1,769 results
All reviews leisure club the river the hotel car park elvet bridge leisure centre excellent location a bit tired steam room per night public areas central location reception staff beautiful city superior room buffet style huge bed stayed for one night
Reviewed 11 October 2017

So after stopping here 4 years ago and vowing to never return (despite being regular Marriott customers) we decided to give it another go as were looking for somewhere to stay the night with our 2 children and most places were full / had no family rooms left.
I have to say that our stay was definitely better than our previous one, however this hotel is desperate for someone to spent some money on it.
Our room was unbarebly hot through the night - something the hotel is aware of (they had 2 plug in fans in there, and we did ring reception to ask if there was any air-con but were told that was what the fans were for. This did affect our sleep considerably.
The room itself was fine, overlooking the river.
We enjoyed the swimming pool.
Location is great!
As with our previous stay - nobody asked us how our stay was when we checked out (I'm assuming they are all fed up of complaints). We did mention the fact we were very tired due to having a terrible sleep - staf weren't interested at all.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
DurhamMarriottRoyal, Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thank you for your review. We were sorry to read about your discomfort with the room and if you were not asked about your stay on check-out as it is important to know that every guest has been satisfied with their stay. We do hope that you will again decide to stay here at Marriott on your next trip to Durham where we look forward to being of service to you.
Regards

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

2 night stay . Location wise hotel is perfect with great views of castle and cathedral. £7 a night car park but get the impression mostly used by shoppers on a Saturday afternoon. The suite has a small kitchen which is very handy ( a microwave would have been perfect in there) . Nice spacious rooms with seperate lounge and bedroom

Hotel is very dated and is in the need of significant investment ( no contactless payment , very very slow computers ) but I presume part of the hotel is in listed building so hands may well be tied.

Staff very friendly and helpful when checking in . ( service with a smile! )
However when checking out . the receptionist , very rude and abrupt which spoilt the end of a nice trip

Despite a very dated hotel and one rude Marriott receptionist would probably stay again mostly due to location and majority of helpful staff Also having a pool attached to the hotel very nice indeed

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank milkybarkid1982
DurhamMarriottRoyal, Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for your review. We're sorry the hotel did not fully meet your expectations on this visit. It is disappointing that you felt one of our team was unhelpful towards you and assure you of our commitment to providing the highest levels of customer service at all times.
We hope that we can welcome you back in the future and look forward to improving your experience.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Very central and surprisingly quiet through the night given the location and it was freshers week!

Received a complimentary glass of wine on arrival. Quick and efficient check by friendly staff.

Booked a family room (4 of us)

Very spacious with lounge area and sofa, large TV, dresser & mirror. 2 double beds, wardrobe, drawers and another large TV. Comfy beds & pillows and had a settled night.

Shower & bath available thou only 3 towels provided (we made do without so didn't report) that said the staff were very attentive so I'm sure this would have been rectified quickly.

Excellent rate too. Would defo return & recommend

Thank you for a pleasant stay.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This was our second trip back to this hotel. This time was to drop our daughter off to uni and its location was perfect. That's where the perfection stopped however. The hotel no doubt prides itself in hiring passive aggressive staff. First of all we agreed the pay £7.00 to park our car overnight (surprising as we were guests) then we had to nip into town to buy something we had forgotten. I asked at reception whether they would hold our space as I could see other families arriving ready to deposit their children. I was told this was impossible and that the policy was that if it were full then we would have to pay again at the multi-park nearby. I replied ok I had better dash then if I am to maintain my spot to which the helpful lady said "oh don't hurry we don't want you to have an accident" 'Oh so you will hold my space then" I said excitedly. "No" came the firm answer.
Later on we went to the hotel' restaurant for supper, given it was mayhem outside. We waited 45 minutes until our first course plates were collected. The main course was terrible, my husband sent it back to the kitchen. 30 minutes later nothing came back so we paid for what we had eaten and left. Leaving the manager had a pathetic look on his face as he apologised that we were disappointed and hoped we had an enjoyable rest of the evening!!!
The following morning as we were checking out another couple were standing by the reception. They were heading out but were worried that they would lose their parking space.'No worries we will put some cones out to ensure your place is safe". Said the eager receptionist. I took the photo of her doing so. I wonder whether the policy changed because they were white. Would I return NEVER. This treatment has to stop.I guess three years of our money wasn't good enough.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank paula s
DurhamMarriottRoyal, Manager at Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

We're sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay. Should you wish to discuss your concerns, we invite you to contact the Hotel Management Office.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Average hotel, no complaints but nothing special so I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway. The hotel bar was disappointing, just drab decor and no atmosphere.
Breakfast buffet however was really nice.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We're sorry that the hotel did not fully meet your expectations on this visit but hope to improve your experience should your travels bring you back to Durham.