“A lovely place to stay in Midhurst.”

The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Midhurst
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Our stay at the Spread Eagle Hotel was excellent. The hotel is welcoming and cosy and the swimming pool is fab. The staff make this hotel - the friendliest that I have encountered for a very long time. Nothing was too much trouble and everybody had a smile. The food was excellent - we had a fantastic dinner on our last evening and the service was impeccable.

The reason I haven't given this hotel a 5 rating is simply down to my slight disappointment with our room. Whilst the room was clean, comfortable and cosy, I didn't feel it warranted the rate that I had paid. I was disappointed not to have some comfortable (soft)seating in the room - as had been clearly depicted in all of the images of superior rooms on the hotel website. Additionally, our shower was not the best.

However, we still thoroughly enjoyed our visit to The Spread Eagle and will definitely return. Next time, I will make sure I ensure that I am clear about which room I will be staying in!

5  Thank Maria F

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We recently returned from a weekend break at the Spread Eagle. I booked it on the strength of the trip advisor reviews and it's website and I wasn't disappointed. Everything from the booking process through to our comfortable room, the spa, cosy bar and delicious meals was perfect!

The hotel itself is an old coaching inn set in an area of outstanding beauty in an old West Sussex town.

We stayed in the White Room, which is a large, panelled room with a 350 year old four poster bed and big stone fireplace adding further character to the room. It might have been old and decadent but the bed was also very comfortable as was the whole room, complete with old-fashioned armchairs perfect for reading a book or enjoying a glass of champagne. We had a nespresso machine and were given complimentary hand baked biscuits. The bathroom in contrast was totally modern with a large walk in shower and a roll-top bath.

The hotel itself oozed historic charm, particularly in the bar which resembled something out of a magical film set with its crooked wooden beams, fires and decorative pudding pans! It was such a cosy, intimate space, especially as the fires were lit in the evening. Again it might be old dating from the 1400s but service is totally moderns as it stocks an impressive bar with over 70 gins! I loved it, as you can tell!

The food was excellent - throughout our stay we had roasted tomato soup, scallops and venison steak. We had pear crumble for desert and all these meals were delicious. The service was relaxed at times but we were there to relax and soak up the atmosphere not cantor through our meals!

The spa isn't huge but again 100% modern and they've made the most of the space they've got. We both had massages and the masseuses were excellent and very relaxing I loved their post-massage concept in the nest room!

The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

In conclusion, we had a perfect weekend away. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to someone looking for a sumptuous break and I hope we return soon.

7  Thank Rachel7890

ambience
care of customers
attitude very positive
discreet waiting of tables

Room Tip: didnt stay overnight but had excelent food
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank richard w
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We stayed in January 2017 for my husbands birthday taking advantage of a special offer including a spa treatment. We have stayed once before and once again found it relaxing and enjoyable. The staff are very professional and food very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a quiet and relaxing break - its a real treat.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank cathy_higbee
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We booked this mid week overnight spa break with three course dinner for my fiancés birthday and we were not disappointed! The hotel and spa are beautiful and the food was amazing! We intend to return as soon as possible.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Kevin K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midhurst
3.7 km away
19.9 km away
Crouchers Hotel
Crouchers Hotel
#2 of 8 in Chichester

Been to The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!