“Try anything once - but sadly, never again...”

Pontins Southport Holiday Park
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Juat arrived home after two nights (2-4 March 2012)
Arrived to a tired looking reception staff member who asked if I had been before...When I replied no she ran very quickly through the fact I had to pay £30 (some you got back) for sheets and £5 for electricity..my fault maybe that I didnt know this but never remember it being on line, advising me this is what I had to do??
Then ahe told me to have a nice stay!! Shell shocked, I stood there for a minutes and then went back to speak to another memeber of staff...She was lovely, took pitty on me and my daughter and gave us some sheets for free!

Apartment was clean, no problems there but the whole place seems shabby, run down and unkempt...bit of a joke really when you consider how much money this place must make...cost me near enough a small holiday to Spain over the two days as prices are extortionate in the shops, and the one shabby 'restaurant' and fish and chip bar.

Had prepaid for three vouchers for the activities, some of which she was too small to use and some were simply closed..but dispite it all she enjoyed her stay and so thats all that counts to me...but never again will I visit this place - should be value for money, but I'm affraid it's not!

Room Tip: Don't book the popular rooms, pay the little bit extra for the better rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Pontins Southport Holiday Park

Reviewed 4 March 2012

The accommodation was basic and dated but clean, the problem with the apartment was that we had to put in £5 electricity a day, and that was using the absolute minimum. We enjoyed the free crazy golf and (slightly worn-looking) swimming pool. The closest the whole of Pontins gets to selling a cappucino is an instant coffee in a polystyrene cup from the bar- OK in 1975 but I dont think Pontins has moved on a tiny bit since then.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

After reading the reviews on here I was expecting the worst but it isn't as bad as most people are making it out to be. In fact, going there with a negative preconception meant I was surprised at most things!
Upon arrival you're greeted by hundreds of tired worn buildings all exactly the same in a huge circle. Just like back in the 60s! I felt like I was in some sort of cult! We arrived quite late so parked up and headed in to the main building to find our group and get some food.
The food is self serve (you're given a wristband) but it's horrible. I wouldn't feed it to the dog and regretted going half board. If you like mechanically reclaimed chicken nuggets and pork chops comprising of 70% fat you'll love it! Breakfast the next morning was better and they had a good variety of traditional breakfast food available. Bizarrely the only free drinks to wash everything down was a quarter pint of orange juice! But the drinks prices were quite cheap and they show football on the big screen at the weekends in the pub ate.
There is plenty of entertainment for children in the main hall and the Blue coats put a lot of efforts in to getting the kids involved. For adults the evening is purely to get drunk some were downing cheap wine even with babies to look after! There are children running around everywhere but parents don't mind as there is security and there's 2 rooms where their children could be playing in as it's all connected.
The apartment is small (the beds are tiny) but it was adequately furnished and tidy. There was a bag of clean bed sheets but you have to bring your own towels! One thing that astonished me was that you have to pay for the electric which I find ridiculous and £5 doesn't last half a day either so look out for these hidden costs! I wouldn't advise drinking the tap water though but if you need anything there's a shop to buy supplies and souvenirs.
During the day there is nothing to do for adults without children. In fact there's nothing much to do for those with children besides go to the arcade (pontins biggest money spinner) and the extremely stuffy pool room that's quite dirty! There was a mini golf course that is in dire need of replacement, a climbing wall which was unmanned by staff all day and a go kart track which was very small and you had to pay extra for. You can always go for a stroll along the beach which is just round the corner or to the pleasureland or to the waterpark a mile or so towards the town centre.
In conclusion, you get what you pay for. We were looking for a cheap weekend and the children in our group loved the entertainment. For this, pontins was adequate and basic enough.
You can tell that this was some families one chance to have a holiday and this is who pontins really appeals to.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 28 February 2012

just returned from pontins southport after spending a week there during feb half term. We stayed in a club chalet which we found was a comfortable stay, My family and the children thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment at pontins, especially an act called the mad hatters! Although we where self catering we ate out in their restaurant often, The prices where very reasonable. There was plenty of choice and breakfast was lovely too. The restaurant Manager Carl was very welcoming and made me and my family very welcome their. I would recommend Pontins Southport to any family looking for a great time with great People and entertainment.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

just got back from a weekend at pontins southport ,the good and the bad check-in the staff are great very helpful but there is always a que which takes for ever ,the chalet we had a standard 1 bed chalet all you need to sleep and have a coffe we went for the buffet breakfast 3-99 fantastic value cereals,toast and a complete english to choose from with as much fresk orange tea or coffee that you could want.Yes it is a bit tired but in the process of being refurbished but for what you pay great value .

Room Tip: very cold in feb and sadly the electric is very expensive get near to the clubhouse