All reviews entire stay pine forest swimming pool spoke english the pool area is great excellent family holiday bean bags previous reviews half board place is great wine list four star ice cream food is excellent night stay nice beach small children
Reviewed 20 September 2015

We have been visiting for the last 15 years.

September has always been our preferred time to visit. Every year we meet many others returning guests, and we have always enjoyed over visits, the staff, the servicelevel and the location.

I have read some of the recent comments from other people visiting. Most of the returning guests are likely to be more positive, like my wife and myself.

We know what to expect.
We know many of the employees who have been there for years.
We know the strengths and weaknesses. .
We know it may be difficult to find a space to park the car.
We know the rooms we prefer.
We know the place we would like to return to on the great beach.
Thats why we return, year after year.

The resort has come a long way since it was built by Scandinavian trade unions back in the 1960s. You will still get a feel of the early investments when walking through the large area where the small and larger houses are located.

The hotel has over the years got a a more welcoming swimming pool with more space for children, better training facilities and an opportunity to get an all-right massage without paying too much.

The beach is stll the hotel's greatest strength. Excellent staff is another strength.

Breakfast is very good value, and it has alway been.

The pizza and grill restaurant offer good food and a very service minded staff. It may be crowded in the evening.

The evening bar has always been my favorite place to end a day.

Riva has been through an upgrading in recent years. Most of the rooms have been modernised. The remaining rooms will be modernised in time for next year's visitors.
The staff taking care of the rooms are very service minded and doing an excellent job.

A bus service will take you to Castiglione Della Pescaia. The service worked excellent during my last visit.

The supermarket, the wine-shop, the hairdresser and the newspaper shop add value to Riva. I can get my daily International New York Times for breakfast!!!

We will return to Riva del Sole.

Room Tip: We try to avoid rooms towards to the swimming pool and beach bar.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2015

We stayed for 10 nights at this hotel and had a wonderful time. The hotel rooms were clean and modern and looked to have been recently refurbished. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating and this experience played out across all aspects of the resort. The hotel beach is very close to the hotel and easily accessible. The beach was clean and the sea was very shallow for a good distance meaning it was fine for our 6 year old kids. The swimming pools were great too even if they do make you wear swimming caps ( you can buy these for €3 each and wasn't an issue as everybody wears them!)
The breakfast had a good range and you could get proper coffees from the staff who would make it on request (rather than pots being brought to your table). The dinner in the restaurant was of a high standard with a buffet to start followed by a choice of 5 pasta dishes and then 5 second course choices of meat or fish. We could not fault it. Despite reading some of the previous reviews that the service was slow we did not find this to be the case with the staff being attentive and friendly at breakfast and dinner. A thoroughly relaxing stay in a great hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor have bigger verandas than the first floor rooms
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank N E
Reviewed 2 August 2015

This is our third year in a row visiting this hotel for our summer holiday. It is a dream place for all types of guests (couples, families with kids, etc). This year we were given one of the rooms recently renovated and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

I highly recommend Riva del Sole.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Savvas123
Reviewed 24 July 2015

I'm writing this review, not because I'm interested in destroying the reputation of this hotel or being vindictive. In fact, I've only ever reviewed on TA to give positive reviews and recommend something, but both my husband and I were so disappointed with our experience here and so taken aback by the relatively positive reviews of the hotel (the only reason we ended up choosing this place), that we wanted to give an account of our experience to give another point of view. We are not very demanding, nor are we used to luxurious accommodation or holidays, but we do have certain standards and this hotel fell short.

We were so looking forward to being at this hotel after seeing the website and reading the reviews.

The reality of the massive, totally disorganised car park (first come, first serve) at the front of the hotel (just off the main road from Fallonica to Castiglione della Pescaia) was a hard slap in the face of our enthusiasm and not the best first introduction. Then we checked in and were taken to our room. We had read that the rooms were a little outdated, but we hadn't taken on board quite how true this was. There was no room for our 2 large suitcases (true - we hadn't booked a suite or a luxury Riva room but at almost 2,000 Euro for 5 nights, we didn't expect to get what we got) and a large part of the room was taken up by the massive wooden bunk bed for our two young children. We had to squeeze one suitcase at an angle into a cupboard and keep the other on the sideboard where the TV was.

