All reviews ski resort lovely hotel campo smith plenty of hot water lift week italian
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We have just returned from a weeks skiing in Barbonecchia , we really enjoyed it , are first impression of the hotel was very clean a bit dated but that doesnt bother us, as long as its clean and friendly and the food is good . Well two out of three isnt bad . The food was ok but thats all it was . are room was above the back door witch made such a noise when it opened , 6.45 everymorning , so no chance of a lay in .we would go back to Bardonecchia but not in that hotel .

Room Tip: Ask for a room in anex
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnlynda308
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Just returned from a week in the Hotel I Larici courtesy of Neilsons. Our room was in the new annex - modern and spotlessly clean and comfortable. The hotel lounge and dining room were fine and we always had the fire lit for us. I do not agree with the comments regarding the food - both myself and my partner were more than happy with it and she has to shy away from diary and wheat and this never posed a problem. . A buffett pre starter , a hot starter , a hot main and a pudding - and we always looked forward to sitting down to dinner. , not dreading it. We were always dead on time for dinner, i think this did help us. Considering what we had paid it more than exceed our expectations . I would certainly recommend it to other people who want a nice hotel at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for the annex
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IndieRush
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My friends and I have just returned from a week's skiing in Bardonecchia, staying at the hotel I Larici. We had a great time and would happily recommend it to anyone who wants a week's accommodation at a reasonable price.

Following an hour and twenty minute transfer from Turin, we were dropped off outside a pretty building, well worthy of its location in a ski resort. On arrival we were greeted by friendly and hospitable staff who remained so throughout the duration of our stay. Contrary to some of the mixed reviews you might have read, the food was plentiful and generally very tasty and the rooms were clean and tidy and contained showers you only wished you had at home. The open plan lounge and bar area, albeit a little dated, was ideal as a meeting point or for early evening drinks.

My only criticism of the hotel is the charging policy for drinks. You cannot pay for drinks at the bar, meaning that you end up building a tab over the course of the week. On settling my drinks bill on the last evening, to my surprise, I discovered that not only were we being charged for the wine provided with dinner, it was almost always being charged to the same one or two rooms, regardless of who had ordered it.

Drinks debacle apart, we had a great time and would happily return. Bardonecchia is much prettier than it is made out to be, although it is as quiet as reviewers have suggested. The skiing is also better than I had anticipated, with some excellently groomed tree-lined runs and some amazing views of the Dolomites. Yes, you will undoubtedly ski the same runs over the course of the week, particularly if, like us, you spend most of your time on the slopes on the Campo Smith side of town. Even though our party contained some relatively experienced skiers, no-one seemed to get bored, and although we ventured out to Jefferau for half a day, we found ourselves returning to Campo Smith's warmer and prettier slopes.

To summarise, the I Larici is a nice hotel in a nice town with some nice skiing. Even though it was half-term, we lost count of the times we had pistes to ourselves. If you're looking for a peaceful week's skiing without the queues, the prices or the pretentiousness of some of the glitzier resorts, then Bardonecchia could be right up your street.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank MJA-Rdale
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I found a decent Neilson deal for a weeks ski and a half-board stay at the I'Larici in Bardi. I'd never been before but heard good things, and I thought I couldn't go wrong with food in Italy. Well you can. You can go very, very, wrong as my dining experience at I'Larici proved.

The hotel itself is fine; it's in a great location, just 10 minutes stroll from the main lift and 5 minutes into the small town. The staff are fine, polite and accommodating (not that I really asked for much). The shower was great - hot and powerful. The room was... well, a 3 star hotel room - safe, wardrobes, small TV with MTV playing the same 10 songs (always including a Rhianna song) on rotation day after day after day. The room was spotlessly clean upon return every evening and was kept warm. The only objection was that the single bed was very small and the mattress was very, very hard - not a great sleep! But the thing that really killed the experience was the food. I can honestly say, without exaggeration, it is the worst food I can ever remember being served in a public arena - and I've been to Bulgaria and Cambodia.

Imagine, you've had a great day's skiing on the wonderfully manicured Bardonnecchia slopes. You've enjoyed flying down their Olympic slope and had a decent lunch in the Chesal 1805 bar/restaurant at Melezet. After enjoying a cheap cocktail (Vodka Sour recommended) or a watery happy hour beer at Cipo's and handing in your equipment, you're refreshed, but comfortably fatigued and looking forward to the delicious Italian cuisine you're expecting at I'Larici. Instead, you get a dollop of mash, a spoonful of tepid over-boiled green beans and an unseasoned, roasted chicken leg that looks like it's come off a starved piece of pygmy poultry. What an absolute downer! You're so disappointed and still so hungry that you end up having a beer in the hotel and going straight to that firm rectangle of springs and upholstery that is your bed.

Now imagine this scenario for a week, by the time you get to the 'Pizza Party' night, you're desperate. You're thinking, "They can't go wrong with pizza - it's Italy for chrissakes!" Well my friends, they can go wrong with pizza. Dinner is served between 7.30 and 8.30pm. I arrived at 8.20 to find what looked like the left overs from a student party - cold, lame, bits of pizza that, by this point, I just couldn't stomach. And when the wonderfully camp waiter shrieked "Hey' you're late!" I felt it was time to leave before I lost my temper. That night I went to sleep on a stomach that was empty apart from the two and a half glasses of red wine I downed to numb the pain of sleeping on a rock hard mattress.

So yeah, the I'Larici is decent as long as you don't have your food there. Coffee and croissants in the morning are ok though. They also have a small gym in the basement and a place to put your ski gear. In the gym there is a jacuzzi. It's empty. Apparently you can fill it with water use it for 30 minutes for a mere €15. Or is that 15 minutes for €30 - I can't remember - either way it's not really worth it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank BeasleyGreen
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had a half board deal which included flight, transfer, hotel and ski pass for £480. So at this price I would recommend Bardonecchia and this small friendly hotel. We stayed in the older part of the building which although a bit tired and dated is spotlessly clean with comfortable beds and our rooms all had a balcony. Food typically itallian with 4 courses and filling just right after a days skiing,the house wine which is fine at only 6 euros a litre. All fantastically served with a smile by lovely Angelo. Only a 2 minite walk to the bus stop direct to the piste and at max a 10 min walk back after a apre ski at Cipos bar.
Although perfectly acceptable the few small improvements that would could be better for us would have been a warmer lounge and dining room it was chilly and although there is a wonderful open fire we were not able to have it alight. We would have liked a beer on tap and a bath as the jacuzzi doesnt work although this and the sauna is at extra charge although we were not aware of this and is costly at 20 euros an hour and part of this is the time to heat it, and although the small gym is free.

Room Tip: The older building is warmer.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends