The Angel Inn(Midhurst)
The Swan Inn(Midhurst)
  • Breakfast included
Dunford House(Midhurst)
1,009 results
All reviewshistoric hotelwhite roomlounge barfour poster bedsteam room and saunatreatment roomsjacobean hallrelaxing breakgarden roomlovely hotelsister hotelcourse dinnercowdray parkcouple of nightsbirthday treatcooked breakfastsouth downs
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We recently returned from a weekend break at the Spread Eagle. I booked it on the strength of the trip advisor reviews and it's website and I wasn't disappointed. Everything from the booking process through to our comfortable room, the spa, cosy bar and delicious meals was perfect!

The hotel itself is an old coaching inn set in an area of outstanding beauty in an old West Sussex town.

We stayed in the White Room, which is a large, panelled room with a 350 year old four poster bed and big stone fireplace adding further character to the room. It might have been old and decadent but the bed was also very comfortable as was the whole room, complete with old-fashioned armchairs perfect for reading a book or enjoying a glass of champagne. We had a nespresso machine and were given complimentary hand baked biscuits. The bathroom in contrast was totally modern with a large walk in shower and a roll-top bath.

The hotel itself oozed historic charm, particularly in the bar which resembled something out of a magical film set with its crooked wooden beams, fires and decorative pudding pans! It was such a cosy, intimate space, especially as the fires were lit in the evening. Again it might be old dating from the 1400s but service is totally moderns as it stocks an impressive bar with over 70 gins! I loved it, as you can tell!

The food was excellent - throughout our stay we had roasted tomato soup, scallops and venison steak. We had pear crumble for desert and all these meals were delicious. The service was relaxed at times but we were there to relax and soak up the atmosphere not cantor through our meals!

The spa isn't huge but again 100% modern and they've made the most of the space they've got. We both had massages and the masseuses were excellent and very relaxing I loved their post-massage concept in the nest room!

The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

In conclusion, we had a perfect weekend away. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel to someone looking for a sumptuous break and I hope we return soon.

7  Thank Rachel7890

ambience
care of customers
attitude very positive
discreet waiting of tables

Room Tip: didnt stay overnight but had excelent food
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank richard w
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We stayed in January 2017 for my husbands birthday taking advantage of a special offer including a spa treatment. We have stayed once before and once again found it relaxing and enjoyable. The staff are very professional and food very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a quiet and relaxing break - its a real treat.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank cathy_higbee
Reviewed 8 September 2017

We booked this mid week overnight spa break with three course dinner for my fiancés birthday and we were not disappointed! The hotel and spa are beautiful and the food was amazing! We intend to return as soon as possible.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely old hotel, full of character. Booked last minute so stayed in a superior room-four poster, wood panelling the works. Very nicely furnished and decorated. Bathroom also very nicely done, only minus points in the room - no stand up shower (appreciate its a free-standing bath but could still be done), no minibar and not enough free water.

Room maybe a bit expensive overall ?

Spa and gym are small but the indoor pool is pretty good. Other public areas nice especially the bar.

What really let them down is the food. In 2017 they really should be doing better and there are many pubs in the area with much better food on offer. The restaurant's a bit of a dull space as well. Breakfast was ok but dinner was really poor - no better than an average pub and as I said there are many great pubs around doing much better food. The clientele reflect the offering - you will find a better crowd and better atmosphere and much better food in say the Horse Guards at Tillington and many other places I am sure. Have dinner and lunch somewhere else until they raise their game.

1  Thank Chris J
J-J_Pollak_GM, General Manager at The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Dear Chris J,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found the hotel be lovely and full of character and enjoyed The Spa and and liked the public areas, including the bar.

You booked a Deluxe Four-Poster room in the 1650 part of the building, which I am glad you liked. The current bathroom is very nice as you mention, but is due to be refurbished later this year and will include a walk-in rain shower and a separate roll-top bath, which will make it even nicer. We do not include mini-bars in our bedrooms as we feel it is of a much higher quality and service to bring a drink of your choice to your bedroom from our bar, rather than you making an inferior drink yourself using small in-room bottles and a restricted choice. We will also bring up fresh milk upon immediate request, as the sign on the hospitality tray states. We provide two 500ml bottles of South Down's Water in each bedroom, which is a larger size than most hotels provide. If you wish for more, we will of course provide it. I am aware you requested at least twice for extra water and this was gladly provided at no extra cost to yourself.

Our rooms are priced competitively and as you stayed on a Saturday night, this is a higher rate than any other night of the week and you took the very last bedroom we had available.

Our Restaurant is in the 1650 part of the coaching inn and reflects this style of the building in its design with its fantastic inglenook fireplace and large oak beams, I am sorry this was not to your taste.

I am glad your breakfast was fine and I am sorry that the food at dinner was again not to your taste. It is a great shame, that although you were asked in both the Restaurant and at Reception on check out, you did not make any of this known as we could have had the opportunity to address your dissatisfaction. I feel your comment about the food is unfair and not at all representative of our offering. We use the highest quality, locally sourced ingredients from Sussex on our menu. We cook our produce to the highest standard and create interesting and flavoursome dishes which the vast majority of our guests and customers love and rave about. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I also do not understand to why you had lunch with us on your day of departure, if you found your dinner to be poor the night before?

We have a real mix of clientele of all ages and style and the House had a great atmosphere during your stay with a large contingent of American guests staying, who loved the hotel and created a great atmosphere... far better than a pub.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall, but sorry that you felt that a few points let it down. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and make your experience 100% perfect (including the food).

With best wishes,