“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of My Way Guest House

My Way Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Broompark
My Way Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Broompark B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2010

When faced with a list of overwhelmingly positive reviews I tend to dismiss the couple of negative ones as being down to people's unrealistic expectations. However, in this case our experience was far closer to that of floggit and oxforduser than the others. We arrived at 5 pm to find a sign asking us to ring the owner, which we did. He told us that he was out "getting provisions" and wouldn't be back for an hour or so. This wasn't a big deal, as we were planning to go straight back out anyway. He also informed us that he wouldn't be able to provide the advertised cooked breakfast due to an illness. This was rather more disappointing, and I agree that the cold buffet provided was little compensation for this. To his credit, he did knock £10 per night off the bill for this. There were some nice touches in the room, but we would have preferred more attention to the basics such as checking that all light bulbs were working, removing cobwebs and replacing the showerhead which dribbled rather than spraying. When we came to check out we were told that the credit card machine wasn't working adn that we would have to pay by cheque. Again to his credit, he said that we could post it when we got home.

All in all quite a disappointment, particularly given the reviews on here. We will be looking elsewhere next time we are in Durham.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank EuroReviewer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Shirebrook, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Just read the negative review and think we must've been staying somewhere different to the guest house he described! We were greeted by the owner with smiles and hand shakes. We'd booked a double and a twin room for 4 of us but another friend came along expecting to sleep in the car but keith said he could share the twin room and didn't charge any extra. The rooms were very clean all with en suites and all had their own private entrance. Breakfast was a buffet style 'banquet', the only problem being we just kept on eating for well over an hour as there was so much to choose from!!! We will definately be coming back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank TracyF1966
Midlothian
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Another delightful stay at My Way guesthouse with friends. Keith was very hospitable, and had even rearranged the furniture to suit our needs, as he'd remembered from our trip in January.
The room was clean and fresh. Everything we could need was provided - even the corkscrew!
Keith gave us great ideas for things to do whilst we were there. As we have been several times in the past, we appreciate his guidance in looking for the less obvious touristy things to do.
Gallons of great coffee, as much toast as you can handle, as well as the full continental - great.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a good, clean base from which to explore the area, and appreciate Keith's kindness once again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights for my birthday.
Very nice place, really but unfortunately this is let down badly by the way it is being run.
There was nobody to greet us on our arrival, and if it wasn't for the kindness off the next door neighbour, who managed to get in touch with the owner by phone, we might still be waiting to get in the place. As it happened the owner had left the door to our room unlocked. The room had it's own private access at the back of the property with really nice undisturbed views. What a pity about the rest of the weekend there. We didn't get to to the owner 'til next morning at breakfast. He did apologise for not seeing us on our arrival. Fair enough, we weren't going to make an issue of it.
If you are expecting a an English cooked breakfast, like we were, you will be disappointed as what we had was a continental style breakfast. Not good as this was not on the on the booking arrangements as far as I can remember.
He is a nice person, Keith, but his other business interests are getting in the way of looking after this place efficiently.The main problem seems to be that he is trying to do everything himself and really need to get some professional help in, even if it's just part-time as routine cleaning seems to be lacking, and he should delegate breakfast to somebody who knows how to do it. For £38.00 p.p.p.n. I would not recommend this place. In it's favour: free wi-fi, excellent views from own patio, excellent bus service to Durham. Against: Poor welcome on arrival, breakfast unsatisfactory, general sloppy attitude of owner. Could be a lot better if managed better.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank floggit
northener_10, Owner at My Way Guest House, responded to this review, 29 August 2010
At My Way Guest House I take all complaints as a matter of utmost importance and as such was very concerned to read of the problems you encountered during your recent stay. Due to an unforeseen emergency I personally could not be there to greet you when you came, I must emphasize this is normally not the case as I always like to welcome our guests personally. It was also unfortunate that your mobile network was unavailable to call the number I had left at the guest house front door.

It has always been the policy of My Way Guest House to provide a full breakfast our range of choices from cereals, fresh fruit, Yogurts, selection of bread cheeses, hams as well as a cooked breakfast. Due to this unforeseen emergency a cooked breakfast was not available for this particular period.

I would emphasize that my priority has and always will be the running of the guest house and the comfort of all guests. As mentioned previously due to circumstances outside of my control in this case the usual high standards I set for guest experience may have not been achieved in this isolated case. In over five years and in excess of five thousand guests the guest house has only had two complaints a measure I feel of how seriously I take the running of the guest house.

I have recently contacted Mr Modlinsky to apologise for the problems he encountered and to provide compensation for his disappointing experience and to emphasize that this was an isolated event and in general all our feedback and reviews has always been very positive and constructive. As a matter of policy we take seriously all constructive feedback and have now endeavoured to put further measures in place to try to ensure that such events cannot happen in the future.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

We were welcomed by Keith our amiable host for our 3 day stay in Durham.My Way Guest house is situated just outside Durham in a quiet village.The set up seems quite unique in that the rooms all have seperate outside doors and this provides a private environment for all.There is a large conservatory for breakfast and all rooms are en suite.We will definitely be returning to My Way next year for another break in the Land of the Prince Bishops.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broompark
3.5 km away
6.2 km away
Moor End Guest House
Moor End Guest House
#2 of 39 in Durham

Been to My Way Guest House? Share your experiences!