you are looking to get in and get out, DO NOT come here.

The wine was excellent (it's Orvieto of course), and we had a lighter dinner since we had already gone out for apertivos.

DO NOT SKIP THE NIDI. It's their house speciality- lasagna noodles stuffed with pecorino cheese, rolled, and baked then covered with honey. It sounds sweet, but it's not. It's the best pasta I've had these three months, and I've been all over this country!! The bruschetta pomodoro is very fresh and very local. The dessert wine was also delicious as well.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking to eat with Italians in an Italian way. It was the best pasta I've ever had, and it made me fall in love with this cute mountain town even more. Stop here and enjoy it all!

1  Thank Hannah H
Reviewed 18 July 2017

We ate here in April, and three months later I still dream of the nidi with truffles and honey. Enough said!