Grand Hotel Plaza & Locanda Maggiore
Hotel Montecatini Palace(Montecatini Terme)
US$190
US$126
Hotel Michelangelo(Montecatini Terme)
US$108
US$82
Hotel Da Vinci(Montecatini Terme)(Great Value!)
US$50
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Columbia Wellness & SPA(Montecatini Terme)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$89
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Smart Hotel Bartolini(Montecatini Terme)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$72
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Ercolini & Savi(Montecatini Terme)(Great Value!)
US$83
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel & La Pace(Montecatini Terme)
US$206
US$190
Hotels.com
Hotel Francia e Quirinale(Montecatini Terme)
1,037 results
All reviewstravel departmenttrain stationhigh ceilingsdining roomgate travelthe main squareold world charmmarble staircaseparking passstreet parkingtown squareexcellent locationpackage dealtravel packagerental carhead waiterlovely hotel
Reviewed 5 April 2018

We stayed 5 nights on a holiday at the Grand Hotel Plaza & Locanda Maggiore. The location, on the main square was perfect. It was a 5 minute walk from the Montecatini Centrale train station. The staff at check-in, breakfast and housekeeping were thorough & accomodating. We were reluctant to leave the hotel and sight see.

Room Tip: We had a room on the main square across from a bar that stayed open late. It was noisy but when the windows were closed the sounds were sufficiently muffled. The sights from our room were stellar so we never considered changing rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank gams2go
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Elegant, old world Hotel. The free breakfast was superb. Staff very friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions for dining nearby. Enclosed courtyard off the bar where you could smoke and enjoy a drink.
Music a couple of nights, with lots of guests dancing and having fun.
Very convenient walk from train station(it’s the second Montecatini station when coming from Firenze). Easy driving distance from Firenze, Siena, Lucca, Pisa, and many other sights. The funicular to Montecatini Alto was well worth the trip.
This hotel is full of old world elegance and charm.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jon B
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Unfortunately, I cannot give this hotel anything higher than three stars, and I think I’m being generous.
We had reservations to stay here for 5 nights through a Gate 1 package deal, but we were only planning on staying the 1st night and the last night since we had reservations in Florence for 3 nights. After the 1st night we did not stay here again.
Natalia checked us in. Although she was efficient, she seemed stressed.... maybe because prior to checking us in she was distributing room keys to a tour group of approximately 20-30 teenaged kids...
We were given room 228, a corner room. When we walked in we noticed there were 2 twin beds in the room. I went back down to ask for a room with a double bed. She insisted my reservation stated I wanted twin beds, but that she would try to accommodate me by asking the chambermaid to put a mattress pad over the two twin mattresses the following day, like that would make a difference. I agreed, since I really had no other choice. After a 6 hour drive due to heavy traffic and a truck accident on the highway, my husband and I decided to make try to make the best of it and go down to happy hour which was very nice.... much against our better judgment we ate at the hotel restaurant, not expecting too much and it was a simple meal of risotto, pasta, steak and wine. Stick to the pasta and the risotto...

We were dissatisfied with the accommodations. Although, it was a large room with high ceilings, facing the square, the room was extremely tired and in need of a remodel; the chairs were in desperate need of reupholstering; the carpet was old and had stains, the curtains were dingy and one of the two twin beds had a huge indentation which made for a very uncomfortable nights rest. The bathroom was old, but clean. Parking was on the street, and not too difficult to find a spot and they provide a daily parking pass.

The breakfast buffet was not great.... no fresh eggs, the croissants were stale and the coffee out of the machine was terrible. We ended up going across the street to the Corner bakery for coffee and fresh pastries.

The following morning We packed our bags as we initially intended to leave for Florence. We went downstairs to inform them that we would be checking out and we wanted to pay our restaurant bill, but the young girl behind the counter did not know how to process payment. Later in the week we returned to Montecatini and we stayed somewhere else; but we returned to this hotel once again to pay our Restaurnt bill. The older gentleman behind the counter couldn’t find the bill... finally, the woman that worked in accounting came out and was able to find it. She asked why we left, and we explained.

I’m baffled by the 5 star reviews this hotel is getting; besides the good location, the hotel was too tired for my taste.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2018

