All reviewspiano barthe penthouseburger barsea viewisle of manexecutive roomcentral promenadekipperssingle roombuffet stylecoach partyreception staffsea frontcoach tripevening mealbreakfast was excellentelectric railway
Reviewed 1 May 2017

Have stayed at The Empress for the past 4 years and have to say that the standard of service has declined. Despite our group booking booking for a week for a sporting event which necessitated early morning starts we were put in a room on the first floor directly over a very noisy disco on the Friday (beware of room 159). We were grudgingly moved. There was absolutely no leeway on early breakfast (there has been in the past) so we missed breakfast on 3 days. This is not a cheap hotel so we would have expected service to be of a better standard. Our group is already looking for possible alternatives for next year.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor from around 150 onwards on Friday and Saturday nights as directly above very noisy disco.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
HEHotels, Manager at The Empress Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2017

Dear PennyPIR
Unfortunately some people expect the hotel to open breakfast earlier on occasions than our 6.45am opening to suit your own plans. As we offer a continental breakfast before this time every day, I think your comments are very unfair as to cook a full English breakfast earlier involves a cost of 4+ staff coming in even earlier and turning ventilation fans on to wake other guests up before 6am which I think is unfair on them, just to please the minority in your group who want a cooked breakfast that early. I don't want to turn business away, but think a 6.45am start for breakfast is ample and maybe other hotels won't start any earlier either, and will leave the decision if you return up to you next year.

Reviewed 29 April 2017

We were on a five-day holiday excursion to Isle of Man, and the Empress Hotel was where we stayed. The Hotel is centrally located on the Promenade in Douglas and the perfect location for the Island. Accommodation, food and service are all first class, whether taking breakfast, or the excellent evening meal. The varied menu suits all tastes including vegetarian options, from starters through to desserts, The room we had did not have a sea view but was more than good enough in all other respects, being comfortable, clean and well equipped. Our only niggle was the shower - fiddly to keep the flow going.
Breakfasts from 6-45 and as wide a range of choice as any hotel I've stayed in anywhere in the world,so we could start the day well satisfied.
If you are going to the Isle of Man and want to stay in Douglas, then the Empress Hotel would be my recommendation.

Room Tip: You can specify a sea-view for an additional nightly fee, or a sea-view suite for a little more than that. The sea views are wonderful!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear davec17carter
Thanks for your 5 star review.
So glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel.
The sea view rooms are available for a small upgrade supplement and well worth the extra cost with larger rooms and Sky & BT channels in each room. I hope you can return again and try one of those rooms to enhance your stay further.

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

The room was very small and dated we were dissapointed with breakfast on arrival i informed the staff i have numerous allergies like nothing with preservatives or sulphites no dairy or friut only pure green tea i had to buyy own tea and had dried toast for my breakfast the catering staff were also aware of my allergies I

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2017

Just stayed in hotel for two nights with business, on arrival put in room at back of hotel next to noisy extractor fan, phoned down to ask for more to be told sorry full booked hotel and to bad the fan will go off around 9p.m. which it did, all in it was a poor room also next door to maids store room and early in morning maids talking and banging, plus breakfast OK lots of staff not very helpful including having to give up on waiting for poached eggs as they tool to long, summary hotel OK ish I will 100% not stay there when next over in business

Room Tip: Indian Curry house Taj Mahal just round corner EXCELLENT
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank flyer94

Dear flyer94
Thanks for your review but sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.
As the busiest hotel in Douglas, we do run at near capacity for much of the year, and unfortunately means that we are not able to move rooms on those occasions when guests want to move. The housekeeping office near your room opens at 8am when the staff arrive and am sorry if they made any noise that disturbed you. It sounds like you went down for breakfast too at a similar time to some of the groups staying and possibly why there was a wait for poached eggs and I am sorry for that as generally business guests are up earlier and miss the 'peak' period.
If you do stay again, you could try the sea facing executive rooms that are fully refurbished and quiet which are only a small upgrade extra.
Thanks for your feedback.
regards

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

Staying for one night while here for work.

Hotel is right on the front and I bet it could be a bit off if the weather was grim.

It's a beautiful art deco style but looking a bit tired round the edges. However, it is clean and tidy and welcoming .

Reception was very welcoming on arrival. Three places to eat in the hotel. Brasserie which was a bit above my expenses budget. A burger restaurant downstairs which looked tempting or the piano bar in reception .
Just had my meal in the bar. Fish and chips was reasonable. Fish was good but I am guessing the chips came from a frozen packet. Better chips would have made it. The cheeseboard I had for desert was superb.

If breakfast is good too then I would have to suggest this is not a bad place to stay.

A specific mention for the two guys behind the bar this evening. I think one is called Radi. Very friendly, very welcoming and nothing seems to be too much trouble.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business

Dear StuInSutton
Thanks for your review.
Our food variety allows for different budgets with the Manx Burger & Grill restaurant offering a main meal for around £11-12 and The Brasserie providing a 3 course meal for around £25-28 which I think is very good value for the high quality.
I'm glad you also found the bar staff to be helpful and am sure Radi will be pleased to be mentioned too.
Hope you are able to stay again and maybe you can try a newly refurbished front sea facing room next time if your budget allows as they are much larger and modern.