Came here on a Groupon deal (£79 for 2 nights), so I suppose I can’t really complain too much for the price. However, I am reviewing for the purposes of prospective guests who may be paying full whack! Firstly, there seems to be a little confusion as to their star rating; their letterheads and breakfast menus indicate a 3 star, but the sign on the outside says 2 star – strange? We were given a room on the 2nd floor (quite a trek from the small lift) with a view of the side road. The room smelt a little odd on entering each time, a sickly disinfectanty sort of odour, but you became accustomed to it after a while; maybe it smelt because the cleaning cupboard was situated in that room! Carpets were grubby and stained. No shower, only a bath (with a fag burn on it), although plenty of hot water and the bath ran quickly. The decor was rather tired and what I found funny in our room was that everything seemed to be hung on the wonk; pictures, plugs, beverage holder, the lot! Obviously this isn’t too much of an issue, but just indicates a lack of care. Sheets were clean, but had holes in. No complimentary toiletries (apart from a small wrapped soap) and a just couple of plastic glasses provided in the bathroom. Plenty of clean towels though and a hairdryer. Whilst the tea tray was ‘complimentary’, you had to purchase replenishments from Reception (tho to be fair, there was plenty enough provided for our stay). When we arrived on 27 Oct, the xmas decs were just going up and carols were on the speaker system, ready for their ‘turkey & tinsel’ coach break. Breakfast the first morning was a bit of a shambles, as there were about 70 elderly clientele wanting a full English before their coach arrived. We didn’t know where we were meant to sit and were ignored by the waitresses although it was obvious we were new and looking. Had to go to reception to get someone to sort. (They really need to get extra staff in on busy days like this). Then went to help ourselves to cereal as instructed, only to find the milk had run out. Another trip to reception was required to sort it. Breakfast itself wasn’t too bad, I’ve had worse – cereal, juice (you had to ask for it), and the usual full English and toast available, tho chef apparently couldn’t do a boiled egg that I asked for! Entertainment was provided during the evening, but we didn’t partake and when we came in on the evening to find the DJ playing ‘My Old Man’s a Dustman’, we didn’t feel we had missed out! A selection of newspapers to purchase were provided daily. Free wi-fi in lounge area. No parking outside (only unloading); they had a small (5/6 bay) car park across the road and down the hill, but there was no room on the second evening, so we ended up on a meter a couple of hundred yards along the road, where we paid up to 6pm (as it was then free until 10am the next morning). It was OK, but would I come here again? Probably not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at Devon Bay Hotel. Its Stately Victorian exterior fully compliments the stylish and characteristic interior, blending old and new styles to create a unique and exciting environment. Our large and airy restaurant looks out to the front of the hotel, serving freshly prepared breakfast and dinner every day. We also have a large bar and comfortable lounge areas, which are great to sit and enjoy a drink and relax. The Devon Bay Hotel is ideally located in the bustling centre of Ilfracombe, minutes from the cliff tops and beautiful sandy beach, meaning guests have everything they need within walking distance. Our aim at Devon Bay Hotel is to ensure that your stay with us is pleasurable. You will always receive a friendly warm welcome, whether you are visiting us for lunch or dinner, a function or an overnight stay. Whether business or pleasure, why not make the Devon Bay Hotel first on your list of new venues to visit - we look forward to welcoming you. Step outside and you are on the Promenade with its many shops, cafes, and the Landmark Theatre complex. Open all year around, we offer Christmas and New Year Packages and our nightly entertainment ensures that your visit to the Devon Bay Hotel will be enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Devon Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grosvenor Hotel Ilfracombe
- Devon Bay Hotel Ilfracombe