All reviews harbour room bay view dvd library home made cakes dog friendly beach afternoon tea coffee free cake each afternoon special dietary requirements gluten free breakfast on arrival lovely garden honesty bar goodrington sands breakfast room is brixham harbour drinks tray
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Stayed at Amber House for two nights with my parents who are elderly & my daughter who is very poorly and needs a lot of care. Debbie was an amazing host, very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed which made our trip enjoyable. Ralph the dog was happy too as he is a big part of our family and doesn't like being separated from us ~ thank you again Debbie & John.

Room Tip: Tall Ships & Harbour Room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
amber_house_paignton, Owner at Amber House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

It was a pleasure to look after you all at Amber House and that you all had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to welcoming you again next year. Best wishes Debbie and John

Reviewed 25 August 2017

My partner and I have just returned from a thoroughly enjoyable week at Amber House, staying in a Ground Floor room called Rockpool. This was our first visit to Amber House.

My review:

Location: Amber House is ideally located a few minutes walk from Goodrington Sands beach and a 15 minute walk from Paignton sea front although the walk back is up a challenging selection of short hills so is not for the faint-hearted, which I think I am!!. It is also close to Goodrington Station where you can catch the steam train to Dartmouth and is a very short drive from Paignton Zoo. There is a view of Torbay / Brixham from the back garden and many of the rooms.

Car Parking - Amber House had no vacancies while we were there and everyone parked in the car park in front of the house. The entrance to the car park just needs to be treated with care.

Management - John and Debbie were the perfect hosts. We were warmly welcomed and, during our stay, they were nothing but friendly, kind and helpful.

House generally - well presented and maintained and very clean. The back garden, with tables and chairs, is available to guests.

Our room (Rockpool) - ideal for us and an excellent size. Well presented and very clean. The door closer on the room entrance door works very well so build up your muscles!!

Breakfast - excellent, plenty of choice, freshly cooked and very tasty. Special dietary requirements and intolerances catered for if notice is given. A great start to the day. All the other guests, many of whom are regular visitors to Amber House, were very friendly and spoke each morning when you came in for breakfast.

The 'BONUS' - afternoon tea / coffee and delicious home-made cakes (made by Debbie) available at no extra cost between 14.30 and 17.30. You can't beat tea and cakes on a sunny afternoon, sitting in the garden.

Will we return? Absolutely. Book with confidence (see other reviews since early 2015 when John and Debbie took over).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review. We enjoy running our Guest House, which is also our home, and we aim to help everyone who stays here have an enjoyable, relaxing holiday, be it by recommending suitable activities for a day out or sat having a chat with tea and cake in the afternoon (and as most will attest to, Debbie can chat!). Having lived here for 3 years now, we are still exploring the area, so hopefully, on your next visit, we will have found other places to recommend to you. Best wishes Debbie and John

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

So... being an ex local and having stayed at numerous local south Devon b&b's the last 5 years this rates very highly on the list of those visited. Quiet location & ideally situated for Paignton being a short 15 walk into town and the seafront and the beautiful Goodrington Beach also close by. Friendly engaging English owners. Nice relaxing well kept back garden with far reaching coastal views. Dog friendly. Free car park for around 8 cars and had no problem parking. The room was a single named 'Sky'. Nicely updated decoration. Perfect for what i wanted nothing else needed, nice comfortable single bed, hot shower, with FreeSat TV. Afternoon complimentary cake and tea a nice touch. Breakfast was tasty & sufficient. Keenly priced for my 3 day stay and yes i would return. Few more condiments tea/milk needed in room but had these given when asked. Overall a very strong 9 out of 10.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope if you come back in the future to visit we will see you again. Best wishes Debbie and John

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

We just stood there for 5 Nights. Unfortunately the room Rockpool has a mold problem. These Family rooms in the ground floor are damp .... the towels never go dry for example. The whole house looks very clean, but the owner does not heat the rooms properly when the weather is cold or too humid. There is mold in the drawers and when you sleep you can smell the mold coming out of the nighttable beside of the bed. On the other hand the room Coast in the first floor of our girlfriend was always hot. I got massive Headache and a rash there over those days. So if you are taking care of your Health don't choose Rockpool.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, you have the right to your opinions and have chosen TripAdvisor to air them. In response, I will state, as I did to you during your stay, Rockpool is not mouldy or damp, the heating was turned on when requested, although it was August. Your girlfriend, when she left, told us she had a very enjoyable stay. We did everything we could to make your stay enjoyable, including catering for your special dietary requirements. The only thing we did not do was give you the refund your requested.

Below is a review left from another guest who stayed in Rockpool after you left:

This was our first visit to Amber House. Before writing my review, I have just read a 2 star review from a lady from Austria. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, which she has done and I respect that but I must now express my opinion on the items raised in her review. In Rockpool Room, there was NO mould in the drawers, there was NO smell of mould in the rooms, the room was not damp, the heating did not need to be on despite our week being no better than average temperatures (we had the windows open all the time) and our towels dried. When we needed a change of towels, the owner replaced them immediately. We did not get headaches or a rash. I cannot comment on the first floor rooms as I never went in them. These are my opinions. You only need to read other recent reviews (last 2 years) to make your assessment of Amber House.

Regards Debbie and John

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Amber House is situated half way up/down one of the many hills that Paignton has to offer, but is still well located for a 10 minutes, or so, stroll to the town or beach.

We were too late to book one of the best reviewed rooms but ours, although certainly not large in size (No. 6 Agatha) was certainly adequate, with all the basic requirements. Pleasant modernisation was obvious although some traditional furniture was still in place. The room view was to the front car parking area.

Wifi (included in the room price) was of good download/upload speed and the TV was with FreeSat for a very good choice of channels.

The bathroom was spacious with quality towelling and a great walk-in shower with good water pressure.

A fine selection of breakfast, Continental and English, choices with the mains ordered and served at the table – these were freshly cooked, hot and tasty. Although of no benefit to my wife or I, there were included well-considered options that suited most dietary needs.

At our arrival, the hotel emphasised that they are particularly dog-friendly – I do not believe that the extent of their enthusiasm was quite as strong on the booking website (otherwise, regrettably having pet allergies, I would not have booked it) - but, thankfully they did not allow dogs into eating areas and the whole establishment was kept very clean and tidy.

There is a pleasant garden area for relaxing.

Saving the ‘best until last’ is the delicious home-made cakes that are provided mid-afternoon (with tea or coffee) and, being fully complimentary, are, indeed, that added bonus.

Room Tip: We were too late to book one of the best reviewed rooms but our room (No. 6 - Agatha) was okay.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We do try to keep the Guest House as clean as possible, especially being dog friendly, and we are pleased you had no adverse reactions to the dogs that were here when you were. Hopefully, if you are down in Torbay in the future you will consider staying with us again. Best wishes Debbie and John