“Lovely cottage”
other travellers have booked this property
The front of the house Sitting room
Check Availability
The White Hart
The Coach House, The Bell & the High St
The Bell Inn
The Green Rooms
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Killy50
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage”
Reviewed 27 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Great little cottage, well placed for Gatwick + Kent area, good proximity to Godstone Village + local amenities. Nicely decorated + extremely well equipped. Would definitely book again......only suggestion is to provide parking outside house on the frontage.

Happiness...
“Charming character cottage in Godstone”
Reviewed 21 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Although this cottage is compact it is very charming and very comfortable. The location is also very good as you can walk to Godstone Village within minutes where there are good old fashioned pubs, cafes and restaurants. There are also some lovely walks around the area.

The kitchen is fully equipped and it is very handy having a luxury bathroom but also w.c. upstairs.

27 Sep 2017
Thank you for your lovely comments about our little cottage, and we are pleased you enjoyed your recent stay there.
Haribo28E...
Edinburgh
“Mr”
Reviewed 8 September 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I stayed here for a week in August with my partner and our 21 month old son.

This cottage was not suitable for a toddler. We misinterpreted the photographs and assumed there would be a door between the kitchen and the living room but there wasn't so we had no way of keeping our son away from the stairs or from constantly trying to empty the kitchen cupboards. One of us had to be glued to him at all times. We also had to move all the nice breakables in the living room.

The living room was nice and cosy, good armchair and sofa. The TV had the usual Freeview channels and there was wifi.

The kitchen was well equipped for a holiday rental, there were even weighing scales and an electric whisk should you fancy baking something. There were plenty of plates, mugs, glasses, cutlery and utensils. The small dining table comes with two chairs as shown in the photo, there are two basic fold up chairs in the cupboard if there are four people staying. The door hiding the fridge freezer was very annoying as it wouldn't shut, it was always half open and getting in the way. We were only left two dishwasher tablets for our eight day stay and with all our baby's things we needed to put it on more than that so we ended up washing up by hand. We were not left with very much washing up liquid either, there was no washing up bowl and the plug in the sink didn't seal properly.

There was a very nice shower in the bathroom, good water pressure and lovely hot water. We were provided with one bath sheet, one bath towel and two hand towels. This was for the three of us for eight days, a couple more towels would have been good. There was no rubber bath mat and the shower screen is fixed so you have to get in before you turn the shower on.

Upstairs there is a toilet and a small sink. There was a bath towel on the handrail (surely this should have been a hand towel!).

The double bedroom was a good size with a large bed, built in wardrobes, bedside tables and a chest of drawers. The room overlooks a busy road so there is a lot of traffic noise early evening and from around 6 am if you sleep with the window open. You can't hear anything with the window closed. There is a Paul Smith hairdryer but the styling nozzle was missing, surprising it still did a great job of drying my hair. The hair straighteners were some thin unbranded ones but l had own with me.

The second bedroom has large bunk beds and a chest of drawers. Unfortunately the owners didn't make this room up for us. There were no sheets or duvet covers on the beds and we couldn't find any. We booked a two bedroom property because we wanted two rooms. I was going to sleep in the bottom bunk with the baby in his travel cot next to me (there was room for a travel cot) and my partner was to have the main bedroom (he snores very loudly and I cannot sleep in the same room as him!). We ended up all sleeping in the main bedroom with caused several arguments and a lot of sleep was lost. We booked a two bedroom cottage and we paid for a two bedroom cottage so we expected both rooms to be made up. The owner should have asked if we wanted both rooms and not assumed that we would not.

There were no televisions in either of the rooms (we didn't want one but I think one of the photos showed one in the second bedroom).

The stairs in this property are traditional cottage stairs, the steps are not as wide as modern steps. The is no handrail to hold when going up and down the stairs, not ideal for children, people who are unsteady on their feet and Mums who have a 12kg toddler to carry up and down. Also, the stairs are directly outside the main bedroom. We were worried that we would wake up in the night, forget where we were and fall down them so we slept with the landing light on all night as a precaution!

Parking was easy, we always got a space outside. We didn't spend any time in the village as we were visiting family and going on days out further afield but the location was good for everywhere we went.

I am only giving this property three stars because it was not acceptable that the second bedroom was not made up for us and they were mean with the towels and detergent.

My partner would be happy to stay in this property again next year but our son would only be two and a half so without baby gates I don't think it would be safe.

We took our own travel cot and high chair for our stay.

10 Sep 2017
You state that you have given us a low review as the second bedroom was not made up, however I did ask your husband before you arrived whether he would like the bunk bed made and he said it wasn't necessary as you were bringing a travel cot with you. He made no mention of you wanting to sleep in the bunk, if he had done so we would of course made it up for you. On that basis I think it is reasonable to request that you revise your rating as this will adversely affect our listing status which is unfair as we did as requested.

I did inform your husband when he made the booking enquiry that we were not equipped for small children as the house is a small 18th century cottage with steep stairs and no stair gates, cot or high chair, and the majority of our guests are adults with the occasional older child visitor. I warned him about the stairs again just before you arrived. I think the range of photos also make it clear that there is no door between the sitting room and kitchen.
There was ample spare bedding for all beds and plenty of clean towels in the airing cupboard in the upstairs bathroom so I am at a loss to understand why you think we are 'mean' with towels. Our information pack gives the location of these items so I am not really sure why you were unable to find them! We also leave clear contact details for our local housekeeper - you could have contacted her at any time to request the bed to be made up if you were unable to do it yourself. There was a new washing up liquid together with cleaning equipment in the cupboard under the sink, we provide enough dishwasher tablets to get you started. We provide a hair dryer, basic hair straighteners and curling tongs for the convenience of our guests, very few rental properties provide all three items.

The cottage is our second home when we visit the UK and we equip it as a cosy home and not just a rental property so that we have a comfortable stay - hence the reason we supply so much kitchen equipment, bedding and towels, not to mention hair dryer, straighteners etc! I take your point about the lack of washing up bowl and will supply one in future.

I am sorry that our house did not meet your expectations but I feel that we did make it clear that the house is not really suitable for small children.
Vancouver,Bc,Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017

30 Jun 2017
Meribeth Thank you for your lovely review I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you do return again. The Bell is great, we always go there too! Sue
AlisonM61
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Cosy comfortable home - walking distance to shops, cafes and pubs”
Reviewed 21 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017
person found this review helpful

Godstone is a lovely village with a pretty Green and duck pond. The cottage is in the village and is one of the few holiday lets in the area where shops, cafes and pubs (3) are within walking distance. I had no car but the bus service to Caterham (7mins) and Redhill (15mins) is good and both towns have supermarkets and train access to London. There are lovely walks in the area starting from the village. The house is nicely decorated and well looked after. We had a minor problem that was very quickly fixed by the helpful owners.

23 Mar 2017
Thank you Alison, I am glad you both enjoyed your stay in our house
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing