“Felt like family”
Review of il carrettino

il carrettino
Reserve with
il carrettino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 413 Restaurants in Grosseto
Price range: US$12 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2016

My wife and I stopped here for lunch, via tripadviser reviews on our way to Pitigliano. We got here a bit early and waited a few minutes so that they could finish prepping to open for the day.

The owner was very gracious and invited us in when ready. We do not eat gluten free specifically, but I was very surprised at the depth of the menu. I had a pasta dish, and my wife egg plant - both very good! What really caught my attention was the owner's attention to detail. He served us and was very passionate about the food as well as his business. Not speaking very much Italian myself, we had a nice conversation and he even introduced us to his newborn nephew, after his family came in to eat. When leaving, he shook our hands and wished us well on the rest of our journey.

We left smiling, glad we stopped in and feeling like family.

Great food and great service!

1  Thank tab3165
andrea g, Proprietario at il carrettino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2016

Thanks ..... Nice to meet you.... I hope to See you again ...

Reviewed 15 August 2016

Highly recommend this restaurant to any visitor to Grosseto - fantastic variety of dishes The sign is a little difficult to see so we almost missed it - look for the yellow 'pizzeria' frontage with the bench outside. Delicious food for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike - and you wouldn't even know it was gluten-free- the bread alone was the best I've tasted in Italy. Wonderful service from Andrea who has a real passion for food and was engaging and funny without being pushy. Good prices too. Just go!

andrea g, Proprietario at il carrettino, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2016

thanks .... i hope return in my restaurant ..... good travel

Reviewed 12 August 2016

We came upon Il Carrettino only by chance. It was a Saturday at the end of July. Grosseto was empty of any restaurant open for lunch except for Il Carrettino. We entered to be welcomed by the owner, Andrea, and his second in command Osiris. The food is all naturally gluten free and scrumptious. (Please note that I am not on a Gluten free diet.) My favorite dish was Andrea's creation of a tortellone served with a pistachio sauce. WOW! (no it was not sweet) I would visit just to eat this dish. Our appetizers were amazing as were the salads and other pastas. And no one north of Sicily can make a cannoli like Andrea with his own gluten free shells and the most amazing filling. Best of all was the opportunity to get to know Andrea and Osiris who chatted with us. Prices were quite reasonable. Would I recommend Il Carrettino? YES! Would I return to dine there? ABSOLUTELY!

1  Thank MarcoPro2050
andrea g, Proprietario at il carrettino, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2016

Wawwwww thanks i remember of Your table .... Thank you very much ... When want return im stay in the restaurant to coocking For you .... Grazie grazie grazie

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

Love love love, incredible food, incredible friendly chef/owner who came out and talked to us for 1/2 hour and explained the food in detail, the traditions from Sicily etc. every mouthful was incredible, accidentally found this restaurant by asking for gluten free pizza , but stumbled across an incredible place which we can't wait to return to! Super high quality , cheap prices was a shock to us! Cost, authentic, rustic and super friendly staff, ended up giving us complimentary homemade melon granita made from scratch, also grappa shots, homemade bread to take home and a sample of there pasticeria croissant! Amazing place!

andrea g, Proprietario at il carrettino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Thanks miss ....i hope to see again in My restaurant .... I have other surprise good holiday

Reviewed 26 August 2015 via mobile

We've found this restaurant via tripadvisor and as we are gluten sensitive but in Italy everyone wants to eat a pizza we decided to visit this nice restaurant. We didn't book a table-which was a mistake as they didn't had any free table. But the guy who seemed to run this place solved it and we could have seat an have dinner there. We've chosen frutti di mare pizza, it had cheese base, and it was almost the most tasteful pizza I've ever eaten. We tried the desert as well the only problem with it was the too big portion. Try this nice place, you won't regret it.