“Standards Maintained”

Cargill's Restaurant & Bistro
Ranked #3 of 41 Restaurants in Blairgowrie
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Cargills is a family run bistro sitting near the riverside in Blairgowrie. Serving coffees, home baking, snacks, meals and blackboard specials. Everything here is cooked to the highest standards using many fresh local products, offering good food and friendly service. Outdoor patio seating. Free car parking. Disabled access. Coffee's and snacks to go should you wish to enjoy the riverside seating. Takeaway and Outside catering also available.
Reviewed 11 May 2018

We've lived in Perthshire for 32 years. When we came in 1986 Cargill's, pleasantly situated by the River Ericht, was somewhere people would go because they would be guaranteed quality and value. Over the years we've been a fair number of times but not for a while. It was good, therefore, to find that standards are as high, and the menu as full and varied, as ever. The restaurant has always sought to showcase local produce which is abundant from the right suppliers. This goes into the vast menu and you'll find items like pigeon and guinea fowl among a wide range of fish dishes and indeed different cuisines. When we went for lunch my wife chose a Nasi Goreng (spiced to taste, in this case moderate) with lovely big prawns and bits of chicken, while I had a tasty and filling Cullen Skink. The interior decor is quirky and attractive and the service pleasant and unobtrusively professional. If I have one quibble it was with the bread that came with the Skink. It was a roll which would come in a heat-yourself pack. I felt that the dish, and the restaurant, deserved better. In fairness when I pointed this out I was told that this is a sacrifice in the face of such a wide-ranging menu but I'd advise sourcing something sexier.

1  Thank Jim F

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Me and my wife visited this lovely restaurant on the first night of our motorhome tour of Scotland. And we were more than happy that we did! Lovely fresh local food, excellently prepared, and at a reasonable price.

I started off with the chicken liver pate, which was sublime, soft and smooth, with a beautiful taste. Combined with an excellent chutney and Scottish oatcakes it was one of the best starters I had had in years. Eye-rolling stuff, simple yet totally delicious.

Then it was haggis, tatties and neeps in a subtle whisky gravy. Again, top notch and well presented, just what the doctor ordered. No room for dessert mind, you don't need it. My wife had the cod special, it had a beautiful taste and the fish was of high quality.

They also served guest beers, and with two of these for me and my wife having a glass of wine (she had the haggis as a starter) the whole bill ended up at just over £50. A proper bargain as us southerners would say.

I highly recommend this place, it was truly a fantastic way to start our holiday. Give it a go!

1  Thank MisterC001
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Yet again a great meal on our annual trip to the Highlands. My wife chose a pigeon dish from the specials menu and was delighted with it. I plumped for the homemade burger.
For dessert I chose the cranachan from the specials board, whilst my wide enjoyed a sticky toffee pudding.
Good service.

1  Thank _duncanjmmorris
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Loved our latest visit to Cargills. We haven't been for a while but so glad we returned. The service was warm, friendly and unobtrusive.

Our meal was delicious from beginning to end, I had Salmon Tian followed by Goats Cheese Spaghettini. I have not enjoyed a pasta dish so much since my last visit to Italy, many moons ago! My husband chose Flat Cap Mushroom followed by Rump Steak and Homemade Chips. He said it was cooked beautifully, perfectly complimented by the homemade chips.

The atmosphere was relaxed, comfortable and just such a lovely place to be. The decor is quirky and charming. The staff clearly enjoy what they do and their friendliness shines through.
Thank you again Cargills for a lovely evening, we won't leave it so long between visits!

1  Thank Grace F
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Only one decent comment and that was the salt and pepper prawns, all 6 of them were tasty. Everything else was poor!
Interior an eclectic but badly chosen mix of styles.
Lights so bright they were blinding.
Waitress who was probably in her first job and like a rabbit in headlights. Didn’t appear to know what to do, not her fault, she obviously needed much more support.
If a trained chef cooked and presented the food then I’m shocked! A lot of the food looked like it was pre frozen, chips, scampi etc. Anyone can cook,frozen food and chuck it on. a plate! Presentation dreadful!
Desserts looked more appealing although I didn’t have one.
The bill was delivered before we had asked for it!
Oh dear, maybe this was once a place worth visiting but it’s either trying to be something it can’t be or has deteriorated markedly since other people’s visits or some people are easily pleased.
Friday night and only 3 tables dining, kind of says it all!