When I arrived at the Grand Hotel Plaza & Locanda Maggiore recently, I was given a room which was unfit for human habitation. Posing as a single room it was no more than a tiny broom cupboard. When I opened the door the smell of damp, must and stale food accosted me. There was a small narrow bed shoved up against the wall which was only suitable for a child. The window were locked tight and clearly hadn't been opened for months. About 6 to 7 feet up the wall hung clothes hangers in what passed for a wardrobe. As I am only 5 ft 1" I couldn't reach them. There was nothing else in the room. A tiny shower room had been made from the original small area making the "room" claustrophobic. I tried to update to a better room but was continually refused by the two very rude ill-mannered receptionists on duty. After 3 hours of wrangling and being refused access to the manager, I decided to get in touch with the tour company who I had booked with. Within minutes of them ringing the hotel, I was suddenly offered a choice of two rooms at a supplement of 20 Euros per night when earlier the receptionists had told me that they were fully booked. On the advice of a staff member, who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons, and who witnessed the events, I went to see the manager who was not a very nice person. She told me that I was in the way, taking up a room that she could get two people into and make a lot more money from. She said "we don't want your sort here" meaning pensioners, which appalled me as it was blatant discrimination against a senior citizen. The room I was moved to had a problem with black ants coming up through the skirting board at the window which the hotel refused to deal with. The hotel is old and many of the rooms have not been updated for many years. There is no kettle in any room, no trouser press or ironing facilities of any kind and no plug point into which I could have plugged my travel iron. The noises from the plumbing during the night kept me awake as whenever anyone overhead flushed the toilets it sounded like heavy hailstones hitting the walls of the room. In addition, the clanking sounds made by the ancient plumbing could be heard throughout the rooms. This was definitely not a 4 star hotel as advertised; I would grade it no higher than 2 stars. The rudeness of 2 of the receptionists and the attitude of the uncaring materialistic and discriminating manager and the lack luster night porter was appalling. To openly discriminate against a pensioner was nothing short of criminal. Based on my own experience I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. Apart from the two ill mannered receptionists, the awful manager and the night porter who refused to put ant powder down, the rest of the staff were very nice. There was also one nice receptionist so I would not like her to be included with the other two nasty women. As I had paid for the week I stuck it out but would never go back again. I was relieved when the time came to go home.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. There are much better hotels locally
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank aecmorgan
GPRoma, Direttore at Grand Hotel Plaza & Locanda Maggiore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear aecmorgan,

I have just read you review and I have to admit that I am very disappointed with it. I am very sorry that you were unhappy with your room at the beginning. You forgot to mentioned that you have booked Single Room and upon arrival you claimed that you had paid a supplement to have a Double Room for Single Use. After contacting the travel agency that you booked through it turned out to not be true. Nevertheless, willing to help you, we offered you other rooms. The one that you chose was a nice Classic Double Room. It is also not true that the only thing in the room was the closet. All our Classic rooms are finely furnished and in classical style like the Hotel is, They are about 14 square meters, with telephone, Led Tv, mini -bar, heating/air conditioning and safe. It is true though that the rooms are not equipped with an iron. Only for health and safety reasons of our guests we do not provide irons and ironing boards in the rooms. Regarding the height of clothes hangers please be informed that it is a normal height of 5,3 ft. As I was informed, the receptionist that showed you the room dragged them down for you and you haven’t mentioned to having any issues during the rest of the stay. If is about the ants we checked the room carefully and no ants was found. As I have already written the room 101 has access to terrace so it might have happened that a bug enters. Fortunately the chambermaid that cleaned the room didn’t find any. It is true that our hotel is old but it is also worth mentioning that it is located in the historical structure build in 1784 which makes it the oldest hotel in Montecatini Terme. In the annals of the Locanda Maggiore ( the first name of Hotel Plaza ) the most significant memories are related to the presence of G. Verdi as a Hotel guest between 1882 and 1900. Yet, another great musician had previously stayed here in 1852: G. Rossini. Many of our guests choose our Hotel for its old charm, character and elegance. It is a pity that you haven't appreciate it. I am very sorry that you found our staff’s behavior so rude especially that from the very first to very last moment of your stay they took care about you. I am sorry if found ill-mannered behavior of our Receptionists. I would rather say that they were firm and assertive in their reactions while you was trying to set your rules ( which were against hotel’s regulations ) I find also insulting your words towards the Guest Relation manager. Please be informed that every year we host hundreds of senior guests from all over the word and we always make them to fill like home. Moreover if you read carefully TripAdvisor reviews it is the staff of our hotel that is always mentioned in the positive way and described as helpful, friendly and attentive. Finally I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay. Fortunately for the other 45 members of the group that you came with it was a wonderful stay how they described it in our internal survey.

Giancarlo Poli
Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We have just returned from our trip through Gate 1 Travel (Fly and Drive Program) in Italy. We spent one week at this beautiful hotel. It has some amazing architecture and beautiful character. It is an older hotel, but located in the heart of the beautiful city it was amazing and so convenient to the train for travel as well. We did not have a car and decided to go by train everywhere we went. Which in Italy is always a better idea. No traffic, no tolls, no parking problems, no expensive gas, and no craziness on the roads. The trains are clean, reliable, inexpensive, and all around a much better mode of travel. The hotel does not have AC....so be aware if you are traveling in the summer. They have windows that can be opened, however, even when we were there and it was cool at night - the room was still quite warm. The breakfast served in the morning was ok as far as European breakfasts go. They had toast, different breads, coffee cakes, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, orange juice, meats and cheeses. Enough to get you off to a good start. Their restaurant has an amazing menu and every day has a special of the day menu. We found the food to be quite good, reasonable, and the service excellent. The front desk staff was always quite pleasant and everyone in the hotel was always very pleasant and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in this area. It is a beautiful area and one definitely worth exploring......it's a spa city and is located in the hills. Very pretty.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street.......we had a room on the street side and it was extremely noisy all night long. It's a party city!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family