“disappointing but ok for a coffee and cake”

Boathouse Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 1 Quick Bites in Brampton
Reviewed 12 February 2020

Such a beautiful spot could so so much better in its cafe facilities.
Opening times are short 10.30 til maybe 4pm if your lucky.
Coffee, cake and ice-creams are great as a warm up or cool down but for anything more substantial go to nearby Brampton which has a raft of coffee shops or nearby pubs in talkin etc.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (31)

Reviewed 21 January 2020

We decided to walk two laps of the tarn today and break the walk with a visit to their snack bar, on arrival we had coffees and hot savouries followed by cakes and they went down a treat. The lady that served us couldn't have been more helpful if she tried. We would certainly recommend this establishment to friends & family.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 25 May 2019

As local residents we visit the Tarn regularly for a walk with our dogs. Over the years we have repeatedly tried the cafe only to be disappointed every single time.

Our last visit was on a beautiful sunny, warm but windy day yet the cafe staff had only managed to set up outside 2 tables in the enclosed (wind free) area that looks like would hold up to 5 or 6.

Having entered the downstairs cafe area we found zero customers and a young girl behind the counter texting on her mobile phone. When we asked if she was cooking bacon or sausage rolls, she said no but if we went upstairs we could have some. With that we left and decided to visit Cranston’s in Brampton where they sold us a couple of superb bacon rolls. Couldn’t see the point in opening the downstairs area if they can’t provide a service. A dumb waiter might come in useful here.

Sadly the staff at this cafe have no desire to provide decent customer service. It’s a shame because it’s a great location. Perhaps it might be better run privately rather than by the local council.

On a previous visit my wife ordered a bacon roll and asked for the bacon to be well done. The staff response from this request was “ we’re very busy so you’ll have to have the bacon how it comes”. Needless to say we didn’t stay to see how it turned out, we simply didn’t order and left.

I’ve lost count of the number of times the place has been closed early and I’ve seen potential customers trying the door without any joy.

We’ll no doubt try it again at some point when hopefully I might be able to favourably update this review .

Reviewed 21 May 2019

A great place to use for an afternoon, after a stroll around the tarn. The homemade cakes and scones are excellent.

Reviewed 19 May 2019 via mobile

Came to the tarn to have a walk with my partner and decided to have a visit to the tearoom
I wish we had never bothered
From walking in and being ignored by the girl on her mobile who couldn’t be bothered to get off her bum in the back room to serve us
To finally getting a cup of coffee and tea and a pack of 2 biscuits for a rip off 7 quid is an experience I will not do again
The tea resembled dish water and didn’t taste much better the coffee was disgusting and when I asked for a spoon I was pointed to a tray which had none in when I asked for another I was tutted at for disturbing mobile girl sugar was another issue and when I asked for some was given the icy glare yet again
We went out to the balcony and the tables were a disgrace every table was littered with other diners rubbish
We chose one less littered and after a few minutes decided to clean up the debris ourselves
This place could be a goldmine for any body who has the heart to run it correctly
In the future I will be packing sandwiches and drinks until someone takes over the tearoom and runs it like it should be
Over all the place is a pigsty and the staff are inattentive if I could Give no marks I would