Lock in the lowest price from these sites
StayForLong
Hotels.com
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 August 2018

The winchelsea guest house is the ideal place for business people, students, or individuals visiting for visa appointments. The own is very much organized in pick up on arrival at the airport, and transportation, his best interest is to make his guest comfortable and make their experience a wonderful one. The Guest house is in a quiet neighborhood. I would recommend this place for individuals who study a lot the rooms are lovely with a wonderful view of the street.

Room tip: King size bed with lamp table to study and easy accessible washrooms.
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
winchelsea1962, Manager at Winchelsea Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Thank you Micky for ur review.. My aim is to make everyone happy and satisfied once they are at my place. When u are coming back again as u said u will be back before the end of the year, just message me and I will give u a further discount and if u know any one or people that are coming to Barbados please give them my information.

Again thanks again u were a wonderful and pleasant guest.
W

Reviewed 6 March 2018

1) Cash only, no refund. If you want to watch tv the living room is the only area with cable. No air conditioning, but a fan in your room to keep it cool. Rooms are not thoroughly cleaned, there was a used hairy dirty bar of soap near the bathroom sink in my room. Wi-fi wasn't working properly in the house, so another guest that was there told me she threatened to leave because he told her it worked fine but after she signed the agreement she went to use it and nothing. He bought a wi-fi router for us to use after she complained.

2) There is no shuttle, the owner rents a car and picks you up.
I do not advise single women to stay here, owner is nosy and seems lonely. After picking you up at the airport, he will ask you if you have the money for the room (obviously why would I show up empty handed?) My flight landed early in the morning and I wanted breakfast, he suggested going to a Massy supermarket and made it seem like there wasn't anywhere nearby the guesthouse to go shopping. I did buy breakfast, but the supermarket itself is expensive. He walked through the entire store asking if I was going to buy anything else for the house. I wasn't planning on cooking, I don't cook while on vacation..I just got some juice and water and he handed me his rewards card to scan. He did the same thing to another female guest the next day, and I later found out (from talking to locals) he does this because Massy has a rewards program where you get points for every dollar spent. By the way, once we reached the house he told me if I walked to the bottom of the hill the beach was there, well not only was the beach there but there was also a supermarket cheaper than Massy, (Jordan's) and a few other stores.

3) He assumes that you're going to hire him as your personal chauffeur and pay him to take you around the island. I was told by him that the buses didn't run very often and if I needed to go somewhere he will take me if I pay him. Well, that same day I found the cheaper store, I also saw buses and taxis galore. I talked to some locals about getting around and stuck with taking the bus. I did take a taxi home at night because I was told by a few people the area isn't safe to walk around at night. I also mistakenly walked to the wrong block to catch the bus home, so I stuck with taxis in the evening there on out. He told me about Oistins Beach on Friday nights and he'll take me if I pay him. He knocked on my door Friday morning to ask me if I was going to Oistins that night and who is taking me cause he'll take me if I pay him..really?? I didn't even eat breakfast yet and here he is worrying about me and my plans and putting more money in his pocket. I got to know a few taxi drivers, and had one take me there and back. Saturday morning, he asked me how was I getting back to the airport on Monday, I told him I thought he was taking me cause that's what we agreed on. He said since I wasn't using his rental car to get around he took the car back..no problem I found my own way back. I just reported him to Expedia for this, don't advertise airport transportation then change your mind about it just because you expect your guests to spend the majority of their money on you to get around.

4) Safety. I don't know if it's paranoia or if it's a bad neighborhood but I have never been to someone's home with so many chains and padlocks inside and outside of the house. There's a chain and padlock on the fence before you enter the home he claims that's for safety...as if someone can't just hop over the fence. When you get inside the house, there's a second door with a padlock on it that he keeps open because he doesn't want his curtains messed up. Upstairs there's another door to a small porch area that also has a padlock on it. Bars on all of the windows, and there's an additional door at the front entrance with two locks you slide to get in. I think he keeps the chain and padlock at the front fence so he can hear you coming in and out..example..I got home early one night and fell asleep, woke up hungry later on that night and had my taxi driver take me to get food. I came back and all of his lights were on so he must have heard me leave. After my driver left, he came out of his place to say wow you were out late tonight! um ok and?? I'm an adult not your child...what time I come in and out is none of his concern. He does go in your room, I ran out of toilet paper and I forgot to mention it to him on my way out. When I got back later that day, there was a brand new roll of toilet paper by my door..how did he know I needed it when I never told him?

5) Upon checking out, he had to make it a point to mention to me again that he rented the car and not once did I ask him to use it. First of all I didn't tell him to rent the car and I don't know why he made the assumption I would be using him to get around. I don't go on vacation to spend all of my money, especially on someone as greedy as him. During my flight home, he texted me on whatsapp saying I left my winter coat in the closet. That was not my coat but someone else's that was left there...so either he doesn't check his rooms at all or was just lonely and trying to start a conversation. Then he texted me again saying well I wonder who it belongs to and if it belongs to a man or a woman. I'm halfway across the ocean on an airplane do you really think I care about a coat in a closet that doesn't belong to me? I blocked him after that, no need to keep in contact with him because I have absolutely no plans to stay here again and wouldn't recommend anyone to do so. I also have photos I will try to upload of the inside of the house, along with the hairy soap bar that was in the bathroom, the backed up bathroom sink, and the fuzzy tv in my room.

Room tip: Don't settle for this place, keep looking
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Missk P
winchelsea1962, Owner at Winchelsea Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

This lady came before 5 am in the morning in the morning on a Jet Blue flight. There was no where opened to get anything to eat and she was hungry. I took her to a closed restaurant that opened at 7:30 am and I stayed with her until that time as it was kind of quiet and lonely and not safe in that area that early in the morning. It was not safe to leave here there by herself. Most taximen would have dropped her off to fend for herself and come back and pick her up at 8am. If they had to wait they would have charge her extra waiting money. I did nothing of that sort but I sat and waited with her until she got something to eat. I respect woman so I would not have done anything like that. Now my check in time at my accommodation is 12 noon and my place was filled up the day before and they had gone so I had to ask my worker to come in early to prepare a room for this lady and all the other rooms. I had to pay him extra. Two new soaps were placed in here room, two clean towels, new sheets, pillows cases, the floor was swept and mopped, the toilet and shower were cleaned etc etc. I found it very strange that I had guests that came in after her and no one I REPEAT no one complained of the frivolous complaints she had made. Like I said check in time was 12 noon and she checked in 8 am, 4 HOURS before check in time. I did not keep her waiting.
I had other guests who used my rented car where ever they wanted to go. This lady actually called other taxis with my rented car parked outside and the other guests were actually surprised at that behavior. So when the other guests left I sent back my rented car as I saw she had no intention of using it. I was paying 75 us a day for it. So does that not made sense to send it back?
All my tv’s work even the one in her room. All she had to do was to call me let me show her how to operate it like I showed her to operate the one down stairs.
I usually looked after my guests to make sure they get home and inside safe and there is a lock (every guests has keys to his/her room and any lock. One does not want an outsider to get into the accommodation as that can be breaking it if your place is not well protected. Many guests before they come always asked if my place is well protected and fenced in and my answer is always yes. So if this young lady wanted to leave her room exposed to outsiders that would be her stupid fault. One has to be careful when you have guests from overseas who don’t know Barbados and its surroundings.
You can read all the reviews where guests were very happy staying by me and many have came back a second and third time.
IF this lady had issues and problems she should have solved them before she came to Barbados. I had other guests staying during the time she was here. Have u seen any bad reviews from them? Think for your self if u think this lady head is good.
Air conditioning is there but the month of Febuary is very cold and none of the other guests wanted A/C. In fact a lady asked for another blanket as she said she very cold at night. There u go then. If she wanted A/C she could have said so but said nothing.
WIFI is working but I made it more powerful the same day when a lady said it was bit slow by buying a mifi and she was very happy but since then the wifi provider have install more power through fibre and it is work 120 %
I did psychology- human behaviour while studying in London. This lady and I were chatting and I gathered that she was actually meeting strangers for the first time and going places with them. SO I had to warn her that was totally wrong. I said u can,t do those sort of things. I Said u know nothing about the person. He could be a murderer, a Bad person. So I was very worried about here behavior while In Barbados. That is WHY I asked if her head was sound as none of the other guests did nothing so foolish. IF anything had happened to her the first person the police would be asking questions to would be me. So I prayed to God that nothing had happened to this strange person. I had other guests and they were pleasant and they said nothing bad about my place but as soon as she left and gone back home ,everything was wrong with my place. Don’t u find that strange? Further to my human behavior training, she was smiling strangely, another weird behavior, then t o go back home and say all of those nasty things. Well well!

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

This place is very nice professional pick up at the airport. Friendly host and tour guide he is very knowable. Rooms cozy and nice with the full works. Shower is so relaxing. Cable tv, wifi, very secure this place is Recommended

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

I have been several times to this lovely place. Very friendly owner. A peaceful getaway. The view upstairs is very lovely at night. Will recommend to friends if they need a peaceful getaway, especially at Christmas time.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Nice and clean room with free wifi and a very friendly host who is happy to talk to you about the island and show you around as well as collect and drop off at the airport. I would stay here again if I was in the area. it is a 5 minute walk from the beach. Rooms are quaint and it is apartment style.

Date of stay: February 2017