“Fabulous hotel, great event but...”

Culloden Estate & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holywood
Reviewed 23 October 2017

We booked a room in the Culloden as we were attending a black tie dinner on Saturday evening and expected the usual standard of 5* perfection from the Hotel. As per our other visits there was absolutely nothing to fault the Hotel facilities or the staff who are beyond friendly and helpful. Our room was fabulous and so comfortable with a bath you could nearly swim in! Dinner at the event was superb but, my breakfast was nothing short of disappointing. On previous visits we had both ordered our cooked breakfast from the A La Carte menu but, on this occasion, I decided to eat from the hot buffet. Big mistake!! Everything was well cooked but most of it was at room temperature except for the soda and potato bread which were just plain cold. My disappointment was added to when my fiancé received his "Belfast Eggs" and they were beautiful and really hot. I'm so sorry I didn't say anything to the staff at the time but, not wishing to create a fuss, I just ate it. I've knocked one star of my rating due to the disappointing breakfast but, as this is one of our favourite places, and where my fiancé "popped the question", it wont stop us staying again. Must do better Culloden not what is expected of a 5* breakfast!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
cullodenhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Dear Morrowmj,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Culloden Estate & Spa.

Firstly i'm delighted you have returned again and found the staff and facilities to be of a 5 star standard as you expect, i'm really pleased you liked your room and it was spacious and comfortable.

However i'm very disappointed to read you didn't feel the same about the buffet breakfast, I will relay your comments to the restaurant manager to address and ensure this is not a issue you will come across when you stay with us again.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Head Concierge

Write a ReviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed 18 October 2017

The room was excellent , with all facilities that a 5 star hotel should have. very comfortable sitting areas with real fires. At the function I was at the food was excellent. But the next morning the breakfast was a shambles. A bit more staff development is needed, especially when you employ young staff. Tea and toast ordered , after ten minutes ordered again. No butter on table or side plates to put toast on. Buffet food was cold despite the fact that we were down early. So disappointing in comparison to similar hotels.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Damien G,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of the Culloden Estate & Spa.

I'm delighted you found your room to be excellent and you enjoyed the relaxing lounge with open fires, I'm also really pleased you thought the food was excellent.

However i'm a little disappointed that breakfast didn't live up to your expectation and can only offer apologies for this, but i do really appreciate your feedback and I will ensure that this is relayed to the Restaurant manager for further improvement.

Thank you again and I would really like for you to return again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

This Hastings Group hotel is one of the best hotels that I've stayed in and it was wonderful to have three nights there. The grounds of the large property overlook the bay. The main building was once a bishop's palace and the large newer building with all the hotel rooms is on a lower level, blending well with and not imposing upon the original building which houses the reception, magnificent lounges and restaurants. This was the first five star hotel in Belfast. On one evening we had dinner in the Cultra restaurant in the hotel grounds and on another we had dinner in the main hotel restaurant. That was a special menu that was given to first class passengers on the White Star 'Titanic'. My room was most luxurious and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful..

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Betula103,

many thanks for taking the time to write your lovely review of the Culloden Estate & Spa, I'm very pleased you found everything to your liking and enjoyed the spectacular views across the Belfast lough.

I'm delighted you enjoyed the 'Titanic' menu its just something a little different.

We would love for you to return again in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

One of the most beautiful hotels I have ever been to. It isn't for the tight budget folks, this place is really expensive but worth every penny. We were there since a friend of ours is the coach for the Northern Ireland National team and this is where they stay while on duty. beautiful location and beautiful place, a must see

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sethmichaels2017,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely review of the Culloden Estate & Spa, I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to your liking it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

We would love for you to return again in the very near future.

kind regards

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I spent one night in the Culloden Hotel close to Belfast. I was too early to check in but had time for a swim. Sarah at reception took me down to the Spa where the team sorted me out with towels, etc & then after my swim took charge of my luggage whilst I popped into Belfast for work.

The pool is lovely with a jacuzzi & complimentary fruit & drinks.

I parked in the Culloden’s free car park & caught the train at Cultra into Belfast. The station is next door to the hotel & it takes about 15 mins to get into the city centre. So much easier than driving in Belfast & looking for parking in town.

Upon returning to the Culloden in the early evening I was delighted to discover that I’d been upgraded & was staying in the Jura junior suite for the night. My room was super comfortable & located in the atmospheric old part of the hotel. As it was a corner suite I had spectacular views over the beautiful autumn colours with Belfast Lough beyond from windows on two sides of the room. It was like looking at a painting.

My bathroom had a bath tub as well as a shower with plenty of gorgeous soap & luxury toiletries from the Hastings Group ESPA brand provided as well as loads of huge, fluffy towels & even a cute little duck.

Breakfast is served in the historic & cosy ground floor also overlooking the water. I had the vegetarian cooked breakfast which includes plenty of high quality locally sourced produce.

My entire stay start to finish was perfect & from a guest’s point of view flawless. The Culloden has a warm & welcoming but also experienced team who provide a friendly & professional vibe.

I highly recommend you choose the Culloden as your perfect base if you are in the Belfast area. I only wish I’d been staying longer - but I’ll be back & stay longer next time.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
cullodenhotel, Guest Relations Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear Mary M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review of the Culloden Estate & Spa.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your time with us and Sarah looked after you when you arrived and i'm sure you felt refreshed after your swim.

The Jura suite has a lovely view right across the Belfast lough and is very comfortable, so i'm pleased you liked it.

You have been very complimentary about the hotel and facilities and therefore we would like to say thank you and please do return again soon.

Head Concierge

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holywood
Rayanne House
Golden Mile
Europa Hotel - Belfast
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 47 in Belfast

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!