Hotels.com
Travelocity
FindHotel
StayForLong
All reviews the pub peak district spectacular views highest pub sunday roast lamb lunchtime menu attached room food was fantastic steak and ale pie sandwich fish and chips lovely old pub ate here sit outside bakewell pudding both nights
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 October 2020

My husband and I visited The Barrel Inn last year, it was highly recommended by a friend and it didn’t disappoint the food was amazing I had the lamb chops, it’s not something we have at home, I was first surprised at just how big they were, but wow I’ve never tasted chops that good ever!

So going back we did wonder if our expectations would be met again, we booked our table for just after sunset we arrived early so we could watch the sun go down, we were very lucky, it was a clear evening and the view from the pub garden( your on a hill) you actually look over the pub was absolutely stunning.

Even though it was a Sunday, they had other very tasty options on the menu, we both went for the Sunday Roast I had lamb my husband had beef we were both so happy we did it has to be in my top 3 places for a Sunday roast Ps the bakewell pudding is incredible

Gary the manager is so warm and friendly you are made to feel like a old friend / local when visiting which gives this pub a special vibe , added to the mix warm lite fires you really don’t want to leave ,so we did go back (be rude not too ) for a second time, we had a lovely day out at Chatsworth House topped off with dinner on way home, again a wonderful meal that’s a far cry from pub grub

I highly recommend this old pub on top of a peak , enjoy

1  Thank Samhskinandbeauty
Reviewed 15 September 2020 via mobile

What an amazing pub, why have we not been before. Very well organised for Covid, polite and courteous staff and excellent food plus views to die for!
Also, many thanks to all the staff who helped with first aid after my wife got injured on our walk - much appreciated.
We will return again definitely.

Reviewed 12 September 2020

This was our third visit and once again we are already looking forward to returning. Our room was spotless and comfortable. We went for the deluxe king size and there was plenty of space with a modern bathroom. The breakfast included was brilliant. The staff were very welcoming. We ate both nights in the restaurant and there was sufficient social distancing. Despite a reduced menu there was plenty of choice and the food we chose was delicious. The views are stunning and it is a great base to explore the area.

Reviewed 6 September 2020

OK, so first thing to say is this was a last minute booking and we got the family room. It is a small-ish double and bunk beds in a very small attached room. Room was comfortable, bed was very good, excellent night sleep. Great bathroom - so much hot water we both were able to have baths following a very wet long walk. So there are some signs of damp, indeed the room with the bunk beds was very cold and damp, although there was heating available, the paper was peeling, so not certain I would want my child sleeping in there. We ate at night, food was good. Breakfast in the morning was waitress service rather than buffet, not certain if this is a Covid amendment. Selection was good and food was fantastic.
Now the thing that really made it for me, the staff. The bald bar-man was so friendly, funny and welcoming, as were the younger staff. So sorry can't remember names. This does make the place so warm and welcoming.
I did have an issue that my payment went through twice - once by card at the establishment and once through the automated booking system, but the owner rang me to apologise and arrange the refund, which came through one day after the duplicated charge. Would defintely stay here again. Almost forgot to mention the stunnign views, on a good day lovely to sit outside with a drink and enjoy. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: August 2020
2  Thank MPP2703
Reviewed 1 September 2020 via mobile

So glad to have booked here. The staff were so friendly, we had a lovely cosy room.

The inn is surrounded by the most stunning views.

The food is amazing and realistically priced. Service was very good and very friendly staff who were chatty and gave tips on best places to go walking.

It got very busy here and I can see why. So glad we experienced this establishment and beautiful Derbyshire.

Date of stay: August 2020