In fairness, we had come directly from a very beautiful, serene countryside hotel (very tasteful, wonderful friendly service and CHEAPER!), but even taking that into account, this was SO busy and impersonal. Neither my husband nor myself had ever seen anything like it. Determined to make the best of it, we got the kids ready and set off for the beach. It was a short walk away, through a little promenade lined with stalls, past a café (staffed by possibly THE friendliest, most accommodating staff I have ever seen), past the massive hotel pool - overrun with hordes of people (there's a reason the picture on the website looks so good) - I shudder to even think about it, needless to say we didn't go there once, and then you reach the beach. You are allocated seats (only 2 for our family of 4 - we could manage, they're small) and towels (again..only 2 for a family of 4 and we were told we're only allowed to change them once a week). What? We went to reception and said we'd paid for the kids too, so how come they didn't get their own towels? Apparently, hotel policy. If we wanted extra we'd have to pay 12 Euros for each towel. It wasn't like we were paying chicken-feed for our room (as pokey as it was), but apparently expecting a towel to be thrown in for each occupant of the room was too much to ask. Plus, we had to hang onto our sopping wet towels and use them for the next few days as we could only exchange for new ones once a week (they checked with management and reluctantly said we could exchange once despite only being there for 5 days, but we should be aware that it's not good for the environment. Huh...why do I think that this was more about the cleaning bill than the environment??).

We loved the beach. As crowded as it was (we expected that in July) and as HOT as it was, the sand was fine and good for the kids to play in and the sea was beautiful for swimming (a gradual slope into the water). In the night there was kids entertainment between the main hotel and the beach and our girls loved going to watch for a few minutes after dinner. There were a couple of great seaside restaurants/shacks along the beach (not associated with the hotel). No huge menus, but hearty food served by friendly staff.

Back to the hotel. We woke up the next morning (the AC worked just well enough to keep us from being baked, but not well enough to keep us comfortable in the night) and we were getting frustrated by the wireless service offered by the hotel (only one device at a time) which seemed unable to cope with the volume of people undoubtedly using it at the same time, but we were hoping for a great breakfast. We made our way OUT of the hotel, to another building where the breakfast hall was situated (did I mention that this place is BIG?) and were confronted with...there's no other way to describe it...feeding time at the zoo. It was just AWFUL. The hall was painted a disturbing maroon, the tables and chairs were cheap and tacky looking and there were so many people. The picture on the website is of another dining room and not the actual breakfast area. We searched for a table and finally found one that wasn't outside under the blazing sun and soon realised there'd be no offers of coffee or drinks as there were no staff for that. They were just there to clean vacated tables. It was all self service and all sub-standard. Apart from the fresh watermelon, everything was pretty awful. Congealed scrambled eggs, dry cake, tinned peaches. It all looked so unappealing and depressing. It was also the first time I've had bad coffee in Italy - from a self-service machine where we had to queue behind about 20 people! We were in despair and vowed not to return for the rest of our stay. We didn't. We made our way to the town of Castiglione Della Pescaia each morning, had pastries and coffee and fresh orange juice in town, stayed on for lunch at one of the numerous charming restaurants there and then returned to the hotel to change into our swimmers and spend the rest of the afternoon down at the beach.

It was the first (and I hope) last time that we actively avoided being at a hotel. It was a real pity, because in those temperatures we (or rather the kids) really needed a haven from the heat. It wasn't a BAD hotel. It was just not what we had expected. I could see the appeal for families with children, but it wasn't for us. It just felt very tacky and impersonal. And the staff...the lady who checked us in was lovely and very friendly, but the woman we spoke to about the towels was very aggressive (it's a towel...I wasn't asking for her first born), also the lady at the swimming pool area where we went to ask about what to do with our wet towels and she snorted and told us we had to keep them and re-use them, and the man we asked for help from because we'd left the key in the room...first a big smile, heard our request, smile disappeared, grumpy journey to the room to retrieve said key, opened door and walked off without a word. A civil word and a smile can make you forget a great deal of sins, but that wasn't to be.

I'm sure this hotel is someone's dream, but it wasn't ours. For the price we could've got somewhere a lot smaller and nicer.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
7  Thank Jasmin J
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

I have stayed here several times. Comparing with my previous visits I see prices climbing, but quality doesn't follow.

# Lots of young new inexperienced staff doesn't help quality.
# WiFi infrastructure cannot handle the amount of guests
# The rooms/apartments could use a refresh but remained the same over my visits.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan A
TeamRivadelSole, Room Division Manager at Riva del Sole Resort & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback.
We are sorry that your stay this time did not meet your expectations, yet we would like to follow up on your comment and know if possible what are the issues that you faced with our staff, we try to give the best service to our guests and we would like you to contact us and relate the statement of the “inexperienced staff” that you faced, in order for us to understand better what happened.
We have installed this year a fully fiberoptic wifi to satisfy better our guests, in case next time you face any inconvenience, our IT department will be more than happy to help you.
We are now in the continuous process of renovating our rooms in the hotel, next we will be renovating the apartments.
Regarding our prices, we are happy to book for you in advance at our advanced preferred rates otherwise you can also check our website for the last minute offers that you will for sure find very attractive.
Please do not hesitate to email us directly next time so we can assist you better.
Best regards,