“My new favourite ”

Ranked #13 of 179 Restaurants in Bangor
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Been here several times in the last few weeks since December with my partner and also friends. I had the steak twice (could perfectly) and also on one occasion scampi each and every visit has been great and also the service very friendly. My new favourite place for lunch and dinner

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Visit this establishment very often, mainly because it's very good value for money. Staff are always happy to help. Good atmosphere. There's a carpark to the rear, albeit not free, but cheap, managed by the council.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

Visited this establishment with my mother & my son 27/02/2018.
Ordered 3 drinks & read through the menu. When reading the menu I noticed a chicken dish was made with peanut. We placed our order, 2 frys including a kids sausage meal deal (drink included).

I then mentioned that my son had a nut allergy & Id seen nuts in with a chicken dish, the server replied "that wont be anywhere near the kids stuff" to which I replied "Ok that's good! Was just for cross contamination purposes" to which the servers ears picked up. He then proceeded to ask me "Is the allergy bad?" (this is the stupidest question I get)** I replied "yes" to which i was THEN told "there are nuts in every corner of the kitchen".

(From nuts wont be near the kids food to nuts all over the kitchen in 2 mins, wow)

Of course I said it doesn't matter & to cancel it to which he replied "Ok i'll take that off" I then had to correct him and say cancel the entire food order.

By now we have a 5 year old asking why we aren't getting any lunch & questioning if its due to his allergy and his fault.
The server charged us FULL price for all drinks, which were gulped down within 2 out of the 5 minutes we were there to make time to go to a different restaurant.

** There is NO such thing as a "bad nut allergy". If you have a nut allergy you can have a mild reaction or an anaphylactic reaction - you CAN NOT base your next reaction on previous ones as there is NO WAY of telling what reaction you will take.

For the server to assume that we would then go on to have the 2 meals after basically describing the kitchen as being decorated with nuts is an inexcusable poor lack of understanding.

Furthermore, on the menu there is several mentions of gluten free & adapting the menu accordingly - adapting for a food intolerance but pushing out the customers with food allergies.

It also makes me question if I had of replied "no" to the question of "is it a bad allergy?" would he have just stuck to his original story of "the kids food wont be anywhere near that" ??

Nut allergies can KILL.

PAPA JOES PLEASE PUT A NOTE ON YOUR MENU IN REGARDS TO ALLERGIES!

Side note: We ended up going to Cafe Cod were we were served by a lovely young man, the food was absolutely delicious & very good value for money.

4  Thank Kirsty L
Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

I have visited a few times before and it was usually good. Visited with a partner and had told him how great the food is. The previous day I had purchased £60 worth of vouchers for family members. There was a set menu which featured garlic bread as a starter. As I normally purchase the delicious cheesy garlic bread, I assumed it would be no problem to add a bit of cheese to the bread. When i requested this, the waitress simply stated 'no'. I said i was willing to pay the extra and was told "no substitutions". I was disgusted that i would be spending almost £90 and i couldn't pay to have a bit of cheese on my bread! Disgusting. Will not be back.

4  Thank GusHobso
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

This is the first time I have eaten in this establishment and unfortunately it will be the last.
Don’t get me wrong the staff were very pleasant but we were booked for 7 for 7.30 there was over 20 of us either they couldn’t cope with the numbers I don’t know but getting onto the food. The starters arrived about 8.15 I would of expected those out pretty sharp as all the food was preordered when the main meal arrived it was so late we were that hungry it was not enjoyable it was lukewarm, the sweet was about the only pleasant bit of the evening and that amount of people in a small room the place was like a hot house.
Sorry but that was my experience