“Great Sunday Afternoon”

The Crab and Lobster Tap
Ranked #16 of 69 Restaurants in Ventnor
Description: Food available Monday - Wednesday 1pm - 9pm Fridays and Saturday 12pm - 9pm Sunday 12pm - 6pm The team of smiles Our pub is found just off the main street of ventnor. We are a tradtional, local pub. We serve 3 cask ales, often having a local ale on tap. We have a comprehensive stock of spirits and we are very proud of our whiskey collection. We serve traditional pub food which we are happy to serve in the main room of the pub or our very old quirky stable dining area. We are doggy and children frendly. Come and see us and say hello. But, don't get us mixed up with the crab and lobster at bembridge!
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We had a really fine boozy afternoon at the Crab and Lobster Tap, which is our new favourite pub in Ventnor. Great Sunday lunch, friendly people, busy but bubbly atmoshere, slightly tipsy landlord (who bought us a beer). Timmy Taylor's on draft. Perfect.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I have been here several times for roast lunch on a Sunday. You must book as this is extremely great value, a selection of meats and a vegetarian choice, sadly not nut roast but the burger was served with vegetarian gravy which is not always served. Choice of 4 vegetables, roast potatoes, a homemade yorkshire pudding and real gravy, at £5.50 no wonder they are so busy, delicious desserts only £3 each.
Staff are very friendly and efficient. The pub however does get very busy and somewhat noisy at times with children running around!
I would however highly recommend a visit, best value on the Island in my opinion. Well done to all staff and management, we will return!

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Booked Sunday lunch at the The Crab and Lobster Tap as recommended by a fishing buddy.

Great atmosphere in the pub, friendly service,great food and excellent value for money.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Hello"Mine Host".

I don't usually 'do' Reviews of Tripadvisor but I am afraid I have been driven to it this time.

You may remember us, we were the two OAPs that you THREW OUT of your establishment on Sunday 22nd at 1.40 PM for being "rude". My wife is a retired Infant-School Teacher of 76, I am a retired TV Film Editor of 69. We are hardly your typical 'Yobbos' really, are we?.

The story begins on the evening of Tuesday 17th of October. My wife and myself had just arrived in Ventnor having flown from Valencia that morning on a property-buying trip. We had been greatly enthused by the Tripadvisor reviews of Sunday Lunch at the Crab & Lobster so we went straight along there to book a table. I asked the Barman what would be the most convenient time and he said "Anytime really but we have a group of 15 arriving at 2 o'clock." We then booked in for 1 o'clock so as to not be under the Staff's feet when the big group arrived.

We visited the C & L most evenings from then on and were made very welcome by the friendly Barman and Barlady and the regulars. So far, so good.

Sunday dawned and we hastened to the C & L, looking forward to a great Sunday Lunch. Arriving about 1230 we sat at the Bar and ordered a glass of white wine and a pint of John Smith's. The Barman told us what table we had been allocated. At 1250 people were beginning to arrive so we moved to our table so as to allow others access to the Bar. We sat and sipped our drinks. And nothing happened. Nothing. No-one took a blind bit of notice of us. The Barlady was back and forth, bringing plates of food from the kitchen to various tables. We began to twitch a little at 1.10 after 20 minutes of nothing happening. At 1.20 nothing had happened either. At 1.30 the table next to ours was occupied. At 1.40 they were served their food. We had still not even been acknowledged after 40 minutes of waiting. The staff were busy so we were aware that we might have been missed-out somehow. I had to do something or we would still be sitting there. As the Barlady went by to bring more food from the Kitchen I raised my voice a little to attract her attention or she would not have heard me over the general hubbub. "Excuse me", I said, "but we were here before that table there and no-one has even acknowledged us and we have been sitting here for 40 minutes." Thje Barlady informed us that we should have ordered at the Bar. No-one had told us, so how were we to know that upon our first occasion of having lunch in the C & L? Anyway, she did her best and said she would take our order and began to do so. Then YOU sped by. Shouting. "We do not serve rude people!" at the top of your voice. "But", I said, "we were only trying to..." Off you went again: "I do not serve rude people! I don't HAVE to serve you! Please leave!" There didn't seem any point in continuing so I made my way to the Bar to pay for our drinks. My wife went outside. Back you came again: "You don't need to pay for the drinks, the drinks are on the house" again at the top of your voice. I said no, that we had had the drinks and would pay for them and did so. Upon leaving I found my wife outside in the street in tears.

Someone was indeed being "rude" here, I would ask you to consider who it was.

4  Thank jackdusty2017
Reviewed 25 October 2017

We were a party of 8: 2 families with children all aged ten or over. We'd seen some of the reviews and decided to give the place a go. We weren't disappointed. We were greeted when we arrived and shown to a nice table. Our drinks order was taken so we didn't even need to go to the bar and nothing was too much trouble. The food arrived in good time, the portions were generous and everyone was very happy with their choice. The local crab based dishes were particularly good. We'd definitely recommend for a relaxed and enjoyable evening out.