All reviews lovely hotel lake view buffet style breakfast reception staff star hotel ferry terminal musical entertainment restaurant staff heller gardens lovely pool il vittoriale small resort tour operator swimming pool is head waiter beautiful room riva del garda
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Lovely period hotel, conveniently placed (e.g. for public ferries, pleasant eateries). Very comfortable rooms with excellent facilities. Would recommend selecting a room with a lakeside view and a balcony. Botanical Gardens well worth a visit. Very friendly and very helpful staff throughout the hotel. A well run establishment!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Twofriends18
Reviewed 15 September 2018

We had a week for my birthday and loved every minute. The food was lovely and the Maitre d', Carlo was exceptionally attentive and great at making everyone feel looked after. He ran a great team. Agnes on the front desk is a joy and arranged fabulous flowers for me from my husband on my birthday. Most helpful in every way. We loved our view of the lake and supper by the pool was a joy with different dishes each night. A great continental breakfast spoilt us every morning. There was no racket from noisy people at night and peace around the pool with no selfish towel spreaders to spoil the ambience for everyone else. We will return.

Room tip: Must have lake view...not road.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ross g
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

An indulgent week at this classy hotel inthe beautiful resort of gardone riviera. Away from the more touristy parts of garda the savoy palace offered a peaceful break with excellent food and service. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who ensured my wife had a memorable 50th birthday. Would definitely stay here again if visiting garda.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2018

The location, overlooking Lake Garda, is excellent, the breakfast buffet is very good, and the evening meal is also good although the menu is fairly limited, so we only dined in the hotel a couple of times during our stay.
Both times the tables were set outside near the pristine swimming pool as the weather was lovely. The first time, with Sebastiano, the Bar Manager, standing in for the regular Maitre D', it was fine; the second time the regular Maitre D' had returned, and what a charming chap! He heard that it was my wife's birthday and immediately provided 2 glasses of Prosecco.
However, after the meal we asked the waitress for 2 coffees, but she said that the Maitre did not allow them to serve coffee outside so if we wanted coffee we would have to go upstairs to the bar!
I had always assumed that hotels were set up for the benefit of the customers rather than the staff, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
We found a number of other small things at the hotel rather disappointing; perhaps in a 2 or 3 star hotel one would have overlooked these rather small issues, but one expects more in a 4 star hotel (and having just come from a lovely 4 star hotel in Verona I'm afraid the Savoy Palace did not compare favourably).
No doubt some would accuse me of nit-picking, but for example, whilst there was a kettle in the room to enable one to make tea, there were no coffee sachets; there were loads of Green tea and Earl Grey tea sachets but as one who likes a jolt of caffeine when I wake up I asked at Reception if we could have some coffee sachets, only to be told "we don't have them". For some unaccountable reason it seems to be hotel policy, so if you want to make a cup of coffee in your room, take some with you!
My wife wanted to open a bottle of sparkling orange from the in-room fridge, but there was no bottle opener in the room. She called Reception and asked for one; 25 minutes later with no sign of an opener I called Reception. A few minutes later someone appeared with an opener which she said we could borrow to open the bottle but she needed to have it straight back as it came from the bar. Before the young lady left with the opener I suggested that for a 4 star hotel it seemed crazy that the hotel should provide bottled drinks with no means to open them! A short while later someone arrived with a bottle opener which we were allowed to retain!
Another minor item: no glasses are provided for the in-room drinks or in the bathroom. Instead, small, cheap plastic tumblers are provided (if the staff remember to replenish them); again, probably acceptable in a 2 star hotel, but in a 4 star one??
One other issue is the wifi service. Although the hotel provides free wifi one has to have a separate U/N and password for each device, and despite ticking the "Remember me" box when entering the password, one has to sign in with U/N & P/W every time one's device is switched off or "goes to sleep". So if one has a phone and iPad, for example, one is constantly having to sign in one or other device which is pretty inconvenient.
So in summary, whilst the hotel has many redeeming features, in my opinion it does not, at present, warrant having 4 stars.

Room tip: 3rd floor rooms have private terraces but overlooked by 4th floor room balconies which have better lake views.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 12 July 2018

The hotel is well located near to the promenade, restaurants, shops , tourist information, ticket office and ferry stop for excursions all round the lake. There is a large Italmark supermarket within easy driving distance ,in Salo, if you need provisions for a picnic etc.We were disappointed with the room described as superior double room with lake view that we were originally allocated as it was on the lower floor and the view wasn't what we hoped for. We were given a choice (between 3 rooms in an upgraded category at an extra cost of 30 euros per night which we opted for and this gave us a room with a balcony with good views over the swimming pool and lake. The room had a kettle and a selection of hot drink sachets which was great. It was a good size and nicely furnished. The buffet breakfast had a good choice of food including hot food. Meals were either in the restaurant or by the pool if the weather was sunny. The waiting staff and reception staff were courteous and efficient.We had one evening meal on a 29 euro - pick three courses offer.This was pleasant. We were glad not to have picked a package that included evening meals in the hotel as we found the menu choice rather restricted and it did not include enough food to our taste and the wine was quite pricey.The menu was displayed prominently each day. There was some gently, pleasant musical evening entertainment in the hotel in the evening but nothing particularly lively. We could hear some livelier musical entertainment from the nearby square but not in a way that disturbed us.The swimming pool and sunbathing area were pleasant. The outside shower is out of action and there is an inside shower near to the pool entrance.The hotel lends you towels for this.The car park by the hotel entrance is actually a metered public car park at the reception level (payable per hour between 9am and 7pm. When you check in ,the hotel gives you a card to display in the window to avoid a parking fine. Hotel parking is via a barrier entrance on level -4 of this car park.For 12 euros a day, your hotel keycard can be activated to operate the barrier. The car park is cool in hot weather but the lighting in the lift area is poor and the car park lift takes you to upper floor of car park and not directly up into the hotel. There is a small tourist information area in the hotel but it's not that helpful. We were not on a package deal holiday and taking into account the overall cost of our stay including upgrade and car park, I think it was rather expensive for what was provided. I assume this is because of location. Ask at reception for the discount card which will allow you money off some ferry rides and some local attractions . Strongly recommend trip to Sirmione but maybe not weekend or public holiday.

Room tip: Go for a higher floor - lake view. - not in the corner. Ask for a balcony that you can sit out on.
Date of stay: July 2018