All reviews great pool certain charm turn left courtyard view huge swimming pool railway track masala old style pool side breakfast was included comfortable room centre of town wine toiletries
Reviewed 3 July 2018

About a 20 minute walk from the bus stop which is next to the train station. Lovely hotel with beautiful courtyard full of pot plants and a wonderful swimming pool. It was like a ghost hotel as for most of our 6 night stay we rarely saw any other guests. Breakfast was ok - best bit was they would cook your eggs for you freshly how you wanted them. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We were on the first floor at the back of the building so the view was of the railway track. Not a problem for us - we live by the sea anyway. The room was adequate, but the bathroom had not had a lot of thought put into its design. Not enough room for 2 people's toiletries, no make up mirror and the shower was very small. It takes about 30 minutes to walk into the centre of town which was not a problem for us. There is a huge supermarket round the corner - come out of the hotel and turn left, then left again and it's on the left - called Deco, with a large variety of fresh take away dishes and a great selection of wine.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank veggiehound999
Reviewed 5 October 2017

We upgraded and paid €220 a night (23 Sept). Probably double what it's really worth. Supposedly a better room with a sea view, but this is a view over the car park. Staff nice but rather ineffectual. Overall the place is shabby, tired and gloomy - definitely not 5 star as shown on the entrance board. No bar - you have to request drinks at reception. WiFi didn't reach our room, or in the dining room. Pool is nice, but the surroundings are bleak with an ugly worn out raffia screen running along one wall. Pool toilet area appalling. Previous days empty bottles and glasses and full ashtrays left for two days. Breakfast poor. Cheap ingredients. One type of white bread. No toaster. Location is not good. It's in a light industrial area flanked by ship chandlers and wiineries. It's quite a long walk into town on a busy main road that in places has no pavement. On Saturday was woken at 1am by 'Purple Haze' blasting out of the nearby disco.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Looks grand from a distance but up close it is in need of some paint. The room was OK but had a view of derelict site. Only one towel was provided. It took two requests in the evening and then another two the next morning to get another one. It's 30 minutes walk into the town.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

I have thought long and hard about this review as I have never written a negative one before I wanted to ensure I was being fair to the hotel. I have been in touch with them direct to express my disappointment rather than simply writing this review. Our main issue relates to the misleading information given in their website:-

The hotel appears to now be called the the New Palace Hotel.

They mention 2 restaurants. One appears to be the breakfast room and the other in the lobby of the old building through which guests have to walk to access their rooms. i cannot imagine they are among the "most exclusive" in the area as it seemed they offered only 1 set menu choice for dinner which had to be pre-booked.

There was no restaurant by the pool as shown on the website.

The pool bar was closed.

We had to ask at reception whenever we wanted a drink which then involved them radioing a member of staff to make and bring us a drink. We asked for a gin and tonic and had to explain which bottle held the gin!

The bar is located in the breakfast room without any lounge chairs and is certainly not "delectable" as stated on the website.

The rattan furniture referred to is in need of repair and is in poor condition.

The atmosphere is bleak.

The swimming pool was lovely and a welcome relief from the heat but you had to pay for pool towels.

We were not aware of any lounge chairs in the garden except the rattan tables and chairs.

The room was comfortable and the bathroom large. The shower took 5 minutes to reach full power and the temperature fluctuated a little but overall the shower was good.

The staff tried to help when we asked for things but it seems there are perhaps not enough of them as they have to radio to other colleagues to sort things out.

We had laundry done and after a bit of debacle our clothes turned up a day later than expected in the neighbouring room but the staff were apologetic.

I feel these comments are fair because whilst they would not be an issue in hotels of a lesser standard this hotel purports to be 5 star. Without wanting to sound an idiot I do travel quite a lot and I have never experienced such poor value for money. We transferred to Marsala after a lovely week on one the egadi islands so the lure of air conditioning is what drew us in. Because we were travelling I was unable to read my full booking email confirming the price and this is my fault and not that of the hotel but I was staggered that they charged me a supplement of 100 euros per day on top of the advertised price on their website for the same period because the management had decided to charge more due to the national holiday on 15th August (although we checked out on 14th). I was told the rate applied to the period 12th to 15th August although we in fact arrived on 11th and were charged the supplement for that day too.

It was about a 25 minute walk into Marsala.

The nearby restaurant I Bucanieri was excellent.

The hotel is certainly not 5 star and was the most disappointing stay we have experienced during our travelling of the past 10 years. I would certainly not recommend it.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is do not stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VanessaStroud
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Back on the mainland from Favignana, arrived Marsala for a swim to cool down, fantastic fresh water pool, pool side service bringing the Aperol Spritz, friendly greeting at reception, period hotel in very pleasant garden/patio area, comfortable room displaying period traditional features, breakfast taken in the period dining room, interesting selection of art, fresh milk served in small portions from a cardboard carton at the bar, the hotel is a bit of a distance from the centre of Marsala for evening eating & drinking, the buses are free to tourist, although a bit of a wait 185 euros double room with breakfast

Room Tip: Arrange transport into Marsala, fantastic pool
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple