“"very disappointing, never again"”
Review of The Sunfold

The Sunfold
The Sunfold
Reviewed 5 September 2016

Ideally situated for local amenities, however: We we were greeted with "move your car forward". Musty smell hit us as soon as we started to go up the stairs, in need of redecoration in this area and in the bedroom. Room felt cold and unused, first thing we did was put the heater on to air it. Room was very basic, shower, toilet and sink were all in separate parts of the room as opposed to having a nice bathroom. Not as clean as it could of been. We were meant to stay two nights, however we left after one night. Breakfast was average and only had a service window of 45 minutes. We felt the dining room was mucky and smelt like a greasy café which completely put us off. Definitely overpriced !!!

Room Tip: Balcony/sea view room pleasant but very noisy. balcony rattled all night
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

Booked to stay for 2 nights with my friend and her 19 month old boy. Car park holds 3 cars (not 4) We entered the Sunfold and had to pay before even being shown to our rooms which is £77 a night. Luckily my friend didn't pay for the second night upfront. My first impression of jackie seemed nice and down to earth. When shown to the twin room at the back my friend nearly tripped on the small step down to the room and jackie didn't even worn her or apologise. The room was very dated which i did not mind as i find it quirky but what i DO mind is the smell of damp in the room!!! The beds even felt REALLY damp and i could not sleep all night as my legs felt damp! There were stains on the sheets, ( which she blames me for spilling a cup of tea on) The toilet and shower was in a tiny cupboard, however the shower works good! We just wanted to get out on day 1 to visit weston after taking ages to finding a parking space. So we rushed out.
Next day we got up early. Please take some slippers as u will end up with black feet! I really didn't mind the layout of the room, it was the fact it just felt and was dirty, which made me feel dirty. We went for breakfast which is served between 8:45- 9:30am (which baffled me) and was typed out on a piece of paper with crossing out. I got a really bad vibe at breakfast and was cooked by jackie who seemed stressed out. She came out and plonked our breakfasts down and didn't say anything at all. It was making me feel anxious watching her stress. The breakfast is a nice room i thought. We was going to speak to jackie about our night stay to see if we could change rooms.
She must of felt the vibe also as she came knocking on our door to ask if everything was ok? I explained i am not happy with the dampness and cleanliness with her reply being "ok girls do you want to leave today or??" Which shocked me! It was like she switched. After some discussions she also asked "what do u want me to do" My friend stated about getting our money back and straight away she went and got our money back which i thought was good. But so she should!! I was very disappointed and everywhere else was booked up as it was a bank holiday! Defiantly not a three star and not worth £77 a night. Theres one thing being dated but CLEAN is a different kettle of fish. No excuse for it. Could be done really lovely aswell as the location is excellent.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2016

Having stayed all over the world in all kinds of accommodation from 6 star in the Gulf to 2 star in Blackpool, the Sunfold is quite frankly the worst we have ever witnessed.
Parking, well lets say set down and unload, in all the reviews not one has mentioned the traffic light crossing that spans the front of the property, stopping on the crossing is illegal. On speaking to John the owner he said oh you will get parking easily on nearby streets, a 15 minute walk from multi storey carpark wasn't that close really.
The room, we were given, the owners words "its the best for you as you have a suitcase, is downstairs". The grime on the wooden handrails was thick, anyone who knows public areas will recognize what im saying, a build up that is black and sticky it can be scraped off and looks like tar. On entering the room the damp smell was disgusting, the décor was tragic and 50's/60's, the lamp had been glued back together, they are 4 quid in Argos!. The room was filthy not just unclean but filthy. Peeling wall paper, black damp around electrical sockets, I have plenty of pictures. The bathroom, VITAL WARNING I urge NO ONE to use this bathroom, there is a Brown 30-35 AMP junction box with wiring showing cut into the skirting board that sits 2 inches away from the shower tray, I have reported this to the authorities in Somerset, whether anything gets done in a rush I don't know, but PLEASE REFUSE THIS ROOM, room number 2, in the basement. Internet-no internet, as we started to search for other hotels, bank holiday w.e. slender chance, went to Atlantic Hotel (they were full) , helpful guy found us a room at Smiths hotel, smiths is dated but 500 times better than the Sunfold. The days of guest houses like this should be well over in 2016, to all the foreign visitors to this country I am sorry you have to experience this embarrassing mess. This place should be closed down and ripped out and started again, its not cheap at 77.00 per night. Granted the lady did give us a full refund but reeled in shock that we said it wasn't clean.
Its hard to see how the reviews written by some (apparently real people) can give this place anything glowing.
When I spoke to John about the condition of the facilities he said rudely "if you wanted 4star then you should have booked 4star" what I wanted was a reasonable priced WSM B&B, welcoming, friendly, reasonable décor but most importantly clean and SAFE.....THIS HAS NONE OF THESE, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS.
J Parker Bath.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
lucywestonsupermare, Owner at The Sunfold, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

what a nasty rotten scathing review to put on, MR ANGRY , he came in and went to one room on the ground floor, no where else and he could say all that by one room , the rooms on the ground floor have no views and some people like them because it quiet, and some people do not like them , there is nothing i can say that will make it better but i have now decided that the ground floor rooms are off.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

We had 2 very enjoyable nights stay here. Place was lovely and clean. It was nice to have a lounge to go into before retiring. We had a wonderful view from the balcony. We were able to see Wales - Cardiff Stadium. On the other side the coast of Devon and Cornwall. It was well worth the 4th floor climb to get to the room. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice . Not far from the attractions and town, ideally placed. Would definitely come again.

Room Tip: We had the balcony room, well worth the 4th floor climb.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LYNEMIKE
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

First impressions the "welcome" was move your car forward and come back. Then tried to charge for four nights when we only booked two. Musty/Smokey smell in the corridors. Room was ok. Bathroom tiny. Husband is 6'2 and couldn't stand at the sink to brush his teeth without having the door open. Breakfast average. Would be nice to have your own coffee pot as we had to keep shouting through to the kitchen to ask for coffee which for me is embarrassing as I'm on medication that makes my swallow shallow so need plenty to drink so I don't choke. Like I say was ok but we will stay elsewhere next time.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
lucywestonsupermare, Owner at The Sunfold, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

our aim is to please, our bathrooms are over 7ft high so no problem for tallish people, we believe in that, what ever pleases our guests comes first, there is always someone you cannot please.