All reviews riviera travel ferry terminal scrambled eggs dining room lake view lovely hotel four courses melon half board swimming pool the air conditioning landing stage facing the road allocated room evening meal walk in shower lovely position
Reviewed 2 October 2018

The hotel staff were excellent, nice hotel although a bit noise being so near to the ferry terminal. This can be a positive or negative view as it was so easy to catch the ferries to explore lake como. Breakfast was so nice on the terrace and was very good. Not worth paying extra for the balcony though just have a lake view,

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Graham1949Jan
Reviewed 30 September 2018

Arrived at Beragamo about two hours drive away. We had a late arrival but the evening meal was extended for us.
Had room 133 directly above the entrance, noisy with the window open but fine when we closed the window and shutters at night (Good Air con). Twin beds were good and the room itself fine. The bathroom has been refurbished with a shower but lacks space, enough room to function but nowhere to store wash bag and toiletries. Cleaning standard was excellent. Lake view room fully booked so couldn't get an upgrade.
Food was generally good, breakfast very continental with a wide choice of fayre. Hot food not great; eggs tended to be under cooked, bacon was the very thin streaky variety, sausages.
Evening meals were 4 course some of which I have listed:

First Course (2 Choices per night)
Melon, Smoked Pork, Smoked Salmond, Prawn Coctail, Capatici Tuna,
Second Course (4 Choices per night)
Veg Soup, Pasta (Each Night) Dumplings with Gorgonzola, Spicy Pasta, Bean Soup, Cucmber Soup, Smoked Fish Pasta
Third Course (3 Choices per night)
Veal Stew, Roast Lamb, Plaice, Beef Burgoyne, Trout, Veal and Truffle Sauce. Sea Bass, Veal Cutlet (Very Fatty)
Turbot, Duck
4th Course (2 Choices per night)
Tiramisu, Grapefruit Mouse, Creme Caramel, Fresh Fruit Salad, Muffin, Panacotta, Chocolate Mouse, Orange and Grand Marnier with Ice Cream.

All facilities are very good and the staff were all helpful and accommodating. Lots of sun loungers although the pool is cold.

It is 5 minutes walk to the central square and a few small shops. The minimarket next door is an Aladdin's Cave of everything under the sun.

Overall a great location and we had a fantastic week with Riviera Travel. Matt our guide was outstanding and I have written reviews of the places we visited during our daily excursions. Would definitely use Riviera again and would stay at the Menaggio if I was going to Como.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms best for quite and view,
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex S
Reviewed 27 September 2018

We had a week's holiday at this lovely hotel on a Jules Verne tour.The hotel is perfectly situated beside the lake with stunning views from the delightful dining room. We enjoyed the breakfasts and also the evening meals ( we had half board for 4 days)
The staff were unfailingly helpful and efficient and our room was comfortable.
A bonus is that this hotel is right beside the ferry port so perfect for visiting other resorts on the lake.
Menaggio itself is attractive with a good range of restaurants and shops. All in all perfect!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 432janco
Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

A terrible experience For breakfast I lay down in a hammock to work while my husband did the same at the breakfast table, when a worker starts screaming from the dining room, addressing me, until he came to my side shouting at me, that I could not lie down that hammock because it was reserved (I did not put it anywhere) I tell him to stop screaming, he kept shouting and pulling the towel that was under me to get up from the hammock. All the clients watching as this man shouted at me furiously to continue shouting at me, and to speak to me with a very threatening tone. My husband when he saw him from the dining room and saw that the screams were to me he got up demanding him to take care of his ways. We went to the reception, (I was shocked and crying) to tell what had happened when a worker said that she had seen him and was not so aggressive, so I asked the manager of the reception to accompany me to look for a witness and as soon as we went out into the garden, several guests said they had witnessed it, and an older lady said that it had been terrible, and super rude. That he did not justify his attitude at all. We called booking to cancel the stay because we wanted to leave that hotel immediately, and they solved everything, canceled the next night and we were able to find another hotel where they can treat their clients and make us enjoy the stay.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank belenpas7
Reviewed 16 September 2018

We stayed for a week in August on a Riviera Travel holiday. We found the hotel to be beautifully appointed with a fantastic location right next to the lake. Whist we were there the weather was lovely and warm so the sliding glass doors in dining room were fully opened at breakfast and dinner on most days, giving spectacular views of the lake and mountains beyond, and a feeling of dining 'al fresco'. What could be more romantic.
The breakfast buffet was fine and the availability of fresh squeezed orange juice (you do it yourself with a machine and oranges provided) was a nice touch. It would have been nice to have a dedicated egg station but appreciate that few hotels do this.
The food at dinner was excellent and always served piping hot. Contrary to earlier reviews, we found all the waiting staff, both male and female, to be extremely polite, professional and friendly. There is a very extensive wine list but with prices from E24 up to around E150 a bottle this seemed to put a lot of people off buying more than a couple of bottles per week. If the hotel sold a house red /white/rose at a more reasonable price, they would sell a lot more.
Our room was at the back of the hotel so we did not get a lake view, but the room was fine, a good size, clean and the bathroom was large with a bath and shower . Water was always hot. We had no issues with noise from the road or the car park as it was always very quiet.
The hotel is located right next to the small ferry terminal. It was fascinating to see the comings and goings of the various ferry boats during the day and early evening and we did not find this particularly noisy. Even on the small terrace area located right by the ferry pier, there was only a little noise as each ferry pulled in and then left. If anything this added to the atmosphere.
Menaggio itself is a nice little town, but the ferry ride over to Bellagio and Varenna is well worth it as these are truly beautiful.
We would not hesitate in taking another holiday in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple