All reviews swimming pool matlock bath lovely grounds hotel grounds stunning location evening meal steep walk buffet style cromford canal other guests two singles boat inn derwent valley single room tea and coffee one night stay superior room
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Having previously stayed in a motel the night before , I was shocked at the view approaching me in a nice way , completely bowled over fabulous.. the receptionist Annie lovely so helpful couldn’t fault ,yes the rooms are a little dated but the surroundings completely make up for it and the staff so lovely , yes it’s the Christian guild ..but what does that matter and what does it matter that the guests are older .... everyone seemed pleasant ... the breakfast was great and the ladies serving it were taking pride in what they were doing constantly asking if you were ok , and the main thing it was like home cooking , hot and plenty of it thank you I had a lovely time I really enjoyed I take as I find and it was great , peaceful ......

1  Thank Pinkstonekerr
Reviewed 12 July 2018

This is a gem for visiting Derbyshire, as it is an outstanding position to enjoy the lovely walking to be found close by May I. recommend two short walks direct from the Castle.
! This will take 1.5 -2.0 hrs. Firstly walkd down the drive, turn R at the road, crossing the river and take the first lane on the right after the Church. Walk past the Church and look for a FP on your right. Follow the FP up a winding route for about 300 yards until you reach the top of the cliff which faces Willersley Castle Hotel and enjoy the view. Note if you fail to find the FP, go back to reception, they will be pleased to help..
2 This walk starts from the rear of the hotel and is a nice river side walk to Matlock , about 1.5 miles. Before you start the walk one must ask and obtain a pass key from reception so you are able to unlock and relock the path metal gate on the way to Matlock. After visiting Matlock you can return the same way or catch the bus back to Cromford.

While you are at the Hotel do take advantage of the Excellent swimming pool.

As you can tell we enjoyed our holiday at Willersley Castle Hotel, we hope that you will

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

When people on here moan and moan I’m sure they must have a sad life. Good rooms it was hot and got to say receptionist went above and beyond for exceptional service. I came in after admiring the views outside and to cool down and asked do you hire fans out. She said u can borrow ours from reception which I thought was really kind of her to do. Sorry didn’t you’re name would have put it on here for brilliant customer service. 09 July 18

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Arrived after 4.5 hour drive 13.30hours to be sternly told, no check in until 1500hrs. Asked to luggage deposit, to be pointedly told just place under staircase, no welcome smile etc , it was very hot day , nothing was offered, just said use swimming pool, here is code. No info given as to where & how to get there, we could have taken car instead ended walking up to steep hill up the road. Came 1530 at reception for check-in to be informed we have room into News, not in main part of the building, very disappointed, however I booked room very early on 11th June via Booking.com. Even knowing my disappointment, I was told no other room was available.
Carried out suitcases up hill to the news, only to find room on 1st floor & no lift. By this time we were wilting with heat & exhaustion. Some how managed to the room to find, it's very outdated, tired room, which does not have facilities expected as norm for example telephone in the room, A/C or a fan. An old low level chair but no table. Walked down to reception again to be told by Gareth manager no other room available, can upgrade tomorrow which would cost £20 per night. Which meant packing/ unpacking again, unable to relax for another 24 hours. However it was very upsetting to be told you have got a good price, such a throwaway remark didn't make me happy. I took up the offer what was available on line booking, no bargaining could take place. One Table lamp didn't work in room & radio unworkable. TV remote controller filthy. Under Shower door is black mould. Arthritic hand/ fingers will have great difficulty in shower controls also water pressure is pitiful. Bed headboard is wobbly/ shaky, not enough pillows on the bed to support back sitting up. It has been a 3 nights of misery / uncomfortable, very bad experience. When guest come to places like yours they have a reason, to relax, enjoy & to be comfortable. So I suggest to you all "if you cannot offer all of that don't make it worse. Payment was collected on 11th June, whereas booking.com, says payment will be taken 3 days before arrival or on checkout. I may be wrong but noticed that church people have preference over anyone else.

1  Thank LusciousLupins
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

Booked an overnighter at this hotel before I'd read some of the negative reviews and I'm glad I did.
The staff are very friendly and the duty receptionist Carolyn was very sympathetic concerning my husband's recent blood clot.
Are room was in the mews which if I'd known I would of booked into the castle itself, Carolyn tried her very best but unfortunately they were quite full .
In the evening we had a meal off the lounge menu , which is very reasonable, the Willersley burger was delicious, however I was not looking forward to breakfast after reading some previous reviews, but I have to say it was faultless .
The hotel could do with some tlc , but I think it adds to its charm , and yes I would go back when visiting matlock again.
Thanks for a lovely stay .