All reviews small bathroom spaghetti carbonara train service several trips sitting area clean sheets lake room fantastic location hotel restaurant breakfast room discount card grazie mille visit lake garda short stay reasonable size ferry terminal the hotel offers
Reviewed 4 October 2017

3* hotel ? No way ! 1* and that is being over generous. We have recently (4 weeks) returned from a dire 3 nights in the Du Lac. We had paid for a ' deluxe ' room ( I shudder at what a 'standard' was like) . Spectacular views over the lake from a cracked large and open balcony with 2 cheap chairs and table, covered in an excuse for a tablecloth. But no chance of attempting to relax on such as there was no shade whatsoever from the sun. Yet you couldn't even relax in the communal inside lounge area as it was so dingy, depressing and frugal with warranted electric light. Bathroom was beyond dated and shabby. Only two sachets (yes sachets not mini bottles) of cheap shower gel and mini soap; and when we requested more - I believe they were taking the 'proverbial' when we returned to our room to find about 20 sachets dropped into the sink - a sink with a faulty plug (not attended to despite a request) and grimy taps. Hairdryer was dangling from a nail on the wall. The bedroom was clean, although an open electrical socket in the wall needed avoiding; pillows (loosely speaking) no more than a board. Our request for extra pillows was met with an incredulous reaction from reception. Checking in and out was a cold impersonal experience from indifferent staff. The breakfast room was soul-less - with a feeble 'breakfast' to match. Cleaning fluid emanated from the orange juice option ! No apologies for the attempt at poisoning ! We didn't bother with breakfast after the first morning. And there is nothing that says 'cheap and tacky' than a complete mismatch of coathangers in the wardrobe. Alex Polizzi / Hotel Inspector would despair ! The hotel has a main restaurant which is more aimed at the Gardone public, and this was in fact very good on both the food and staff front - so it is just a pity that the hotel accommodation is at total odds ! The Du Lac is in dire need of a TOTAL hotel refurbishment. With its suberb location it should aim for appropriate improvement. Or are the owners complacent because of the location ? We were so glad we were only there for 3 nights and then moved to Garda Town [ the hotel there was excellent and in complete and utter contrast ]

Room tip: Don't bother until refurbished !!
Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank laytonpm51
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Recently returned from a 2week holiday at this hotel. My wife and I had a top floor en-suite lake view room which was spotlessly clean and comfortable with a view to die for ! This hotel, while being in need of modernisation and a "lick of paint" in most areas, is nevertheless a warm and welcoming establishment where all the staff were extremely pleasant and very helpful. Nothing was "too much trouble" and we were made very welcome particularly by the Receptionist who gave us a lot of useful information about the locality and available transport. The restaurant food was first class with a menu that suits all tastes and nationalities, with the emphasis on Italian! It was quite full every night even with customers from the hotel next door who said the food was better here !!
The hotel is situated right on the waterfront by the ferry jetty where ferries come and go regularly throughout the day. The ferry is the most convenient transport to all lake destinations although ticket prices are not cheap ! The hotel does offer a 20% discount card on Ferry tickets and also on the hotel restaurant prices which is some saving. I would recommend hotel Bed and Breakfast as there are so many restaurants locally you will want to try a few if not all. Virtually every destination on the lake has something to offer with excellent local markets on different days. A trip to Malchesine and cable car to the top of Monte Baldo gives a wonderful panoramic view of the lake and the Dolomite mountains...not to be missed ! Garda, Bardolino and Sirmioni are all worth a visit around the southern end of the lake while Riva in the north is the place to go for water sports ...sailboarding being very popular with the strong winds from the Dolomites.
Overall, a very pleasant and enjoyable holiday in a very good hotel to be recommended and conveniently located at the half way point along the western shore, but do pay the little bit extra for a lake view room...you won't regret it.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Such a beautifully located hotel with wonderful views over the lake. However the hotel owner is doing nothing to improve the bedrooms Obviously just using the location as the selling point. Bathroom in room 204 was a disgrace. Toilet seat cracked and did not fit the toilet. Hence the seat continually slid off the actual toilet! Shower was mouldy and needed re sealing. What a shame! Food was ok but this is only a 2 star hotel. If money was spent on updating the bedrooms, it could easily become a 4 star hotel.

Date of stay: July 2017
1  Thank Francis B
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Having read some of the reviews on here I was a little concerned prior to my holiday. However I cannot fault the location, cleanliness, service or the food. I stayed bed and breakfast as I thought I might like to dine in different restaurants in the evening but as I was staying there I was given 20% discount and actually the food was very good. I have to follow a gluten free diet as I am coeliac which the hotel catered for- I would suggest you give them prior warning. If you want a room with a view of the lake I would suggest you request this at the time of booking. However my original room was at the back of the hotel without a view, I spoke to the manager and asked if it was possible to move rooms and without any hassle he accommodated this request. Such a lovely friendly hotel. The area of Gardone is very quiet wth not a lot to do in the evenings but actually after long days of exploring the Lake, visiting Venice and Verona it was nice to have a nice meal, drink beautiful wine and relax. I would return to this Hotel.

Room tip: Request a lake view at time of booking
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Used to visit here from our stay at the Grand Hotel Gardone where the drink prices were extortionate and the atmosphere non existent.
So most nights and for two lunches found ourselves overlooking the lake in the Bar Restaurant of the Hotel du Lac partaking of our drinks of choice Aperol Spritz or Hugo at €4.50 each or a Latte at €2.00. In the hotel the same drinks were €13.00 and €4.50 respectively. Lovely friendly staff and free crisps with a great view to people watch from, what not to like.

Date of stay: August 2017