“Fantastic restaurant, great addition to Durham”

Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill Durham
Ranked #48 of 334 Restaurants in Durham
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Came here on Tuesday evening for dinner with friends, the restaurant is beautiful, set in the original council chamber, they have complemented the original features amazingly, our waitress Jessica was very friendly and had great knowledge on the menu and gave us recommendations on dishes as we all had a difficult choice picking as everything sounded so nice! After our meal we weren't quite ready to leave as we found it such a nice relaxing atmosphere, so we found our way to the rotunda bar for a bottle of wine, all the staff were very friendly, I will definitely return.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Ate here on Wednesday night with my boyfriend and wow! Had a pre dinner drink in the Rotunda bar attached to the restaurant.
We were taken through to our table by the very friendly host and taken care of by the waitress. The food was delicious, couldn’t fault a thing. It’s such a beautiful building with all the original features still in place, so glad it has finally been put to use after being abandoned for so long, will definitely be returning.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I have to say I love the Marco Pierre White steak house in Newcastle. It’s a lovely mix of friendly and professional service with great food.
Imagine our excitement when the same restaurant is about to open in our home town in an amazing building.. well the building and surroundings are amazing and did not disappoint.
The food and service however did not match. Our waitress Ruth was lovely and I cannot fault her however I do not feel the same with other staff. We asked one member of staff for a couple of things which had to be repeated she ignored it (including the bill), the burgers were raw and we sent one back, we should have sent two but my wife was too polite (to be fair they did not charge for deserts because of this). This meant my daughter was eating after we had finished our meal.
Drinks took far too long and did not arrive until after we finished the bread we ordered. I asked for extra butter which we did not get so had to eat some of it dry and without a drink. The drinks order was wrong when it did arrive.
They did not clear anything from the table during the experience so it became crowded during the meal. No unused wine glasses were removed, we weren’t offered table water and even the bread basket was not removed when we had finished.
These things aren’t major I know but in my opinion should not happen in a restaurant of this price bracket.
Overall a very disappointing experience and does not live up to Finbarrs in the city, which will remain our restaurant of choice.

2  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Located in the Hotel Indigo in an ex debating chamber. The decoration is very nice. We could do without the photos of Marco Pierre White on the walls though .
God is of good standard. I had very nice duck rillettes and a good burger.. service was good. Wine selection is pretty standard for such a restaurant.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Well I will start by saying me and my parter love steak and we’re really looking forward to this meal after booking it before it had opened but I definitely won’t be returning!Considering it is a “Steakhouse” this was possibly the worst steak I’ve had.

We had Camembert and the tempura calamari and prawns starter which were lovely (even though they were very overpriced). We waiting 45 minutes after getting our starter for our mains to finally arrive, after complaining about the wait. I don’t understand what took so long as we went on a Wednesday evening, and the restaurant was not busy at all. But I’m sure they forgot about our mains considering the same young blonde waitress who had been serving us all night handed us the dessert menu before we had even had our steaks!

When the steaks finally arrived, I had the sirloin and my parter had the ribeye (both £25.95 each!), they were full of fat, and really chewy. I was shocked at how bad the quality was considering it was a Marco Pierre white restaurant!

After complaining to the manager about the incredibly slow service and the disappointing steaks, he was kind enough to comp the bill for us, as we did not want to pay £70 for disappointing steak and experience. The manager was very kind to us and very understanding, he seemed to be the only good thing about the place!

As you can probably guess, I won’t be returning, as it is far too expensive, regardless of how bad the steaks were. The only positives were that it is in a beautiful room, the starters were decent, and the manager is very nice and understanding. But unfortunately I would not recommend this place, which is a shame as I had high hopes up for this restaurant!

2  Thank Kathleen W