“Lunch & Breakfast”

Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Aberdovey
Price range: US$3 - US$26
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Went here twice - once for lunch on Saturday, and then again on Sunday AM for breakfast.

Both times were good but particularly with the breakfast I thought it was a bit expensive. Eggs royale for £8(ish) and only one egg & one muffin.

Apart from that it was decent.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Only had coffe here, but it was good & not expensive like those chains...
The food sounded apetising
Dog friendly.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I and my husband had a table for dinner. As we were first in we had two waitresses attend us. One was very nice and the other was surly to the point of rudeness. We barely had chance to pick up the menu when the surly one came over to take our order. When we said we weren't ready she huffed and asked about drinks. When we were undecided about which wine to choose she huffed even more. We chose a bottle of wine which she plonked on the table without speaking or pouring a drop.

We both ordered the same meal, scallops followed by Welsh lamb in an apricot, white bean and bacon cassoulet. The scallops came with "crispy air dried ham". Sounded lovely but to say I had 3 postage stamp sized pieces of ham would be an exaggeration. On my plate the scallops varied in size considerably. The smaller ones were just about adequately cooked but the larger ones were undercooked and gelatinous in consistency. All my husband's scallops were undercooked. None of them had the nice crusty outside you usually get. I thought it was impossible to undercook scallops but this place managed it and at £9 a plate. We didn't complain at that point because we were hopeful that the main course would be better.

How wrong could we be? The lamb appeared in a bowl on top of the beans etc. swimming in a thin watery fluid which half filled the bowl. Every cassoulet I have ever eaten has been thick and savoury not thin and watery. It was disgusting and you would have needed a spoon to eat it.

I couldn't cut the lamb with my knife. My husband pulled his apart and it was raw and inedible. By the time I was offered a steak knife I had managed to pull a bit away and was trying to chew it. I declined the steak knife and we both complained that we couldn't eat the meat, and the "cassoulet" was horrible. The waitress said it was a "sort of stew". She took both our meals away and suggested we chose something else from the menu. As we had no confidence in choosing an alternative we offered to pay for what we had eaten and would leave.

As we waited for the bill the chef (owner?) came out to see us. He asked what the problem was. We explained our complaint about the lamb and the cassoulet but at no point did he apologise. My husband then mentioned the undercooked scallops, and his response was that we should have sent them back to the kitchen. As if sending the lamb back wasn't enough! He huffed and puffed and became argumentative, and his whole attitude was one of "what would you know about food??" Well I know that scallops are difficult to cook right (but a good chef has the skill to do it), that properly cooked lamb should be a little pink and soft (not requiring a steak knife) and cassoulet should be thick, rich, and tasty not as thin as dishwater.

He didn't take our criticism kindly and proceeded to throw us out. He stood up and opened the door for us to leave, at the same time pulling my husband's chair from under him. I again offered to pay for the wine and scallops but he just told us to go.

Needless to say this was a horrendous experience and definitely the worst we have ever had in a restaurant.

2  Thank Belvedere25
Phil T, Owner at Coast Deli & Dining, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi Belvedere25,
I’m so pleased to have the opportunity to respond to your visit, although I must confess my surprise that the review is from you and not your rude, objectionable husband who clearly has no idea how to behave in public.
Seldom, do I insist that a customer vacates my business (particularly without paying! As believe me, few small businesses are in a financial position to do this), but I have a duty of care to my employees to ensure that they are not subjected to the demeaning behaviour that your husband obviously revels in. This is the only reason I (yes, I am the owner) came to address the situation in an open and friendly way.
I won’t address your issues with your meal, other than to direct readers to other reviews on this page of the very same dishes. However, I must advise that scallops are free range creatures and, unlike Marks & Spencer shoes, do not all come in a uniform size!
I totally accept that we may not be to everyone’s taste, however, we do not tolerate behaviour such as yours, believing that any shortcomings can and should be resolved in a civilised and amicable way.
Your behaviour was unsettling my other guests and my staff. I had no option than to assist you to the exit, and, believe me, I the interests of my guests and valuable employees, would not hesitate to do it again should people behave in a similar manner in future.
I sincerely hope that you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

We had a first class dinner at the Coast Deli. Starters of Mussels and calamari were great and the seafood linguini and penne Arabiata were also delicious. Bonus is that it’s dog friendly. Well done Coast.

Reviewed 8 September 2018

Small, but very atmospheric restaurant with delightul friendly staff. Delicious food, good wine at resonable cost. Would highly recommend and would have gone the next night if we had been able to get in.