US$77
US$120
Hotels.com
The Ship Inn(Caerleon)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsscallopsroman ruinsmain buildingmeat and fishlamb shankpateon displaysunday lunchcrevettesmain coursetwo coursescar parkbooked a tablestaff were attentivelovely atmospherethe blue roomlovely hotel
Reviewed 15 October 2017

Wow what a place, lovely location, fantastic hotel and amazing food. Smallish room but did not book until the day and so was all that was available. Very relaxed hotel with friendly and approachable staff nothing too much trouble. Lovely bar area which was full to the brim with guests and those eating in the restaurant, very good atmosphere. Food was amazing and reasonably priced had the sweet potatoe and bacon soup (to die for) and Lamb shank which was literally melt in the mouth. The hotel far exceeds its 3 stars and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: avoid rooms backing on to main road at the front of the hotel as can be noisy with traffic (we was Rm 7)
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2017

having recently retired, I met some ex colleagues at the Priory in Caerleon on 29th September for lunch and a catch up.

The Priory has a reputation for serving wonderful fresh food and as a result I naturally assumed that it would be expensive, but how wrong could I have been!
We'd naturally booked a table for 13:30 and once all present were taken to our table which was overlooking the garden area on a beautifully sunny day. The menu consisted of two courses..a starter and main dish, all for £11.95 which I thought was great value. being cynical I thought that once the portions were delivered, they would be small thereby reflecting the price..Again I was wrong!!
Guest are invited to choose from a selection of dishes written above the counter where a wide range of fresh fish is displayed from fresh salmon to white bait. My colleague chose a trout which was taken from the display to be cooked fresh. I'm not a fish lover and so Chicken pate and Brisket of beef served with a wine gravy..The waiting staff were dressed with aprons and made a nice change from some places where jeans and tee-shirts seem to be the norm. The dining area is made up of different sized tables thereby being able to accommodate parties from couples to work lunches and all within a relatively civilised and quiet ambiance.
when the pate arrived it was presented wonderfully with a mixed leaves and a pot of caramelised onion relish and bread. The portion of pate itself was about 4 inches square and about an inch deep, more than enough for a starter.
My main course arrived and again the brisket was beautifully tender and a substantial size of beef served along with Broccoli and new buttered potatoes. After eating my fill, and believe me, I love my food, I really didn't have room for one of the many deserts on offer which varied in price from £3.00 to about £5.00 which is average. Although we ate at 13:30pm, we didn't leave until gone 5pm. During that time we were left alone only being interrupted whilst the crockery was cleared or extra drinks served. It made for a great time with a relaxed feel from start to finish

As this is also a hotel, the drinks were a little expensive with a small bottle of coke coming in at £1.75, but these are hotel prices after all.
Taking into account my whole experience, I would have no problem in recommending the Priory at all..In fact, we've already booked again to meet in October and November too

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We were attending a family party and booked a family room. On arrival we were told we were in the cottage and not the main building. This was situated in the corner of the car park and looked more like a converted stable block than a cottage. If it had been raining we would have got soaked as you have to crisis cross between the parked cars to reach the cottage. The room itself was big enough but the main bed a bit springy. Breakfast was fine though the coffee pot for 2 was a bit meagre. On a plus side the staff were very helpful. Other family members who stayed in the main building said our room was much bigger than theirs but maybe that was because it was a family room. The grounds were well maintained but overall we were disappointed with the experience.

Room Tip: Unless you want to take a chance on the weather ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2017

A two night weekend stay. Very nice, smallish room. Although our room looked out onto the car park and also a week end no noise problem. There is a large garden.
The bar area is large and when we were there full and noisy at dinner time. There is no separate residents bar (? worth a thought) The dining room is also large and can be noisy. There is a quieter room off the main room. The food is excellent, no other word for it. it is arranged in a large open fridge with the sea food on ice with the menu above it. There is a very reasonable two course for £17-50 menu as well as a la carte. The service is good with the gap between course just right.
Breakfast was also good.
The staff are efficient and friendly.
My only criticism is that the bar was undermanned earlier (7-8pm) on the predictably busy nights of Friday and Saturday.
Booking for a meal would be essential, I would think.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

I am so glad to have celebrated my 40th birthday at The Priory with my family! Every single member of staff cared for our needs, beyond my expectations! From checkin to checkout, breakfast, dinner and in between!

The grounds are peaceful and very close to the Roman tourist attractions. The rooms are superbly and tastefully furnished for the period of the building, and are very clean. My elderly parents stayed in a ground floor room in a more modern building - attention to detail equalled!

Dinner: you choose from an array of fresh meat, fish and veg chosen from a large refrigerated display at the heart of the restaurant and cooked to order. And portion size was so big I didn’t have room for desert! Go for the chips! No, really, they are amazing!

Breakfast: a nice selection of hot food and a continental selection that matches 5-star hotels!

Thank you, everyone at The Priory! I can’t get over how well I and my family were looked after! You gave us five star treatment and I’m already planning my next stay!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family