“A place to feel welcomed”
Review of MerMer Restaurant

MerMer Restaurant
Price range: US$28 - US$61
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: MerMer, situated in the old fishing village of Kolga-Aabla on the Juminda peninsula, serves delicious food made with local ingredients accompanied by some excellent French and Italian wines. In summer we seat diners in our summer house, while in winter you are seated in our cosy house itself. We are open all year round, but you should always reserve a table in advance, since numbers are restricted - because we want you to be the diners that Jaan, Merritt and Hummer (our American bulldog) greet! We can seat up to 25 diners in summer and 16 in winter.
Reviewed 28 July 2019 via mobile

Just visited this place with friends and absolutely love that: private, cozy, romantic, clean and with a great view. Food was based on local ingridients and very good + wine pairing was also quite OK. Spent a lot of time talking to owners who are open, polite and friendly family.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank kirillica
Write a reviewReviews (8)

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Our hosts made us very welcome in their quirky and comfortable home. The starters were phenomenal, the bread home -made, and the local delicacies served with pride and a flourish! We tasted, bear, elk and llingenberries, even the mash was glorified by the addition of pumpkin! The local beer made in the village was excellent. Don't miss this place!

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank katethepict
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We went there with our friend who invited us, and we were really surprised as she didn't tell us it was a "private restaurant", where we would be the only guests. My friend had booked a table there beforehand, I think you have to do that. We were a group of 6 persons, and we were served a 4 course dinner (2 appetizers). The whole experience was magnificent, with a great seaside view, art in the restaurant and friendly hosts. We had the opportunity to walk in the garden (since the restaurant was in the private garden of the owners) before the main dish was served, and enjoy the view. We were served fish (salmon, flounder, salmon) caught by the neighbour, and white wine. For dessert a delicious chocolate cake was served.

I'd say it was my most special restaurant visit, and one I will remember for a long time. I will really recommend this restaurant. You can probably get food as good as this other places, but you wouldn't get the special experience with everything around, and the luxury of being the only guests of the restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank h_vardb175
Reviewed 26 December 2015

We had my dads jubilee in MerMer. My parents were first extemely stunned that we were the only guests at lunch. But even Estonian doesn't feel uncomfortable there. Hosts are really modest, attentive and cooked really nice 5-course meal. My family loves dogs so we appreciated the chance to pet their Hummer.
Food is seasonal, local an probably they will take into account special requests if you ask beforehand but mostly the dinner will be a pleasant surprise set by MerMer people : )
Considering the private feel, amount of delicious food and good reason to drive to beautiful settings of Lahemaa National Park- it is worth to book your visit beforehand and stop by.

Date of visit: February 2015
2  Thank Elisabeth K
Reviewed 7 September 2014

We went to Mer Mer as part of a trip. I knew it was called a home restaurant but had not appreciated we would be the only guests along with our guide. No menu was offered but food kept appearing. It was undoubtedly of high quality but for me it was a slight problem as I am on dialysis and am meant to have a low salt and phosphate diet. I can usually choose appropriately on menus but it seemed rude not to eat so I had to take small quantities if each dish.

We had fortunately not had much to eat that day as we seemed to have course after course. There was an appetiser of black bread topped with pickled cucumber and pickled herring and part of a duck egg. Then there were olives and chilli pesto with home made bread. (The bread was delicious). Then we had starters of carpaccio of veal with pomegranate and Parmesan shavings and Mozzarella and tomato salad with watermelon. I enjoyed the latter as the mozzarella was very light and the little bits of watermelon made it very refreshing.

The main was spiced salmon (though it seemed far too white for salmon) with tomatoes, courgette and chanterelles. It was followed by white chocolate cheesecake.

To be fair it all tasted fine but I would not have chosen most of the dishes. My advice would be only go if no dietary restrictions and you eat anything.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank joansmith_parrfold

Been to MerMer Restaurant? Share your experiences!