US$182
US$172
  • Breakfast included
Arrandale House & Apartments(Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$76
The Welbeck Hotel(Douglas)
US$152
US$107
  • Beachfront
All reviewspiano barthe penthouseburger barsea viewisle of mancentral promenadeexecutive roomkipperssingle roombuffet breakfastcoach partyreception staffsea frontlovely hotelcoach tripevening mealdouglas bay
Reviewed 15 April 2018

The food was brilliant, the restaurant in particular. The Piano Bar food was also very good, more pub-grub-like. The breakfast was alright. All of the people who work here are very friendly.
The only suggestion I have is to update the decor. Maybe it's nice for the older guest, but I can't imagine when it was last decorated.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for the third time this year as we have really enjoyed our last two visits. We had a lovely room, really spacious at the front of the hotel. A few things I would change, such as individual shampoo, conditioner and body wash. We had everything in the one bottle in a dispencer on the wall, not good. The hairdryer is in the bathroom so you can't sit at the dressing table to dry your hair and there was no iron or ironing board. Just little things that would have made my stay more enjoyable. The reason I am only giving three stars is because of one of the breakfast waiters. He was rude, He was charging around the dining area like a tazmanian devil, knocking me out of the way at one point and as we were leaving, he rushed past us Knocking two chairs flying. I am at present still at the hotel and I will mention it to the manager. It hasn't put me off staying again but I hope that when we do, some changes have been made.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Jo V
Reviewed 13 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights whilst travelling to the isle of man with work. I will start with the good points:

Entrance to the hotel, reception and bar area are very nice and modern. The hotel in general is exceptionally clean, including the rooms. The staff are friendly and polite, drink prices are reasonable in line with most places on the island, and the food is lovely. I particularly recommend the cajun chicken burger which is brilliant.

The negatives.....

The room I stayed in is near the lift and stairs, and as such very noisy. I did not get a good night's sleep due to noise, and there is also a sizeable gap under the doors which does not help keep the sound out.

The rooms like most on the island are dated and do not match the modern look of the hotel when you enter. There is also no iron or ironing board in the room, only an old.school trouser press screwed in to the wall. Also again a recurring issue on the island, the plug sockets are not set up for modern living as you can't charge your phone by your bed as the nearest socket is in the middle of the room.

Despite the staff being friendly and polite, the lad behind the bar must have ran half a marathon the night I was in he was that overworked. The poor lad was responsible for serving food in the front area, drinks at the bar and also delivering room service all at the same time. He was literally having to sprint to and from the bar and it felt a little uncomfortable for me seeing somebody worked that hard and it was clearly stressing him out, although to his credit he remained incredibly polite and courteous throughout, but the hotel should certainly revise the rotas to offer more support at peak times.

The atmosphere in the bar is almost none existant. If you are under the age of 60 you are unlikely to appreciate watching sky news on mute with subtitles, and listening to piano music , particularly when travelling alone.

Overall lovely food, nice clean hotel and friendly staff, but I have stayed in 2 or 3 nicer hotels on the island to date.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 12 April 2018

A well located hotel on the prom - cosy rooms and good food!

There are plenty of places to stay on the island but why pay £80 for a small and pokey B&B when you can stay cheaper at The Empress. It really is a no brainer!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank paul m
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Smallest bedroom I have ever stayed in - ever!!
Dangerous especially in the middle of night to navigate the obstructions to get to the loo.

Bathroom had more room in it...

Do not accept this room unless you are fit and capable.

The complete slack of sleep due to the (I presume) plumbing issues was quite ridiculous.

Laughably they put a chair and table in the room - you cannot pull the chair out to sit down!!

Breakfast - truly economy class. You always know when ingredients are cheap and this was truly bargain basement.

What a very disappointing and depressing visit.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple