“Great food great service empty pub!”

Hawkenbury Country Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Staplehurst
Cuisines: European, International, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Family run friendly Inn with a warm welcome offer home cooked food and cask ales. Delightful beer garden with garden bar and BBQ. Large car park. Bouncy castles May - September. Large function room and licensed for weddings and civil ceremonies.New in July 2013, luxury Bed and Breakfast accommodation in our converted stable block.Category:Bed and Breakfast, Functions, Public House, Restaurant
Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

We were a bit worried to find ourselves the only customers at lunchtime on a Friday but we needn't have!!

The Thai fishcake starter was delicious and the mains were good too. Service was friendly and helpful.

Simple hearty food - nothing fancy - with generous portions.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank LizDebP

Reviewed 15 August 2017

What a disappointment. Have had lunch here a few years ago and it was really nice, wish I could say the same about tonight's disaster. Service and welcome was good, even the time we had to wit for our dinner was ok but the food was terrible. I must say that before I start I have had over twenty years in the Hotel & Catering trade and I am a senior reviewer on trip advisor and never like leaving a negative review unless I feel it necessary. Where to start I ordered the Homemade Steak & Guinness pie, the pie filling was mainly gravy with lots of peas, diced carrots and about five half inch pieces of over cooked beef which was hard to chew and served in what only can be described as a packet gravy with Guinness added which had not been cooked out properly and made it very bitter, plus an extra huge pile of peas as one of the vegetables given to accompany. My husband & son had the Pizzas which were soggy in the middle and burnt underneath my son said he couldn't decide whether he was eating pasta or pizza and the cheese was not at all nice, the grand finale was a dried up piece of chocolate fudge cake, even the icing was dark brown and you could tell it had sat around plus the portion size was at least half what you would normally get. Needless to say we won't be returning, a waist of £55 of our hard earnt money!

2  Thank Texasthebigone1966
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Hawkenbury on Saturday night and had a great time, great country pub and a nice quiet room around the back. Breakfast the next day was also very tasty. When considering what we paid I think it was great value for money. Thank you for a lovely stay.

1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 3 July 2017

Had it not been for one (a pulled lamb shank - not the least pulled), of the four served dishes, we would have rated this restaurant 4. Straightforward service, in a friendly atmosphere, with locals coming in, - always a good sign. So: Please try it,- it after all was just one miss, on one day. Unfortunately OUR day..

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Stopped for a pint or two and a lovely welcome awaited, some nice local ales as well as classic largers