“A relaxing break”

Symphony Ocean View Hotel
Ranked #49 of 52 Ilfracombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2017

After reading other reviews on Trip Advisor about this hotel I almost cancelled. Thank goodness we didn't. We arrived at 2pm to check in and were met by Andre who showed us straight to our room. The room was small but clean and tidy and I saw no evidence of mould. Our taps dripped and we had no view but apart from that it was perfectly adequate. The shower was lovely, powerful and hot. We went down for dinner again expecting rude staff and awful food. The young waiter and waitress were lovely. My partner had 4 huge beautifully cooked lamb chops and I had the chicken symphony, I couldn't fault either of them. Breakfast in the morning was fine and served quickly. We ate dinner there again on the following evening, again a lovely meal. We then sat at the bar chatting to Andre who seemed a really nice guy. We paid £89.00 for 2 nights for 2 of of us with a £10.00 each reduction on our food bill each night and breakfast. You also have to bear in mind that Groupon take quite a large % of that too. No it's not the Ritz but we weren't paying for the Ritz. It was an really lovely break in a beautifully appointed hotel (right on the sea front). The hotel is a bit tired but clean. As for parking, well we found some free on road parking about a 5 min walk from the hotel. Perfect weekend

Room Tip: Room 6 was our room, small and a view of the roof and the bedrooms of other rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed on a five night half-board Group On deal and really enjoyed our stay.

Highlights:

Eat drink & Be Merry / Restaurant & Lobby:
What a wonderful place to relax on a cold evening! Enjoying a bevvie by the roaring open fire is a true delight! The staff were very welcoming and helpful and the guests were happy and relaxed. And if you get the chance to meet Bowser the dog - the heart and soul of Symphony Ocean View - you're in for a treat.

Restaurant:
We adored the evening meals. The value for money is tremendous - yes if you're on a Groupon deal, then you will have to top it up by a few quid on food, plus drinks, but it's worth every penny. Anyone who complains about that has short arms and deep pockets. We'd originally planned to go for an Indian or an Italian one evening during our stay, but once we realised how delicious the food was in-house we ditched that plan.

Our absolute favourites from the menu were:
Lasagne, lamb chops, rib-eye steak, mushroom strogonoff & the herbal chicken pasta

Location, location, location:
The location of the hotel could not be better. It's right on the bay with beautiful views. And there is a nice pub a stone's throw away.

Room for improvement:
At times Geoff was very blunt, but it just seemed to be his way and nothing personal. At other times he was cheerful and charming.

Changing rooms:
Having to change rooms after the first night could have been a lot smoother if it was initially explained that we just needed to pack our stuff and the bags would be moved for us.

Wifi password:
It would be a nice touch for this to be displayed somewhere in the rooms, or passed to guests in writing upon arrival.

Key security:
The system of room keys just being left on the bar (often unattended) did not feel secure at all.

Breakfast:
Served 9am - 10am but sufficient clean cups and glasses were often in scant supply by 9.30am and the coffee also often ran out.

Room facilities:
The second room we moved to had no toilet roll and no soap or handsoap. It also had a tap that constantly dripped and ran for four days - we were told that they were aware of it and that it would be sorted, but it wasn't. Both rooms had dirty cups and spoons upon arrival. During our stay of four nights in the second room, the bin was not emptied and the tea facilities were not cleaned or replenished. The bedding was also left as it was.

On the first night we stayed in an ocean view room, which had a lovely view, but the room seemed tired. Decorative vases in the room were chipped and the bathroom was extremely dark (no natural light, black wallpaper and insufficient lighting). The shower was scalding hot on the lowest setting.

It should be noted that the rooms are being refurbished one by one and that the hotel is extremely good value for money.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Without a doubt the worst place in the WHOLE world. No joke. I bought this weekend away as a birthday present for my daughter in law. Upon arrival it is nothing like the description. That is a pack of LIES. I had my daughter in law in floods of tears. Wanting to go home IMMEDIATELY. The room was FILTHY. The bathroom the most FILTHIEST part of the room. The best part is yet to come. When I rung to speak to the manager I got to speak to him alright. The man told me the charming words " I don't give a **** what you think. So what if the room is filthy? So what if the bath isn't clean? Are we a five star hotel? No we aren't. Let them check out. I don't give a ****. Write what you like. I don't give a **** " What a pleasant affable chap. My daughter in law is now traumatised for her birthday. What a vile man and a vile hotel.For the * they were rude swear words. Such a rude man.

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!! A stay under a hedge would be preferable.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cazza1727
Reviewed 12 October 2017

We were very happy with our room which has been refurbish the view was great and balcony, we found the staff very nice and the owner Adrea was happy to help with anything, the food was superb enjoyed every meal great choice breakfast fine plenty of toast tea and coffee, speaking with the owner who has not had the hotel long is making great improvements and all the 10 bob millionaires I call them who moan, at anything well done Adrea we will come back. Tina Den. who stayed last week in sept.

Room Tip: All the front rooms are good
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Ilfracombe is lovely and weather great but this hotel needs much improvement. I'm not fussy or my wife but room was awful and I upgraded!
Sea view was nice but bathroom needed condenming... filthy and bath nasty.not worth the extra £15 a night.
Food disappointing and only get £10 towards it even tho nearly everything is over a tenner.
I'm not saying completely avoid this place as deal wasn't horrendous with Groupon, but service food and room need improvements desperately.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple