“Great Harbor-side spot with delicious food!”
Review of TJ's Restaurant

TJ's Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 203 Restaurants in Paignton
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We pride ourselves on having a unique combination of menus; with our Tapas style menu consisting of over 25 smaller portion dishes that can be ordered individually as a starter or in multiples to provide a complete meal - a very social and interactive style of dining, promoting lively debate between couples, families or groups until a compromise is reached concluding everyones preferences. This runs alongside our 'Chefs One Plates Menu', vastly different in content, these main courses always including a succulent Steak. These frequently changing dishes focus on our chef's culinary and artistic skills creating thoughtfully flavoured and beautifully presented meals. Lovingly prepared to order, using, as often as possible locally sourced fresh seafood, meat and vegetables.
Reviewed 15 August 2017

This was a great find at the end of a long day of traveling! Small outdoor seating area overlooking the harbor was inviting. Very helpful staff!
We sampled one of the appetizers over a couple of beers...delicious dipping sauces. The calamari was excellent and the mussels with west country cider sauce a real treat. The duck breast was also excellent although I think seafood is what they do best.
A very nice dinner in a relaxing outdoor setting! Highly recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We were staying nearby, what luck! We were staying in Paignton for 2 nights and we ate at TJ's both nights! Great food, lovely atmosphere, friendly service and fantastic food! Oh and did I say the view wasn't bad either ;-)

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We went to this restaurant with friends and it really is a hive of busyness. The waiters and waitresses were hard working in a restaurant which was being stretched to its maximum. The menu is very unusual with a difficult range of choices, totally unusual to most restaurants in the area. There are a lot of sharing dished, as I discovered when ordering my first course which was far too big for one!

My main course was duck which was quite good, but supplemented with a very tasty array of vegetables which lifted the dish to much greater heights. My companion had fish and chips and a very accomplished version, and we had no space in our stomachs for any more.

The wine list was a bit disappointing with an array of rather bog standard wines but all at very reasonable prices. The food portions were rather large which would suit a lot of diners, though not us!

A very unusual restaurant and very popular and it suits its clientelle admirably.

1  Thank dtredhead
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Fantastic food, great service and brilliant location. It is a cafe style eatery which is relaxed and very friendly.

1  Thank johnlizetal
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Honesty is always the best policy !! So honestly what an outstanding place!! From the first time I emailed TJs for a 40th party the staff were so accommodating. Nothing was to much trouble.
The surrounding are what I would call Devon! From the music to the decor it's just how you imagined a tucked away traditional restaurant. It is a little snug shall we say but our noise was quiet compared to some and if the staff were happy no more needs to be said!!
The drinks well you hit to try the pimms if I could of had a jug to myself and still be standing I woukd of.. my brother tried a local drink and had 3 ( sorry can't think what it's called )
The food can only be described as best ever. We've all been to some amazing places but we haven't tried food like that. We were told the steaks were going take sometime so they put nibbles across the table was a bit concerned of child friendly but they alter any dish to suit the needs of children. The deserts too OMD we hadv3 between 2 but I could of eaten 3 myself!
The bill was a high bill but we'll worth it and we would of paid more so we made sure the staff had a drink on us
The staff well I hope each and everyone knows that if it wasn't for them TJS wouldn't keep going because they our the root. If you want see how staff should treat you go here and be spoilt from 3 to 65 each one of us got perfect treatment playing with the kids having a joke with the adults. Just awesome !

1  Thank NorthStar662388